Statistics Thread

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I thought Guendouzi was **** and the only thing he does is backpass :dunno:

All he does is hold on the ball for way to long before making a decision with it, which leads to the opposition getting organized and us not being able to attack with speed, fluidity or movement. He puts his teammates under immense pressure too because he took too long to release the ball, a pass after taking too many touches doesn't lead to much else than slowing the attack down and putting the teammate under immense pressure since the defense has had more than enough time to get organized. That is if it isn't an exceptional pass which breaks the press, which is very hard in general and Guendouzi never does.

He doesn’t have the footballing brain to quickly spot an effective pass to break the press, it is no coincidence that we struggle to break teams down with Guendouzi on the pitch.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Not really statistics but I struggled finding a thread to share this twitter account in. Basically breakdowns of plays in 2D (the most superior way to play FM).

This is definitely statistics. It's using the GPS readings from Opta to construct a visual. It's a coaching aid that's analytically derived.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
0i5f89phi2j31.png

So another exercise in putting together stats based on this scoring system. This time over multiple seasons.

I've normalized stats like key passes, tackles and goals around the most impressive performances of the last four years. To do this I've taken players with at least 2/3 of every minute played, put every stat into "per 90" and accounted for the average opponent ELO. All defensive stats have also been divided by expected goals conceded per 90.
I'll include further methodology in my upcoming post, but really excited to share this already. Note though that I can't share the source data for license issues.

Yes, the rating is just the average of all the other categories. This might seemed skewed at first but consider that if you score lots of goals you're also very likely to have high xGoals values and Shots values. This means that you can get a total of 30 points from goalscoring, compared to say clearances which is only 10. Same thing goes for key passes and xAssists (and normal passing, look at D. Silva for instance). Being good at both clearances and blocks or interceptions is also worth lots of points, but is fairly indicative of a high defensive contribution.

So again, obviously not perfect representation of 'who is better'. It doesn't account for weighting certain things over others, but I still find it interesting. Remember the scores are relative to their peers in each category (best being a 10 and so on) and everything is also ELO weighted (meaning games against tougher opponents count for more, etc.).

Some really interesting standouts like Mertens 16/17 and Mkhitaryan 15/16 above anything Ronaldo posted (though we knew those were incredible seasons from those players). Unsurprisingly Messi is untouchable by almost every measure. What might surprise some people is that Messi seems to actually be getting more effective as opposed to fading with age.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Something else that I thought was pretty interesting because I made the comparison a long time ago when Sterling was still with Liverpool. But...

Raheem Sterling through age 23 season: 229 apps, 71 goals, 60 assists in the PL (City/Liverpool) Sterling also played 41 CL games between City and Liverpool registering 14 goals and 11 assists

Cristiano Ronaldo through age 23 season: 196 apps, 84 goals, 45 assists in the PL (United) Ronaldo also played 52 CL games with United scoring 14 and assisting 11

Not saying Sterling is as good as Ronaldo was, but he's certainly done pretty well for himself and deserves to be considered one of the best young players in the world.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Something else that I thought was pretty interesting because I made the comparison a long time ago when Sterling was still with Liverpool. But...

Raheem Sterling through age 23 season: 229 apps, 71 goals, 60 assists in the PL (City/Liverpool) Sterling also played 41 CL games between City and Liverpool registering 14 goals and 11 assists

Cristiano Ronaldo through age 23 season: 196 apps, 84 goals, 45 assists in the PL (United) Ronaldo also played 52 CL games with United scoring 14 and assisting 11

Not saying Sterling is as good as Ronaldo was, but he's certainly done pretty well for himself and deserves to be considered one of the best young players in the world.

Sterling is an underrated player, if he were playing for say Spurs or Atletico he would be better regarded, lots of people also don't realize how young he still is.

Messi's season was stellar, we have been saying it all the time despite the trolls asking for him when Liverpool came back, etc, we were on the tie only because of him.

@Duchene2MacKinnon will be happy to see Dybala up there in the top 20 two times despite playing in a very bad system for him

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah Messi is incredible. With him in mind I was thinking about dribbling and who the best dribblers are in the top 5 leagues this season so far. I think effective dribbling is more important than just how many dribbles are completed so here's what I found. All figures are 'per game'.

The top 3, with 3 'net' dribbles would be Nabil Fekir (5.6 total, 4.3 successful for a 'net score' of 3), Felipe Anderson (4.4 total, 3.7 successful for a 'net score' of 3) and Mateo Kovacic (3.6 total, 3.3 successful for a 'net score' of 3).

The top dribbler of each league so far has been Nabil Fekir (La Liga), Felipe Anderson (PL), Christopher Antwi-Adjei (BL), Arnaut Lusamba (L1) and I excluded him from the overall ranking but for Serie A there's a Gaetano Castrovilli who has 5.5 total with a massive 5 successful dribbles for a 'net score' of 4.5 so far.

Some notable relative 'flops' so far this season being guys like Jadon Sancho with 3.7 successful but 3 failed dribbles per game also, Mbappe with 3.7 successful and 2.3 failed, Angel di Maria with 3.5 successful but (lol) 5 failed, Kingsley Coman with 1 successful and (lol) 3 failed, Diogo Jota with 1.8 successful and (lol) 3.3 failed and Wilfried Zaha with 3.3 successful and 2.5 failed.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Agreed, he's fantastic.

That said, Ronaldo only really had one ridiculous scoring season at United, and then went on to explode in Madrid.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
in99ejys17l31.png

ustn7dfu17l31.png

Thought this was neat. It was in a discussion about whether or not Alisson deserved his awards. Oblak is a beast.

Save percentageShots saved divided by total shots faced, multiplied by average opponent ELO.
xGoals conceded performance.Expected goals conceded per 90 minutes, subtracted by actual goals conceded (then divided by xGConceded again), multiplied by average opponent ELO.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Saw this table recently also:

PlayerGoalsAssistsxGxAShotsKey PassesBig Chances created
Firmino0.570.720.540.343.81.450.95
Aguero1.60.41.290.395.022.010.6
Kane0.670.160.510.113.350.670.16
Aubameyang10.160.530.053.330.670
Vardy0.50.160.230.121.50.50.16
Abraham1.5100.70.193.891.30.21
Pukki10.330.520.363.530.840.5
Salah0.680.510.570.212.882.030.33
Mané0.840.210.390.282.52.50.42
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Now these are all per 90 stats and doesn't even take into account how important Firmino is in the build-up and against/off the ball. He's really stepped it up offensively this season. Aguero is on fire (obviously) this season as well.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Darder is a player I have been eyeing for a while now, I think he would do well outside of Espanyol. Good skill and is pretty versatile in where he can be deployed in mid field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->