Statistics dont lie: How many player make it to the big stage

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
You have a define player and define making the NHL.

Are you looking for what percentage of players who played any form of organized hockey after age 8 play 5 NHL seasons?
Are you looking for what percentage of players who played at least two seasons in the OHL play a single NHL game?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
In the above article it notes that 0.02 percent of hockey-playing boys in Ontario will make a ‘career’ out of hockey.

You'd have to take all regions and come up with an average to answer your own question OP.

Have fun with that.

In all sports the numbers are minuscule though.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
In the above article it notes that 0.02 percent of hockey-playing boys in Ontario will make a ‘career’ out of hockey.

You'd have to take all regions and come up with an average to answer your own question OP.

Have fun with that.

In all sports the numbers are minuscule though.

No that's not exactly what it said. It said .02 percent of hockey playing boys in Ontario will end up playing 400 games or more in the NHL. Making a career in hockey is another thing. Many players who can not make it in the NHL end up playing in the European leagues. That could be considered making a career out of hockey.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
No that's not exactly what it said. It said .02 percent of hockey playing boys in Ontario will end up playing 400 games or more in the NHL. Making a career in hockey is another thing. Many players who can not make it in the NHL end up playing in the European leagues. That could be considered making a career out of hockey.

Not exactly what the article said? I cut and pasted that quote from the article. Now you can add more from the article if you want to if you feel it better illustrates the overall picture, with .16 being drafted.

So it is actually exactly what the article said.

"So if we count the 400 game league minimum for the Player Pension as having a ‘career’ in the NHL, then 0.16 percent will get drafted into the NHL and only 0.02 percent of hockey-playing boys in Ontario will make a ‘career’ out of hockey."

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Not exactly what the article said? I cut and pasted that quote from the article.

I guess.

But the part you quoted was the "then" part of an "if/then". And the "if" part is important.

I mean, I could just as easily quote the article and say "hockey-playing boys in Ontario will make a ‘career’ out of hockey", and conclude that it's 100%. I mean, it's literally a direct quote from the article. What's the problem?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
This thread, by the way, is a textbook example of why the thread title "Statistics dont (sic) lie" is false.

You can quote numbers all you'd like, but if you don't know what you're doing with them, you won't get very far.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
This thread, by the way, is a textbook example of why the thread title "Statistics dont (sic) lie" is false.

You can quote numbers all you'd like, but if you don't know what you're doing with them, you won't get very far.

You obviously have a keen understanding of statistics and numbers, and how to use them properly. Please share them with us so as to better answer the OP's question.

edit: I believe the original thread title has been modified, so that may play a role in the semantics here.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
A tiny fraction will get to the top while most will struggle and never make it big. For hockey players it's no different. Fill a room with 10,000 hockey kids and you'd be lucky to find one who plays a single NHL game. That's why we pay big bucks to watch 'em though.

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I guess.

But the part you quoted was the "then" part of an "if/then". And the "if" part is important.

I mean, I could just as easily quote the article and say "hockey-playing boys in Ontario will make a ‘career’ out of hockey", and conclude that it's 100%. I mean, it's literally a direct quote from the article. What's the problem?

There is also:

Out of the select 30,000 players they studied, 48 were drafted by an NHL team, and 39 of those 48 actually signed contracts with an NHL team. Of that 39, only 32 actually played in the NHL, and only 15 of those players played more than one full season

And important note:

.. that study was initially done in 1991 and there has been nine new teams added since then, opening up about 205 spots.

This article was written in 2014, so you have to add one more team - Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->