Statistically this has been Subban's best season since his Norris trophy win ('12-13)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I made this same post in the Karlsson thread on the main board, if Subban keeps this up there might be a shot of him winning the Norris even if he's 10-15 point behind Karlsson. He's putting up phenomenal numbers.

Subban vs Doughty vs Karlsson - advanced stats comparison
(stats you should mainly be looking at: GF/60, GA/60, FF60, FA60, FF%, OppGF%, OppFF%)

As you can see Karlsson is well below Subban and Doughty defensively, whereas Doughty is well below both Subban and Karlsson offensively. Subban has the best balance when it comes to offense <> defense.. by far. Subban is putting up comparable numbers to the year he won his Norris (2012-2013) and he was godly that year (he had 68.1 GF% that year and an absurd GF/60 to GA/60 ratio, great FA60 aswell).

DirA4NO.png
(SUBBAN)

9WjfqB4.png
(KARLSSON)

zdzIBQj.png
(DOUGHTY)

source:
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1190
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1332
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1001

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know why we put so much emphasis on Subban's Norris, which was awarded for half a season's worth of games. We've also seen a lot of defensemen have Norris worthy half-seasons only to fade in the 2nd half and not receive Norris consideration. I'd be wary about using stats from the lock out year, it's an anomaly more than anything.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I don't know why we put so much emphasis on Subban's Norris, which was awarded for half a season's worth of games. We've also seen a lot of defensemen have Norris worthy half-seasons only to fade in the 2nd half and not receive Norris consideration. I'd be wary about using stats from the lock out year, it's an anomaly more than anything.

Half a season is still half a season (everyone played the same amount of games and Subban was BY FAR the best player that year), he had great numbers in 2011-2012 aswell. 2013-2014 was by far his worst year. Stats-wise he was ok last season, definitely high end dman worthy but nothing earth-shattering. It's just nice to see that he's taking his game to another level.

I wish it translated into more offensive production but **** happens, i mean just look at Crosby. Cold streaks happen but if he keeps up this level of play he'll get rewarded in the long run.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Half a season is still half a season (everyone played the same amount of games and Subban was BY FAR the best player that year), he had great numbers in 2011-2012 aswell. 2013-2014 was by far his worst year. Stats-wise he was ok last season, definitely high end dman worthy but nothing groundbreaking. It's just nice to see that he's taking his game to another level.

I wish it translated into more offensive production but **** happens, i mean just look at Crosby. Cold streaks happen but if he keeps up this level of play he'll get rewarded in the long run.

I merely brought it up since you referred to his Norris. However, a half season skews results unless all of your data is presented by half seasons. Just my opinion, I may be wrong. Thanks for highlighting the data.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I merely brought it up since you referred to his Norris. However, a half season skews results unless all of your data is presented by half seasons. Just my opinion, I may be wrong. Thanks for highlighting the data.

It definitely does but he's played almost the same amount of games as that year which is why i presented the data (in order to point out that he's playing at a high level right now).

Will he maintain a 60%+GF during the entire year like he did in 2011-2012? It's doubtful in today's game (i feel like the game's much harder now than it was even 4-5 years ago) but if he does that would be a pretty impressive achievement. I dunno how much weight advanced stats carry in the Norris voting tho, in theory great advanced stats should translate to great defensive play on the ice so hopefully they'll notice his play.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Stats and data? Please.

Spinorama's, Slapers & triple low fives? That's what matters.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I just want PK to pick a top corner and hit the net.....like before :laugh:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...he's nowhere near Norris worthy this year...he needs to be allowed to go back and play his game, not the neutered Therrien version...

...and before any Sens fans chime in here, neither has Swedish Jesus been Norris worthy this year...yes, his offense is great, but he's been an absolute disaster most nights in his own zone...

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
To the OP, you picked a bad night to pump Subban's tires.

First goal he was caught and watched the goal being scored.
Second goal, he turned the puck over.
Third goal, not his fault but he was nowhere close to "playing defense" on that play.

Weise scoring that goal on a broken play kept our $9 million dollar man from being -3 for the night.

But yeah, Norris......

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
To the OP, you picked a bad night to pump Subban's tires.

First goal he was caught and watched the goal being scored.
Second goal, he turned the puck over.
Third goal, not his fault but he was nowhere close to "playing defense" on that play.

Weise scoring that goal on a broken play kept our $9 million dollar man from being -3 for the night.

But yeah, Norris......

thats exactly why i made the thread :D, i wanted to represent his season as a whole

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He doesn't have 10 goals so I don't think he's statically dominant. He's very good though.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
You know what would be really cool? If his shot could hit the net a little more often.

Or even better... if it could go IN the net. Ooooh!

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
...he's nowhere near Norris worthy this year...he needs to be allowed to go back and play his game, not the neutered Therrien version...

...and before any Sens fans chime in here, neither has Swedish Jesus been Norris worthy this year...yes, his offense is great, but he's been an absolute disaster most nights in his own zone...

Damn that Therrien and his voodoo magic making poor PK miss the net on every shot he takes.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Damn that Therrien and his voodoo magic making poor PK miss the net on every shot he takes.

loled

Subban is playing inspired hockey I like his playmaking abilities but I'd also like to see him take more slappers like he did in the past.

But really when he's having an off game it shows, like yesterday against the Sharks. He's the locomotive of the team alongside Gallagher and Price.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He can't hit the broadside of a barn with his shot this year. It's not just bad luck he only has 1 goal. He's not even close to getting the puck on net most of the time.

Less time working on "the Subban brand", more time working on the slap shot.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's always effective defensively, without his shot he's a turnover risk in the offensive zone as his shot attempts miss/get blocked and leave him in bad position. This is the worst we've seen him offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad