Stationary Stickhandling while on skates kills my back

grafgulch

Jul 2, 2019
I have a problem practicing my stickhandling while stationary on the ice & on inline skates, my back starts aching and have no the strength to stay in the skater stance position. While I am in the knees bent stance I seem to drift backward as I work on the stickhandling. Do I need to just work thru the pain and wait to get stronger, or is there something else I could be doing to help out?

TIA,
Paul

Last edited:

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Squat thrusts and ladder training. Strengthen your core muscles with squat thrusts, and ladder training will build your interior/anterior ligament strength in knees, ankles, hips.

Your lower back is overcompensating for the deficiency in those other areas.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If you’re drifting backwards you could be too hunched over and your feet start to go backwards as a counter balance measure.

And if you’re too hunched over that could be due to bad posture and balance in your hockey stance.

Try to stay as upright you can and perhaps widening or narrowing your base depending on comfort.

Could be general strength and conditioning like the poster above said too.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Try taking video of yourself doing your drill. Double check if you're in the proper stance or if you're bending at the waist instead of the knees.

grafgulch

Jul 2, 2019
Thanks everybody.. I believe you all hit on some of my mistakes. I started playing in a old man ice hockey league a few years ago. I'm in my mid fifties, so I am not as limber has I use to be.

I bought a pair of inline hockey skate last week, just to get in better shape and improve my skills off-ice. When it raining, which seems to be every other day, I can practice stick handling in my basement with my inline skates on. I've noticed if I don't lace of my skates all the way I can get in the proper stance with less strain. I just gotta keep it up. My next step is to how to improve my backwards crossovers.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
You might be bending over and not down.

Picture an accordian on end and compress it. Shoulder,knees and toes over each other. Head more or less up and back not rounded.

Also, I'd bet you're tensing up while doing your drills. Really try and breath and relax while moving the puck around. Remember, you're really pushing the puck with the blade and not hitting it.

Hope this helps.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
When I first started to play, I realized I was a LOT better on my skates if I took the approach of 'be on the ice like a chicken' (legs bent, butt out, back straight and head up) and 'be proud, head up, puff the chest, you're a hockey player!'

It tend to force the good posture and for me it was a world of difference. It changed my attitude on the ice as well. I might not be that good, but I'm not playing to admit defeat. I'm ready to compete with my limited abilities...

Last edited:

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Use a longer stick

Mine sits perfectly under my nose when I'm on skates
Just 'longer stick' is not necessarily the answer. Check the Lye of your stick. It may be that when you hold it in your normal position, the toe is not touching the ice, that would be too long a stick or your lye is wrong. If you stick handle and force your position to suit your badly fitted stick, it will result in bad position and hence back pain...

Reactions: tarheelhockey

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I had this issue as a kid. I’m a low skater, stand higher/more straight up when doing such drills.

I’d have to move my feet during such drills, just slightly to give myself the “skating” feel, which helped my posture. When I was older, I did change the lye of the stick (mentioned above) and that did help. Also helped my stick handling too. Just many years too late

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Could be an imbalance in your core or tight hamstrings. Both can lead directly to back problems.

For your core - I recommend planks, kettlebell twists, pull-ups, and the slam ball.

For your hamstrings - I recommend taking a dog leash, lying down, placing your foot through the handle, and then pulling your leg straight up using the leash. This is great for the hammies prior to working out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad