State of the Habs General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Even when looking at individual Corsi it's still a team stat because the 4 other guys on the ice with you have a huge impact on your Corsi. Even when looking at Relative Corsi it can be misleading because of the different usage. A guy taking all the defensive responsibility is going to have a worse relative Corsi then a teammates who plays a sheltered role for example.

A great example of this is Subban's drop in Corsi last season, which should be associated with certain factors like getting defensive zone starts at a much higher rate than his previous seasons, while facing the toughest opposition and carrying a corsi deadweight in Emelin for a good deal of the season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Finally, a big center ...

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2018-08-22-%C3%A0-19.05.13.png

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
My guess for starting lineup (assuming Byron not ready to start the season) :

Domi - Drouin - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Danault - Hudon
Lekhonen - Plekanec - Armia
Deslauriers - Peca - DLR

Scherbak to AHL (would prefer him on 2nd line but Hudon won't clear waivers.)

Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Rielly/Schlemko - Lernout/Benn

Price
Lindgren

Going to be interesting to see some of our youngsters perform.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Listening to tsn690 asking listeners who is their favorite to have a breakout season.

Well one thing's for sure, we have a lot of players that have the potential to take their game to another level. It will be interesting to see if they can:

Scherbak
Drouin
Domi
Lehkonen
Hudon
Armia

Juulsen
Mete

Long shots: Reilly, Shinkaruk, Lindgren

(it's just too bad we don't at least have Galchenuk, not to mention Radulov, Markov, Subban, Sergachev, and Eller to play with them).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Deslauriers - Peca - DLR

Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Scherbak also has to clear waivers.

One of Armia, Scherbak, and Hudon will have to play on the 4th line. For me, it's Armia.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Might be a bit off topic, but from an outsider looking in - when will the Habs (if they ever) hire a coach/gm/front office guy that isn't very fluent in, or does not speak any French at all?

What I'm getting at is there seems to be a shrinking (if not very limited) number of quality coaches that might be considered a candidate for any head coaching position in todays NHL that's fluent in both languages...Has Montreal shot themselves in the foot with what is this perceived prerequisite?

Again - as an outsider - this is what I've 'heard' over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryson

OB5

May 2, 2015

Deslauriers - Peca - DLR

Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Why is DLR in over anyone?

OB5

May 2, 2015
Might be a bit off topic, but from an outsider looking in - when will the Habs (if they ever) hire a coach/gm/front office guy that isn't very fluent in, or does not speak any French at all?

Maybe when the Nordiques come back

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Detroit is more likely to hire a non-English speaking FO person in a position of power than Montreal putting a non-French speaking.

That said, I’ve never had a problem with the language requirements... I just had problems with who they’ve hired, though they definitely hired the right people recently in Ducharme and Bouchard. I know they aren’t heads of the big club, but they are good hires nonetheless.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Would there be any outrage by the fans/media if it were to happen within the next few years, or would people in Montreal just shrug it off, and hope for the best?

From the French fans and media, absolutely yes. I'm not trying to sound insensitive or anything but that's the reality.

Reactions: PhysicX

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Dunno? Red line isn't a full red line anymore?

It looks like the Habs are finally going with only one logo at center ice now. For the longest time now they've done the two small logos at center ice, like this:

bell-centre.jpg

Now instead of having two small logo's being separated by the red line, it looks like they're only going to have one big logo that is cut in half by the red line.

Personally, I prefer the new look. I never liked the dual logo thing.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Scherbak also has to clear waivers.

One of Armia, Scherbak, and Hudon will have to play on the 4th line. For me, it's Armia.

Didn't realize Scherby was waiver eligible.
Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Exactly. Any GM who fails to bring the Cup to Montreal will be lumped in with all the other failures of the past quarter century. In the end, it isn't really about Bergevin himself because he only differs from his recent predecessors in style. The results are no better or worse than theirs were. We're essentially arguing over degrees of failure. Does it really matter whether Bergy is a bigger failure at his job than Gauthier or Gainey were? The only salient fact is that they are all failures.

We need a Boss who understands winning is an attitude.
Time to dump the bubble gum philosophy that's somehow become deeply entrenched in just about every aspect of our hockey culture. It permeates our local fanbase and we no longer have standards worth mentioning. There is blame to go around everywhere starting with politics, economy, ownership, management, the ever loving media and a blasé fanbase. I don't expect any championships here until there is a drastic change in our approach.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Again, I'm not some mega geek that's only basing his whole opinions on stats 100% of the time but those stats can sometimes reinforce and sometimes weaken a preconceived opinion based on the eye test.

Yeah our terrible play last year was all a preconceived opinion...
In the pre-season. :huh:
We can put Corsi away for now.
I'm still digesting the fact that we were a possesion team last year according to some advanced crap-stat.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I just can't see him beating out any of those players, including Scherbak, for a roster spot.
If given a fair opportunity to compete for a spot...he's better than Plekanec, McCarron, or any other center not named Drouin/Danault on this team.

Which isn't saying much, but he's a better player than most give him credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad