State of the Habs General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
[I'm making this thread to discuss general points that might not fit into any of the particular active threads. Now, to start this off ...]

I am curious how Julien will partition the ice time between Drouin, Danault, and Plekanec. IMO, Danault and Plekanec are Julien-like players, if it were entirely up to him they would consume 36-40 minutes of ice time between the two of them.

However, there may be pressure from management to structure the team so as to make Drouin look good. In practice this would mean playing Danault on wing, but the GM is kind of dumb. So I could see Drouin getting the Desharnais treatment of the 2014-2016 period, with Plekanec and Danault perhaps splitting the middle-six duties.

De La Rose and McCarron will thus be left with little ice time.

The logjam at centre also means that if they like Kotkaniemi's game, and decide that they and they alone at best at developing him, that he'll then play on third line wing to develop his defense, as defense wins championships.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
[I'm making this thread to discuss general points that might not fit into any of the particular active threads. Now, to start this off ...]

I am curious how Julien will partition the ice time between Drouin, Danault, and Plekanec. IMO, Danault and Plekanec are Julien-like players, if it were entirely up to him they would consume 36-40 minutes of ice time between the two of them.
So true lol :laugh:

However, there may be pressure from management to structure the team so as to make Drouin look good. In practice this would mean playing Danault on wing, but the GM is kind of dumb. So I could see Drouin getting the Desharnais treatment of the 2014-2016 period, with Plekanec and Danault perhaps splitting the middle-six duties.

The logjam at centre also means that if they like Kotkaniemi's game, and decide that they and they alone at best at developing him, that he'll then play on third line wing to develop his defense, as defense wins championships.
Drouin, Danault, De la Rose, McCarron, Peca...are centers the coaching staff should focus on trying to develop this year.

This should be a priority.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
There's no way Danault is playing on the wing! He's almost as good as Plekanec defensively and clearly still has some untapped offensive potential IMO while Plek is on the decline.

My guess for the centers next seasons is:

Peca, Drouin Plek and Danault in no particular order, too bad for DLR as I like that kid.

Reactions: Acadien86

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There's no way Danault is playing on the wing! He's almost as good as Plekanec defensively and clearly still has some untapped offensive potential IMO while Plek is on the decline.

My guess for the centers next seasons is:

Peca, Drouin Plek and Danault in no particular order, too bad for DLR as I like that kid.
He's better than Plekanec...well at least that's what your advanced stats say.

Or are those stats now meaningless?

Reactions: Peanut

OB5

May 2, 2015
It's funny how there's a logjam at C but there's no real top 6 natural Cs.

Obviously Drouin has top end skill but as a C he's still finding his path and will take more time for him to get used to using his talents down the middle. It's a process and it seems like they're going with him at C so they and we still need to be patient.

It's also a weird scenario because they have pegged Poehling and Kotkaniemi as the Cs of the future...so what does it look like next year when they are both presumably on the team?

Does Drouin stay at C?

Do they thrust Kotkaniemi and Poehling into 1 and 2? 2 and 3? Where does that leave Danault? do they move Drouin to the wing?

Lots of uncertainty.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Obviously Drouin has top end skill but as a C he's still finding his path and will take more time for him to get used to using his talents down the middle. It's a process and it seems like they're going with him at C so they and we still need to be patient.

It's also a weird scenario because they have pegged Poehling and Kotkaniemi as the Cs of the future...so what does it look like next year when they are both presumably on the team?

Does Drouin stay at C?

Do they thrust Kotkaniemi and Poehling into 1 and 2? 2 and 3? Where does that leave Danault? do they move Drouin to the wing?

Lots of uncertainty.

I don't see Poehling and Kotkaniemi making the team next year. But maybe they will. I'd hope that they spend a full year in the AHL.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's better than Plekanec...well at least that's what your advanced stats say.

Or are those stats now meaningless?

Plek was at 2.43 GA/60 last season while Danault was at 2.68, he's getting there slowly but nice try to ridicule something you clearly don't embrace... Try again.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Does Drouin stay at C?

Lots of uncertainty.
It would help if the team had another experienced but capable top 6C to ease some of the pressure off Drouin.

That's the funny thing with some of these advanced stats

Reactions: OB5

OB5

May 2, 2015
I don't see Poehling and Kotkaniemi making the team next year. But maybe they will. I'd hope that they spend a full year in the AHL.

Poehling is going pro, Kotkaniemi is arguably ready now (he isn't but he will make a case for himself at camp) so you have to think they're both going to push for a spot at camp next year. I do think that they should both ease into the pro game but if they outplay their counterparts (see Gallagher and Galchenyuk) then you make room for them right?

There's also wildcards like Evans who could push hard for a spot and I wouldn't sleep on Peca either..there's a ton of skill there.

I'd say on opening night it looks like this:

Drouin
Danault
Peca
Plekanec

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Plek was at 2.43 GA/60 last season while Danault was at 2.68, he's getting there slowly but nice try to ridicule something you clearly don't embrace... Try again.
Yet Danault's relative corsi is 3.39%

While Plekanec's is -0.09%

Your brain must be imploding right now...your own advanced stats foiling you.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
#1C - Drouin - 18min
#2C - Danault - 16min
#3C - Plekanec - 16min (1st PK unit)
#4C - Peca/JDLR - ~10min

Seem pretty simple to me.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yet Danault's relative corsi is 3.39%

While Plekanec's is -0.09%

Your brain must be imploding right now...your own advanced stats foiling you.

That site you're using is not really precise from what I've been able to generate on my own...

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on numbers taken from there, to be honest.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Assuming Pehling and Kotkaniami hit, and Drouin moves to the wing...does it look like this?

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Danault
4th?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That site you're using is not really precise from what I've been able to generate on my own...

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on numbers taken from there, to be honest.
So I should put more emphasis on numbers that YOU provide as opposed to the site dedicated to Corsi stats huh?

LMAO

Hey, i'm sure corsica hockey's own corsi stats are skewed...the numbers for Danault & Plekanec are all messed up lol.

you're just proving my point about the subjectivity of these stats.

Sit down

OB5

May 2, 2015
4th?..........who did we give up for him? Or is he another Bergevin reclamation project?

You don't know who he is? Bad fan.

Someone like Evans or Peca in that role maybe...or maybe it's someone not on the team yet.

Can we move forward a year in time?

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

A log jam at cente? That is a very sad truth eh...

There is NO way Drouin should be any where near the centre position.............he is beyond awful at C. If his last name was Galchenyuk or Macdonald etc he would be on the wing. Also our clown GM said, he is a winger, even though they put him at C.

So, if Julien is as stupid as Therrien and Bergevin, and puts Drouin back at C hopefully the media will call him out on it.........I would rather see Domi a C than Droiun.

Where will it all go, who knows with the clowns running the show, but hopefully it all blows up in their faces, and Bergevin is fired in November.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So I should put more emphasis on numbers that YOU provide as opposed to the site dedicated to Corsi stats huh?

LMAO

Hey, i'm sure corsica hockey's own corsi stats are skewed...the numbers for Danault & Plekanec are all messed up lol.

you're just proving my point about the subjectivity of these stats.

Sit down

It's just an observation I'm sharing... Relax...

That guy doesn't even have the right TOI and GA, GF numbers! So, please... Do whatever you want my friend.

I'm not even sure you understand what relative Corsi means... Like what exactly you were trying to prove through that stat you supposedly understand?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to be hijacked and turned into yet another discussion about Bergevin.

The answer today is 15 posts. But I'm sure we can beat that if we try a bit harder next time.
This is what it all has become...............there is no way around it..................fire his A$$ and we can talk about something else.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Like how bad the new GM is
Exactly. Any GM who fails to bring the Cup to Montreal will be lumped in with all the other failures of the past quarter century. In the end, it isn't really about Bergevin himself because he only differs from his recent predecessors in style. The results are no better or worse than theirs were. We're essentially arguing over degrees of failure. Does it really matter whether Bergy is a bigger failure at his job than Gauthier or Gainey were? The only salient fact is that they are all failures.

Reactions: Acadien86

OB5

May 2, 2015
Exactly. Any GM who fails to bring the Cup to Montreal will be lumped in with all the other failures of the past quarter century. In the end, it isn't really about Bergevin himself because he only differs from his recent predecessors in style. The results are no better or worse than theirs were. We're essentially arguing over degrees of failure. Does it really matter whether Bergy is a bigger failure at his job than Gauthier or Gainey were? The only salient fact is that they are all failures.

I have to think that Peca can outperform Plekanec, DLR and the other fringe Cs on the team...he's my dark horse...I love his skill set and I think he's going to raise a lot of eyebrows at camp.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's just an observation I'm sharing... Relax...

That guy doesn't even have the right TOI and GA, GF numbers! So, please... Do whatever you want my friend.

I'm not even sure you understand what relative Corsi means... Like what exactly you were trying to prove through that stat you supposedly understand?
Please share what CF% you have for both players then or are you now arbitrarily deciding what advanced stats are meaningful depending on your stance?

And yes i'm well aware of what relative Corsi means, it's not rocket science, relax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad