State of the Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
This team's consistent inconsistency is beyond frustrating. Nothing has changed --at least for the better-- since last season, which reminds me of this article by Stephens following our playoff exit.

The following quotes were all spoken by GMBM:

"We just played a team that was way faster than us [...] And they played the game faster than us."

"I think it’s remarkable that we made the playoffs. But in making the playoffs, did we screw up some other things? That’s where I’m trying to get my head around. Sometimes it’s better to miss (the playoffs) [...] I talked to (Florida GM Dale Tallon) this morning and he says look at you and look at me. My pick’s a lot better than yours right now. I said, ‘You’re bloody right it is.’"

"As I said during the year, I didn’t really think our team play was that great this year [...] What are the reasons for that? Well, obviously we were in survival mode for half the year. We got the rest of the guys back and we were trying to make the playoffs. So there were a lot of things with our team play that were just not good enough."

"Good goaltending tends to cover up a lot of crap. And it did a good job of that."

Bolded are the quotes that particularly stand out to me. Everything about this team, from the front office to the on-ice product, has been a broken record going on two seasons now.

GM Bob Murray says Ducks have to get faster to compete – Orange County Register

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Unless we are getting a top 10 pick, I'd much rather make the playoffs and have a later pick then miss the playoffs and pick 15th.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
This team's consistent inconsistency is beyond frustrating. Nothing has changed --at least for the better-- since last season, which reminds me of this article by Stephens following our playoff exit.

The following quotes were all spoken by GMBM:

"We just played a team that was way faster than us [...] And they played the game faster than us."

"I think it’s remarkable that we made the playoffs. But in making the playoffs, did we screw up some other things? That’s where I’m trying to get my head around. Sometimes it’s better to miss (the playoffs) [...] I talked to (Florida GM Dale Tallon) this morning and he says look at you and look at me. My pick’s a lot better than yours right now. I said, ‘You’re bloody right it is.’"

"As I said during the year, I didn’t really think our team play was that great this year [...] What are the reasons for that? Well, obviously we were in survival mode for half the year. We got the rest of the guys back and we were trying to make the playoffs. So there were a lot of things with our team play that were just not good enough."

"Good goaltending tends to cover up a lot of crap. And it did a good job of that."

Bolded are the quotes that particularly stand out to me. Everything about this team, from the front office to the on-ice product, has been a broken record going on two seasons now.

GM Bob Murray says Ducks have to get faster to compete – Orange County Register

Bob's frustration with Florida having a better pick could be a moot point since our drafting is usually very solid. It's too early to tell whether people would prefer anyone picked between #15 and #22 over Lundestrom or whether Bob may have been able to package a higher pick with something else to move up a bit further in the 1st round, but the early returns suggest we got a good player who certainly has the same upside of most if not all players picked in the 10 to 20 range.

I didn't really understand that quote at the time and still don't. The gist of it seems to be that he is saying it is better in the long run to tank a season than be a bubble team but Florida and Anaheim at the time were both basically bubble teams and finished only 5 points apart. So Florida ended up getting a slightly better pick in a part of the first round that was basically a crap shoot and we may have ended up with the best player available in that range anyway.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I think a lot of his comments at the time were reactionary based on how the season went down...maybe not a completely true sense of how he really feels when he calms down.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Looks like Flyers asked for permission to speak with Nonis about their GM job?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't see any reason to panic about this. Am I missing something?
I saw some folks on the Ducks subreddit talk about Nonis being the one involved with the Rakell contract, so maybe there's worry we won't be able to sign RFAs to cheap deals anymore? I'm not sure how accurate that is, I thought BM was in charge of all that.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Watching Sharks-Senators. It's an early game so started 7pm here. I've complained a lot on us being bad, but man are Sharks bad in this game.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
I saw some folks on the Ducks subreddit talk about Nonis being the one involved with the Rakell contract, so maybe there's worry we won't be able to sign RFAs to cheap deals anymore? I'm not sure how accurate that is, I thought BM was in charge of all that.

Incorrect. That was McNab.

Reactions: dracom

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ryan Kesler: 6 points in 26 games.
Kesler has a worse contract than Perry, Perry is on LTIR & insurance covers 80% of that i recently read ? Then add in that Kesler has an extra year remaining on his contract.
So if thats true then: After Perry is back & he gets injured again & when its clear he may be finished, a salary floor team will be open to acquiring him ? since insurance will cover 80% of it but their will still be a cap hit so it helps them reach the salary floor.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ryan Kesler: 6 points in 26 games.
Kesler has a worse contract than Perry, Perry is on LTIR & insurance covers 80% of that i recently read ? Then add in that Kesler has an extra year remaining on his contract.
So if thats true then: After Perry is back & he gets injured again & when its clear he may be finished, a salary floor team will be open to acquiring him ? since insurance will cover 80% of it but their will still be a cap hit so it helps them reach the salary floor.
Yes, Keslers offensive game is underwhelming, but he is averaging 17:41 of mostly important minutes, and leading team forwards on PK TOI.

PS
Getzlaf is 3 points away from 900 in his career

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kesler doesnt seem like the type to accept ltir

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Injury Update:

So, as of right now, Eric Stephens posted that Cam might be back as of January sometime, as long as everything heals well. That's a lot quicker than I was expecting.

Eaves had a fractured rib, and that was what was causing the back spasms. Unknown when he'll be back (did we ever know really?) but they're hoping no surgery.

Forwards:

Sprong now somewhere in our lineup. He has to stay up, so hoping he can produce, and in a role that fits his style.

This also means Silfverberg trade rumors heating up even more, since we have so many RW (and if Eaves/Perry ever get back).

For the time being, wondering if we'll be sending a winger down. Guessing it would be Gibbons or Sherwood, and Street (he's up again, right?). Aberg has continued to produce, amazingly.

Center is probably our strongest position, especially with Rowney back. Kesler still looks slow and a bit weak, unfortunately, and he's still logging relatively high minutes, mostly in a defensive role and PK. Though he DID have a nice assist on Lindholm's goal last game. I have no clue how they let him sit there next to the crease with no coverage. LOL

On LW, Cogs finally got his 2nd goal of the season. Ritchie is looking better and more mobile (and with less stupid penalties) than last year. Rakell is still holding down the top position, though his production has sort of sucked.

Defense:

Lindholm, Manson, and Montour are our core non-injured. Why did Dotchin play only 7 minutes last game?

With Pettersson gone, Larsson has likely locked down the position, and we'll see Mahura playing again, with Welinski in the sidelines. Past that group, we've got our washed up NHLers Schenn and Sustr, and perhaps Megna as the next callups.

Goalie:

We've got good goalies =)

Misc:

What else? We're still mostly getting outshot, but things are starting to look generally better on that front. It's mostly not double the shots against anymore.

Still looking a bit lost in our zone sometimes, but I think we're getting it out of our zone better, and our PK has been looking fairly solid.

We're sitting in 2nd in the Pacific with some games in hand on most of the rest of the division...but the best the Sharks could do right now is be even in points with another win. I guess the Yotes could win 4 games to come even with GP, and be 1 point ahead.

We're only 6 points back and 1 game more played compared to the Central leaders, the Preds. So in all, things aren't all that bad. Will be sad to lose Silf though. No more Ooh Ahh.

That about sum things up?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sharks have 1 more ROW so they'd push the Ducks out of 1st place if they match the Ducks in points.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Personal summary of the current state:

Injury Update:

Perry still out, but word is he's ahead of schedule of his March comeback. No word past that, so perhaps we see him mid-late February is my guess. Early February would be very optimistic.

Cam still out with new, likely permanent plates and screws in his face. Maybe he can face-check some fools now. Been skating in drills with the group, but no official timetable for his return. Guessing we see him in the next week or two.

Eaves still out, as is Ricky Raks. However, word today from Elliot Teaford is that these two, plus Ben Street, are skating together on a 5th line. We might see Eaves within the month. Hoping Ricky gets back in the next 2 weeks.

Miller still out from his December strained MCL. Likely to be back at the end of the month or so.

Forwards:

They're not scoring much, and with no consistency. Our most consistent scorer lately has been Kase. His line with Uncle and Ritchie seem to be our most effective overall.

Getz is consistently our true 1C as expected, but it's tough when he's centering Aberg (who's been doing fine overall) and Sprong (who has no boards game to speak of and is soft on the puck).

The Shutdown line is pretty bad. They're still generally good defensively, but almost 0 offense to speak of, and a lot of that has to do with Cogs and Kesler...both of which are underperforming to a huge degree. Kes just doesn't look bae, and Cogs' stone hands are catching up with him. In fact, Kes has the team's worst +/-, at -13, and is on pace for a 15 point season. That's disgusting.

Our 4th line is a rotating cast centered by Rowney, who we're overall pleased with, I'd say. I guess we should say Sherwood is a constant too. In a 4th line role with an average 11:20 per game, he's outscoring Kesler, who gets an average 17:40 per game.

Overall, our forwards just suck. I honestly think we might be really happy when Perry gets back.

Defense:

Montour leads the pack with 20 points (5-15) in 41 games. Next is Lindholm with 16 points (4-12) in 35 games. For all that Montour is supposed to be an offensive guy, Lindholm is roughly equal with him. There's a dropoff to the next D, Manson (3-7), who's tied with Fowler even though he has double the games played (37 vs 19). In Fowler's place for these past few weeks has been Jacob Larsson, who is showing almost no offensive upside, but may still develop into a decent 2nd/3rd pairing D for us.

With no more Pettersson, our 3rd pairing sometimes uses Dotchin, though we can't for the life of us figure out why he is sitting on the bench for entire periods. He also cleared waivers recently, to the surprise of most of us, I think. Much speculation on why he's sat. His normal partner these days is Mahura, who is being protected pretty strongly from bad matchups, and probably with good reason, as he needs to develop a bit more.

Sadly, our D hasn't been doing much on the D side of things, as the past 5 or 6 games have seen us give up 3 more more goals in all but 1 game (the most recent vs. Tampa of all teams).

Goalie(s):

It's all (star) Gibson, all the time. With Miller out, we just don't have what I would consider a reliable alt option. The two times our new pickup Chad Johnson has stepped in, he's been serviceable and has a .911 SV%, but has let in some questionable goals. Hoping Miller gets healthy quickly, and also that Gibson can stay healthy.

Misc:

In a season that has now gone past the 40 game mark, we are currently:
  • In 4th place in the Pacific Division, and 8th place in the Western Conference.
  • Surprisingly only 9 points away from the top in the Western Conference leader (the Flames for crying out loud), with the same # of games played.
  • Tied for 27th in goals for (102)
  • In 17th place for goals against (120)
  • One of the lowest PP performers, with only 17 PP goals scored and 14.8% conversion from 115 PP opportunities. We're also one of the most penalized teams (as usual) with 145 penalties called on us.
  • On a 6 game losing streak.
We need some more goal scoring badly. We also need to stop making so many mistakes and shore up our D, as we're surely wearing out Gibby.

Our HF group has offered a whole bunch of ideas, from trading away Fowler, Montour, Eaves, Kesler (good luck), Getzlaf (LOL), etc., to firing RC (which is not going to happen), to pretty much anything else out there. We definitely won the Sprong/Pettersson trade, even though we didn't, our AHL group continues to be mediocre, and Lundestrom appears to be heading back to the Swedish league for the rest of the season.

At least GMBM doesn't feel our stars are "f***ing horseshit." Amirite? (The Athletic article doesn't have to censor...)

Reactions: Paul4587

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'm just very unhappy with the team overall.

Seems to me our so called owners are paying like $50/week to Carlyle and happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad