OT: State of Texas Hockey Thread

Brand New Stars

Allen wins 4-3 in OT to go up 3-1 in the series and can win it all to go back to back tomorrow night. I went to this one and it was pretty entertaining stuff.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Also;

I quit following the CHL, and now there's a team from Brampton?! WTF?! How does the low budget CHL survive with all of these trips to Ontario?

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I went to a game in Allen exactly once. In 2010, playoffs, and the game with the infamous fight in front of the benches vs Rapid City.

Good times.

Brand New Stars

Allen went back to back tonight winning 5-2. Went on the ice for the celebration. Pretty cool.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I have a fairly obscure scoop. The new Texas Jr. Brahmas of the NA3HL have hired Al "Looney" Rooney AKA the Incredible Dancing Goalie, who played for San Angelo, FTW, Amarillo, and four other WPHL/CHL teams. He's best known for dancing to the arena music during stoppages in play during games.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I have a fairly obscure scoop. The new Texas Jr. Brahmas of the NA3HL have hired Al "Looney" Rooney AKA the Incredible Dancing Goalie, who played for San Angelo, FTW, Amarillo, and four other WPHL/CHL teams. He's best known for dancing to the arena music during stoppages in play during games.

I'm pretty sure I scored on him in a drop in game a few years ago. Kind of cool that he stuck with the game as long as he did/has.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I'm pretty sure I scored on him in a drop in game a few years ago. Kind of cool that he stuck with the game as long as he did/has.

He played a totally random style of flopping around and ending up in the splits a lot, and wore a Hasek-style mask. If that sounds familiar it was probably him! He was fun to watch back in the day. He's been in Nashville coaching the Jr. Preds I'm thinking.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Whoever runs Allen really hates Dallas.

Sweet Caroline, yelling red during the anthem and now this?

Jeez man.

Its a weird situation, Allen and two other old CHL teams are owned by three brothers, I guess they bought the team right after Allen won that last championship. The old owner I thought used to be a big Stars fan and some stars from the cup run were minority owners at one time I thought, dont really know what happened since then

Brand New Stars

Apparently the Americans mishandled the relationship (don't know the details) with the former Stars players. Things went south from there. If anything, it could be some people associated with the Stars that don't like Allen.

The new owners bought the team the night they won the championship this year. I really doubt they're the ones that wouldn't want to be with Dallas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's likely as simple as Dallas had a standing agreement with Idaho. There was no guarantee the CHL-ECHL group would get this done, and Dallas wasn't going to be left without a team. They clearly were going to have too many prospects to all fit in the AHL.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see Dallas buy Allen. At the very least, I'd be surprised if they weren't the ECHL affiliate next year. The SJ agreement is for one year, and they'd obviously prefer someone closer to them ... most of the ECHL teams are closer to them. Even Idaho would make more sense for them.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If he's got Europe out of his system, and he's willing to focus on staying in North America, I still think he could turn into a pretty good AHLer. We'll see though. Would be cool if he could develop enough into being a long term vet for Texas. Just from a local perspective.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
If he's got Europe out of his system, and he's willing to focus on staying in North America, I still think he could turn into a pretty good AHLer. We'll see though. Would be cool if he could develop enough into being a long term vet for Texas. Just from a local perspective.

Would he be too old for that? I mean he is probably already 27 or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad