Stastny for Calder?

habs1988

Mar 1, 2003
I don't know
Visit site
I think that Stastny should have a serious look for the Calder this year. I know everybody has talked about Malkin and Kopitar, but Stastny is having a heck of a season. Malkin is playing with Crosby and Recchi and his team is better than the Av's. Kopitar is playing with Camalerri and Frolov. Stastny is playing with Hedjuk and Sakic.

Stastny has 2 pts today vs Detroit and now has 62 pts (22 goals-40 assists) in 66 games while Malkin has 69 pts (29 goals - 40 assists) in 61 games so far. Kopitar is having a season of 56 pts (18 goals - 38 assists) in 63 games. Malkin and Kopitar are minus while Stastny is +1. I know Stastny is older, but he is so a clutch player, more than Malkin IMO. Malkin is a clutch player when he is playing with Crosby.

So what do you think ? Do you think Stastny could be the Clader winner?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Malkin doesn't play with Crosby most of the time.

And Stastny is a "clutch player" on a team that isn't even going to make the playoffs. What exactly is so clutch about that?

Jori

Should he get consideration? Yes. Does he have a legitimate chance to win? No. The award is still Malkin's to lose. Stastny may move to number two with Kopitar's injury.

The award is based on player performance, not team performance. Whether the Avs make the playoffs or not is irrelevant.

Paul only plays with Sakic on the PP, otherwise he centers the second line. In today's game he had Hejduk and McLean on his wings.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Malkin doesn't play with Crosby most of the time.

And Stastny is a "clutch player" on a team that isn't even going to make the playoffs. What exactly is so clutch about that?

Sakic isn't clutch, because his team isn't making the playoffs?

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Ovechkin, the winner of last year's Calder didn't go to playoff.

Give a better argument why he couldn't be considered as Calder candidate.
Stastny is on 15 game point streaks, when points are tight and we are pushing for playoff.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I think that Stastny should have a serious look for the Calder this year. I know everybody has talked about Malkin and Kopitar, but Stastny is having a heck of a season. Malkin is playing with Crosby and Recchi and his team is better than the Av's. Kopitar is playing with Camalerri and Frolov. Stastny is playing with Hedjuk and Sakic.

Stastny has 2 pts today vs Detroit and now has 62 pts (22 goals-40 assists) in 66 games while Malkin has 69 pts (29 goals - 40 assists) in 61 games so far. Kopitar is having a season of 56 pts (18 goals - 38 assists) in 63 games. Malkin and Kopitar are minus while Stastny is +1. I know Stastny is older, but he is so a clutch player, more than Malkin IMO. Malkin is a clutch player when he is playing with Crosby.

When will people realize he very rarely plays with these 2. ES these 2 play with Derek Armstrong. Through out the whole year these guys may have played a period COMBINED. Crawford very rarely breaks up that line. Kopitar has had Brown on one wing all year and until the last few weeks had a rotating wing on top of centering Thornton, Willsie, Avery , etc. Its a common myth that he plays with Frolov and Camms.

wicker

Oct 2, 2006
I'm sure he will be getting more attention come Calder time, but I think that Malkin has it in the bag. And now with Kopitar to miss the next few games (life is cruel, I say), he'll move to second, most likely.

NHL33*

Should he get consideration? Yes. Does he have a legitimate chance to win? No. The award is still Malkin's to lose. Stastny may move to number two with Kopitar's injury.

The award is based on player performance, not team performance. Whether the Avs make the playoffs or not is irrelevant.

Paul only plays with Sakic on the PP, otherwise he centers the second line. In today's game he had Hejduk and McLean on his wings.

Exactly. He deserves serious consideration, and he'll probably move to second in voting due to Kopitar's injury, but he is not this year's Calder winner. It's Malkin's to lose.

Playa Hamm*

He has no chance to win, not cause he's not worthy. but because the nominees will be a combo of Malkin, Staal and one other Eastern Rookie.

Stastny > Staal

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
He has no chance to win, not cause he's not worthy. but because the nominees will be a combo of Malkin, Staal and one other Eastern Rookie.

Stastny > Staal

It really bugs me the way some people tooting East Coast bias.
I don't think hockey media will be THAT blind and stupid to put three East Coast rookies. Frankly, that is very dumb to put all players from one coast.

My prediction: Staal won't make it, unless he did brilliant job in the playoff. At least one Western rookie will make it.

Please take off your east coast googles off.

Playa Hamm*

It really bugs me the way some people tooting East Coast bias.
I don't think hockey media will be THAT blind and stupid to put three East Coast rookies. Frankly, that is very dumb to put all players from one coast.

My prediction: Staal won't make it, unless he did brilliant job in the playoff. At least one Western rookie will make it.

Please take off your east coast googles off.

Let's put it this way, if 2 of the 3 nominees for the Calder AREN'T from the West (Vlasic, Kopitar, Stastny), then there is something gravely wrong.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Let's put it this way, if 2 of the 3 nominees for the Calder AREN'T from the West (Vlasic, Kopitar, Stastny), then there is something gravely wrong.

What? So if Malkin AND Stall are nominated for ROOKIE OF THE YEAR then there is something gravely wrong?

Sorry, that's too much. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Playa Hamm*

What? So if Malkin AND Stall are nominated for ROOKIE OF THE YEAR then there is something gravely wrong?

Sorry, that's too much. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Stastny, Vlasic, Kopitar have been the best players for their teams, as rookies.

Lumos

Jul 20, 2006
Chicago

Kopitar does NOT play with Cam and Fro.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
As much as I like Stastny (personally, he is my favorite rookie this year), I don't think he has a chance at the Calder. There is no question that Malkin has been better, and unless Malkin really drops the ball the last quarter of the season and Stastny really turns it up, Malkin will win.

I do expect Stastny to finish second or third in the voting, though.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Where does this thought from everyone come that Kopitar plays with Cammalleri and Frolov? I just really would like to know, every time people talk about how someone is better or deserves it then follows up with a comment like that disproving they ever watch him play.....

Transported Upstater

Where does this thought from everyone come that Kopitar plays with Cammalleri and Frolov? I just really would like to know, every time people talk about how someone is better or deserves it then follows up with a comment like that disproving they ever watch him play.....

1) Because for many of the East Coasters...we unfortunately do not get to see the West Cost teams often enough.

2) Watching players play is unimportant!! What IS important are biases and stats!!! :teach:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Don't you love it. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->