Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Barkov.......top 10 C
Trocheck....low end 1C and getting better
Bjugstad.....2C
McCann......developing 3C
MacKenzie..decent 4C
Malgin.........been playing top 6 wing but could be a good 3C
Borgstrom...demolishing the NCAA and projects to stay at Center when he comes to the NHL next year

Our issues stem from lack of any wing depth beyond Dadonov and Huberdeau (also McCann plays poorly on the wing where he's had to be for extended parts of the season) and from having a defense in shambles with goalies that never bail us out. But our center depth is our one bright spot

you have a 25 year old with one 40pt season to his name as a 2c? he had 14pts in 54 games last year.

Barkov - top 15C
Trochek - High end 2C
Bjugstad - 3C
McCann - 4C that is turning into a 3C

panthers are strong down the middle, but im pretty sure they are well behind a few teams.

the leafs for example, had a 40g #1C, 32g #2C and 55pt #3C

Matthews> Barkov
Kadri < Trochek
Bozak > Bjugstad

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'd love Hoffman on the Flames but I have absolutely no idea what we would offer. How often does he play RW? I know he's listed as both in fantasy.

Draft picks should be off limits at this point and frankly we would have way too many NHL players. We need to get rid of some players before we pick anyone up.

Bennett - Jankowksi - Hathaway have been amazing and should not be touched.

Jagr, Versteeg, Brouwer, Ferland, Stajan, and Lazar would be left over for the 4th line.

Just doesn't make sense with a big clearout first.

Reactions: Depch

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd love Hoffman on the Flames but I have absolutely no idea what we would offer. How often does he play RW? I know he's listed as both in fantasy.

Draft picks should be off limits at this point and frankly we would have way too many NHL players. We need to get rid of some players before we pick anyone up.

Bennett - Jankowksi - Hathaway have been amazing and should not be touched.

Jagr, Versteeg, Brouwer, Ferland, Stajan, and Lazar would be left over for the 4th line.

Just doesn't make sense with a big clearout first.

Unless they'd want some D prospects like Valimaki or Fox.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
* The Calgary Flames and Ottawa Senators have been in talks (almost everyone is talking to Ottawa it appears)...however Calgary is very high on Mike Hoffman...Keeping an eye on that one...

I can't see Calgary going after a $4M Left shooting forward
Gaudreau - Monahan
Tkachuk - Backlund
Bennett (our best forward the last month) - Jankowski

We'd have to trade Backlund (please no) and move Bennett back to centre (why?) just to fit Hoffman into the line-up.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Trade needs from Florida perspective:

Barkov, Trocheck, Bjugstad, McCann, Malgin, MacKenzie + prospects Borgstrom, Ang makes for a pretty damn nice center pool in terms of depth. It's one of the deeper center depth pools of the league de facto. People should not mix up depth with it being the best. Like for sure the Penguins have a better 1-2 punch for example. Edmonton has a better 1-3 in MacDavid, RNH, Draisaitl. Florida does not have the best 1-4 punch down the middle in the NHL, but a very deep one for sure and that top 2 is really good as well.

They are really weak on wings in a good top 2 of Huberdeau & Dadonov but after that Vrbata (down year so far & also lacks a playmaker), McGinn (nice 3rd, but used at 2nd due lack of depth usually), Brickley (ok bot 6), Haley (ok 4th), Sceviour (ok 4th). This unbalance forces them to use a lot of centers on wings, but Bjugstad is starting to get to that position as well. He's looking good this season and could have a lot more points. There are some projects upcoming in the prospects though to fill that weakness on the wings potentially in Tippett, Mascherin, Heponiemi luckily enough.

Things for the future are looking good because everyone in core is still 25 years old or younger so they're all still very young and in unison with the upcoming prospects for future competition. But things are a couple of years away from being ideal. The centers Florida also have are not known for playmaking ability outside of Barkov, so they might have a use for a defensively responsible / playmaking center for 3rd line role to balance out that deep center pool. Trocheck, Bjugstad and even McCann look like to be a bit more of a go guys than elevating their linemates with their play so far. A move like thats could help Vrbata get going as well.

In that sense perhaps Pageau could be used (I have not followed Ottawa much), but I could rather see them do some changes from center to wings. Also you just don't want to see your own centers come back haunting you for years in the same division if they hit their full potential. The difficulty in making trades is the upcoming projects on wings and that the trade should be a long term option as there is no need for a quick fix for this season even though they are still not too far out of a possible playoff push.

They've been improving on the defense with leaps from the beginning of the season as well. The defense is one of the youngest ones in the NHL Ekblad 21, McCoshen 22, Weegar 23, Matheson 23, Petrovic 25, Pysyk 25 + Yandle as a vet. They're improving and I don't see a need for a trade in, but rather move one of the rhd out probably Pysyk or Petrovic or even Weegar but he's had some nice moments as a rookie and is definately improving. Defense also has a good prospect project in Gildon.

In goaltending Luongo is hurt and Reimer has been playing very well in his absence, but the Panthers are not trusting Säteri at the moment and Reimer can't carry all the workload during the absence of Luongo. Can they do another temporary move though for a couple of months and what happens then. What would they do when Luongo gets healthy. Most sense would make a promising goalie who can play backup and be put to AHL when Luongo gets healthy. Is Mrazek like that or too good (and expensive) for AHL? It's a really tough call.

In short Florida possibly looking:
-A long term option of a playmaking defensive minded mid 6 center?
-Long term options for a 2nd line lw. Can perhaps be bumbed down to 3rd line lw in 2-3 years. So even a vet might do who is not expected to regress fully within the next 5 years.
-An upcoming goalie who can play a backup role & be put to AHL after a couple of months. Perhaps future backup next year or the year after that.

I've started a couple threads about McCann to MTL because I recognize this. Obviously Barkov and Trochek are signed long-term and not going anywhere. FLA may be hesitant to trade Borgstrom this early (not that I wouldn't ask anyway), I'm weary of Bjugstad's consistency so far, Malgin is small for an already small MTL line-up, so McCann may be a fit.

Habs have plenty of wingers who would explode playing with Barkov or Trochek and Lindgren is a future G option who can backup now and is waiver-exempt to AHL while FLA makes full-time space for him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's been rumoured the Oilers are in on Hoffman as well.

Thankfully the Flames are pretty much out of draft picks for the next couple seasons so it'll be tough to scoop Edmonton... again...

Calgary doesn't make a ton of sense for Hoffman IMO, don't they need RW help more than anything?

Yep, I would only want Stone.

Feb 24, 2017
Discuss these points because the pre-trade freeze was pretty uneventful.

* The Calgary Flames and Ottawa Senators have been in talks (almost everyone is talking to Ottawa it appears)...however Calgary is very high on Mike Hoffman...Keeping an eye on that one...

* The Penguins would really like to find a new home for Ian Cole...the latest team I have heard is Chicago...

* The Panthers have been looking around a lot as well....the latest I have heard is Mrazek to Florida (e3) but I know they are also interested in Pageau in Ottawa...

* The Leafs are talking to the NY Rangers...but not about JvR as far as I can tell...Bozak is a possibility...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...e-FreezeLeafs-Sens-Flames-NYR-Florida/1/89722

Yes it's Eklund, but we are starving.
Why are you so obsessed with trades? Do you hate all the players on your team and wanna change em all out?
Does it make you sick that a guy like Yzerman was so boring and never left Detroit? Is Ray Bourque your shining hero cause he was in Boston for 59 minutes, won a cup in minute 60 with another team, proving that player movement is so special?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Why are you so obsessed with trades? Do you hate all the players on your team and wanna change em all out?
Does it make you sick that a guy like Yzerman was so boring and never left Detroit? Is Ray Bourque your shining hero cause he was in Boston for 59 minutes, won a cup in minute 60 with another team, proving that player movement is so special?

I don't think I'm obsessed. I haven't posted on HF long enough for you to slot any of my interests.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Discuss these points because the pre-trade freeze was pretty uneventful.

* The Penguins would really like to find a new home for Ian Cole...the latest team I have heard is Chicago...

* The Panthers have been looking around a lot as well....the latest I have heard is Mrazek to Florida (e3) but I know they are also interested in Pageau in Ottawa...

* The Leafs are talking to the NY Rangers...but not about JvR as far as I can tell...Bozak is a possibility...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...e-FreezeLeafs-Sens-Flames-NYR-Florida/1/89722

Yes it's Eklund, but we are starving.
I don't like rumours.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Maybe I’m off just because I don’t watch a lot of Florida, but Barkov is not a clear cut top 10 center: Crosby, McDavid, Malkin, Matthews, Kopitar, Tavares, Stamkos, MacKinnon, Scheifelie, Seguin, Giroux and Eichel. I’d personally put ahead with lots close. Now don’t get me wrong, I think Barkov is phenomenal and I’m not arguing that.

I’d also think these teams (obvious west cost bias) have better overall center depth. Ducks (Getzlaf, Kessler, Henrique, Vermette), Stars (Seguin, Spezza, Hanzal, Faska), Preds (Johansson, Turris, Bonino, Sissons).

There's also a couple of pretty decent centers in Boston, ever hear about some guy named Bergeron and another named Krejci?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Why not? Can't the guy just be interested in trades for the sake of it? Why are you here, aren't you interested in trades too? This is a "Trade Rumors and F/A talk" section isn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad