Starting Six: Winnipeg Jets All-Time Lineup

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Kovalchuk never played for the Jets :rant:

I agree and was somewhat disappointed when I got into this thread after reading the title. I was expecting opinions based on players that actually wore a Jets uniform. In my mind the all-time left winger for the Jets was Bobby Hull not Ilya Kovalchuk of Atlanta.

:jets

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I agree and was somewhat disappointed when I got into this thread after reading the title. I was expecting opinions based on players that actually wore a Jets uniform. In my mind the all-time left winger for the Jets was Bobby Hull not Ilya Kovalchuk of Atlanta.

Kovy for ATL > Bobby for WPG isn't that much of a stretch IMO.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Kovy for ATL > Bobby for WPG isn't that much of a stretch IMO.

Unfortunately, many on this board are too young to have seen the Golden Jet during his playing days in Winnipeg. In the meantime we should take advantage of the thread title and make our own list if we so choose. Here's mine:

Center - Dale Hawerchuk
Right Wing - Teemu Selänne
Left Wing - Bobby Hull
Defence - Lars-Erik Sjöberg
Defence - Dustin Byfuglien
Goaltender - Bob Essensa

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Center - Dale Hawerchuk
Left Wing - Bobby Hull
Defence - Teppo Numminen
Goaltender - Bob Essensa

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Was going to post same thing.

Perhaps one day, we'll look back and think...

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Morrissey Trouba

Hellebuyck

Is the best, because they won more cups. :D

If Moz is ever better than peak Enström I'll **** my pants.

In the good way.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Unfortunately, many on this board are too young to have seen the Golden Jet during his playing days in Winnipeg. In the meantime we should take advantage of the thread title and make our own list if we so choose. Here's mine:

Center - Dale Hawerchuk
Left Wing - Bobby Hull
Goaltender - Bob Essensa

Bobby had a few great years in an undeniably tier 2 league. great player, and important figure in the Jets and WHA history, but in terms of overall performance on ice, I'll put it this way: are we gunna include Manitoba Moose players?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
From a pure performance standpoint, players in their prime at each position:

Centre: Hawerchuk
Right wing: Selanne
Left wing: Laine
Defense: Housely
Defence: Trouba
Goalie:Essensa

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Bobby had a few great years in an undeniably tier 2 league. great player, and important figure in the Jets and WHA history, but in terms of overall performance on ice, I'll put it this way: are we gunna include Manitoba Moose players?

That analogy misses the point of why Hull was in the WHA.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

We'll only include players who wore the uniform of the Winnipeg Jets (WHA, NHL 1.0 & NHL 2.0). In regard to your earlier point, I think you're underestimating the talent we had on the team when Hull played for the Jets and in particular the years with Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson as his linemates.

I think you should read "The Hot Line" to gain a better perspective on the WHA Jets and what others thought of them including those in the NHL. You'll be quite surprised at the attention they were drawing in both leagues. Gordie Howe (Mr. Hockey) believed the Houston Aeros would have been a top 6 team in the NHL. The Winnipeg Jets were the most dominant team in the WHA history, so where do you think they would have ranked if Houston was a top 6? To include the Manitoba Moose in the discussion regarding Bobby Hull's place as one of the best Jets ever is a little bewildering. I hardly think the Moose would ever have been able to beat the Soviet national team at that time never mind try to keep up with them on the ice.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Laine Ducky Selanne
Numminen Buff
Khabibulin

1 Canadian
3 Finns
1 American
1 Russian

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Hull - Hawerchuk - Selanne
jet.jpg
Hawerchuk_Dale01.jpg
d072427028_23252107.jpg

Numminen - Byfgulien
a2533f5a16ce2a77cf726c447b5fd5f1.jpg
Winnipeg+Jets+v+New+Jersey+Devils+JRzdN-CSBlwl.jpg

Khabibulin
90s-phx-wpg-g-nikolai-khabibulin-wpg.jpg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Great Lineup Here !!!

Center - Dale Hawerchuk
Left Wing - Bobby Hull
Goaltender - Bob Essensa

Pretty hard to go wrong with icing these guys !!! Bobby Hull was one of the best, and had one hella of a shot. Not sure about Bob Essensa, I didn't really see him play. I do like the rest of your lineup-"totally agree"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->