Lumme Salo
Edler Tanev

Luongo
Schneider

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
But but but Luongo didn't score any goals. :cry:

What's funny is Luongo and McLean both gave up the same amount of goals in the SCF (20 each). Luongo had 8 goals of offensive support in that series and took the Canucks to game 7. McLean had 19 goals of offensive support. Give Luongo 11 more goals of support and the Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup.

But hey, let's ignore their entire careers and judge them (wrongly) based on one series. :laugh:

Let's also ignore how league scoring changed making those goals not quite even, as well as how score effects play a role in team scoring (Bruins sat back and collapsed the net and relied on the counterattack when leading, but when even or down were forced to open things up and the Canucks could create far more dangerous chances). Luongo was still the superior goalie with the better Canucks career. He should be the choice for this list and his finals blame gets overblown. But let's not pretend he wasn't still poor in the finals overall and that McLean didn't have the clearly superior run.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Don't agree. Both teams lost in game 7. Luongo had better numbers than MacLean up until the finals. Luongo has better all-time playoffs numbers. Luongo is a two-time Olympic gold-medalist but MacLean would never have even been considered for the team. One is a superstar and the other one is essentially Jaroslav Halak through rose-colored glasses.

There's no need to go the other way with things. McLean was still considered a high end goalie for periods of the late 80s and early 90s. He has 2nd and 3rd place Vezina finishes and a 4th place Hart finish. Hardly Jaro Halak

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I'll take playoffs McLean over playoffs Luongo without even thinking about it 365 days a year. Since the second round against the Ducks in what 07? Luongo has been shaky in the playoffs. He never performed to that level again on a consistent basis.

I don't have much of a problem with the OP's list though. Top 3 are kind of no brainers. Defencemen there's really only one spot to argue about.

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Generally I'd take McLean over Luongo as well.

Luongo does have more of knack for being shaky at crucial times. ie: 2010 olympics, 7uongo, etc.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The only debate should be who pairs with Ohlund on D. I personally have Jovo, but you can make a case for a lot of guys.

I was never a big Ohlund fan either, post-lockout I felt he was awful and couldn't keep up with the play, but given our lack of historical good dmen (on either side, let alone the right) he's probably up there.

I would probably go Jovo too, but Reinhart probably deserves some consideration. As does Lumme. Luca Sbisa should get some votes too.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Let's also ignore how league scoring changed making those goals not quite even, as well as how score effects play a role in team scoring (Bruins sat back and collapsed the net and relied on the counterattack when leading, but when even or down were forced to open things up and the Canucks could create far more dangerous chances). Luongo was still the superior goalie with the better Canucks career. He should be the choice for this list and his finals blame gets overblown. But let's not pretend he wasn't still poor in the finals overall and that McLean didn't have the clearly superior run.

Two 1-0 shutouts in the SCF, an accomplishment that hadn't been done in over 50 years when he did it. Series would have been over in 5 if not for Luongo. But hey, let's just discount that. Let's also discount that all of his defensemen were injured. Let's also ignore that heading into the SCF he was a the likely candidate for Conn Smythe.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'll take playoffs McLean over playoffs Luongo without even thinking about it 365 days a year. Since the second round against the Ducks in what 07? Luongo has been shaky in the playoffs. He never performed to that level again on a consistent basis.

I don't have much of a problem with the OP's list though. Top 3 are kind of no brainers. Defencemen there's really only one spot to argue about.

I take it you aren't a fan of crap-the-bed-Luo?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm curious what everyone's Vancouver Canucks all-time PLAYOFF starting line up is?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Shutouts were apparently all Luongo but the losses weren't on him at all. Ok....

+1.

Complete revisionist history on Y2K's part.

Although the scores were close in Games 1-2, the Canucks carried the play significantly in those games. In both games, Boston looked very gassed in the 3rd period.

Even in Game 5 when the refs were pretty much trying to give the game to Boston, the Canucks defensive play as a whole was exceptional. And yes - Luongo was also exceptional.

To say that the Canucks would have lost in 5 to Boston had in not been for Luongo is both ignorant and disrespectful.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
No. My faith in him as a big game performer dwindled slowly year after year following 2007. He would play great some games, then crap the bed. No consistency. In those years it was usually at the hands of Chicago.

That's my whole thing with Luongo post 2009 playoffs as well.

Absolutely brilliant performances followed by massive WTF's. Be it Minnesota, Chicago, Boston, or specific players (i.e. Byfuglien, Kane, Marchand, etc.), Luongo allowed specific teams and/or players to lay egg shells in his psyche.

Don't get me wrong - I love Luongo and also believe that he was our best goalie of all-time, but when the chips are down, I'd take 94' playoffs McLean over Luongo 10 out of 10 times. With Captain Kirk, you knew what you were going to get. With Luongo, you just never knew if it was going to be Patrick Roy or Kay Whitmore back there.

Luongo will be known as the Curtis Joseph of his era in my opinion........which is not bad at all. He just won't be in the Roy/Brodeur/Hasek category as many of us thought he would be after his brilliant performance in 2007..........where he almost singlehandedly shot us past Dallas (Y2K's implication that Luongo carried the team would be applicable to that 2007 playoff series imo).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm curious what everyone's Vancouver Canucks all-time PLAYOFF starting line up is?

Good question:

Off the top of my head, here is who I'd like to see:

-Bure
-Kesler
-Burrows
-Greg Adams
-Linden
-Mclean
-Ohlund
-Reinhart
-Salo
-Hamhuis
-Geoff Courtnall
-Bertuzzi
-Cooke
-Naslund
-H.Sedin
-D.Sedin
-Ronning
-Jeff Brown
-Jyrki Lumme
-Tiger Williams
-Stan Smyl

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Naslund-Linden-Bure
Courtnall-Kesler-Smyl
Adams-Ronning-Bertuzzi

Cooke or Tiger Williams

Reinhart-Ohlund
Hamhuis-Salo
Lumme-Brown

Edler (2011 version)

McLean
Luongo

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
That's my whole thing with Luongo post 2009 playoffs as well.

Absolutely brilliant performances followed by massive WTF's. Be it Minnesota, Chicago, Boston, or specific players (i.e. Byfuglien, Kane, Marchand, etc.), Luongo allowed specific teams and/or players to lay egg shells in his psyche.

Don't get me wrong - I love Luongo and also believe that he was our best goalie of all-time, but when the chips are down, I'd take 94' playoffs McLean over Luongo 10 out of 10 times. With Captain Kirk, you knew what you were going to get. With Luongo, you just never knew if it was going to be Patrick Roy or Kay Whitmore back there.

Luongo will be known as the Curtis Joseph of his era in my opinion........which is not bad at all. He just won't be in the Roy/Brodeur/Hasek category as many of us thought he would be after his brilliant performance in 2007..........where he almost singlehandedly shot us past Dallas (Y2K's implication that Luongo carried the team would be applicable to that 2007 playoff series imo).
I mentioned 2007 in my first post in here as Luongo's playoffs high watermark. If that was a more important series like a cup or conference final it would go down as the greatest goaltender battle of all time.

Good question:

Off the top of my head, here is who I'd like to see:

-Bure
-Kesler
-Burrows
-Greg Adams
-Linden
-Mclean
-Ohlund
-Reinhart
-Salo
-Hamhuis
-Geoff Courtnall
-Bertuzzi
-Cooke
-Naslund
-H.Sedin
-D.Sedin
-Ronning
-Jeff Brown
-Jyrki Lumme
-Tiger Williams
-Stan Smyl

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Naslund-Linden-Bure
Courtnall-Kesler-Smyl
Adams-Ronning-Bertuzzi

Cooke or Tiger Williams

Reinhart-Ohlund
Hamhuis-Salo
Lumme-Brown

Edler (2011 version)

McLean
Luongo
You possibly forgot number 55.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
+1.

Complete revisionist history on Y2K's part.

Although the scores were close in Games 1-2, the Canucks carried the play significantly in those games. In both games, Boston looked very gassed in the 3rd period.

Even in Game 5 when the refs were pretty much trying to give the game to Boston, the Canucks defensive play as a whole was exceptional. And yes - Luongo was also exceptional.

To say that the Canucks would have lost in 5 to Boston had in not been for Luongo is both ignorant and disrespectful.

It's not ignorant and disrespectful. What's ignorant and disrespectful is ignoring an accomplishment that Luongo achieved that hadn't been done in over half a century. What's also ignorant is to think the Canucks would have won the Cup if not for Luongo. In order for that to happen, our goalie would have literally had to score a goal, or win another 1-0 game. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Two 1-0 shutouts in the SCF, an accomplishment that hadn't been done in over 50 years when he did it. Series would have been over in 5 if not for Luongo. But hey, let's just discount that. Let's also discount that all of his defensemen were injured. Let's also ignore that heading into the SCF he was a the likely candidate for Conn Smythe.

Performing great (while looking somewhat shaky) in two games or a meaningless trivia stat still doesn't make up for the poor play. And no, we don't know how the team would have done without him, as even the breakdown in game 3 potentially changed the mindset of the entire team. Again, your entire premise of the goals the team scored being the only goals they would have scored regardless of how anyone played in net is extremely flawed. Nothing happens in a vacuum in a game or a series. You can defend Luongo from the unrealistic criticism of that series without trying to create this ridiculous narrative that he was actually good in the finals. And McLean was also the team's Conn Smythe favorite, while actually having good skater competition in Bure and Linden. Luongo was the favourite largely because none of the skaters stood out throughout the first three series and often alternated good and bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad