Starting Six: Toronto Maple Leafs All-Time Lineup

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
"Not only was Horton an intimidating player, but he was durable. He still holds the Leafs consecutive games record, at 486 regular season games. The total was the record for defencemen until broken in 2007 by Karlis Skrastins."

Wait what?

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
"Not only was Horton an intimidating player, but he was durable. He still holds the Leafs consecutive games record, at 486 regular season games. The total was the record for defencemen until broken in 2007 by Karlis Skrastins."

Wait what?

..when he was a member of the Colorado avalanche. What an incredible feat. RIP

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Nostalgia by boomers (like me) for the teams of their youth is warping the judgment of people who make these lists. The list makers may not remember the 60's directly but they probably heard lots of stories about them. I loved the Leafs of that era too. Check out my handle and avatar! But let's do a little researchand look for actual accomplishments.

The best and most dominant decade for the Leafs was the 40's. The best center was Syl Apps, by a considerable margin. Charlie Conacher, of the 30's, was a repeat first all star, goals leader and scoring champion. George Armstrong was a superlative leader but only an average player.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nylander - Matthews - Marner

Salming - Horton

Bower

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Wait what?

The NHL record for most consecutive games by a defenceman was owned by Horton, until it was broken by Karlis Skrastins.

Does that make it more clear?

Horton had two records; a team record for consecutive games and a league record for consecutive games by a defenceman.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The NHL record for most consecutive games by a defenceman was owned by Horton, until it was broken by Karlis Skrastins.

Does that make it more clear?

Horton had two records; a team record for consecutive games and a league record for consecutive games by a defenceman.

You phrased is as "Leafs record". It should be "NHL record".

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Apps was better than Keon and Conacher was better than Armstrong.

I'd go with:

Mahovlich - Apps - Conacher

Salming - Horton

Bower

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
You phrased is as "Leafs record". It should be "NHL record".

Edited to:

Not only was Horton an intimidating player, but he was durable. He still holds the Leafs consecutive games record, at 486 regular season games. The total was also the NHL record for defencemen until broken in 2007 by Karlis Skrastins.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Clark Gilmour Vaive

Salming Neidermayer...Sorry they traded that draft pick that became SN

Cujo

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Turk Broda was better than Johnny Bower
He played 2 more seasons as a Leaf but we had 30 more shutouts & 83 more wins & 5 Stanley Cups.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
as much as i respect bower i'm not sure how broda wouldn't be the goalie.

nice to see some other posters mention him as well.

conacher is another one that should be on the list.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Sittler hands down the best best centre, the focus on the 10 pt game and rotten Ballard ending seems to override the greatness of his career. No Cups but expansion and happy Hal go a long way to explaining that. Keon was a terrific versatile player but he was not a classic #1

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Last #1 Centre to win a Cup - Keon
Most Amazing single game at Centre - Sittler
Most Amazing career start at Centre - Matthews
Most Cups at Centre - Kennedy

How do you choose? Head to head all of them during their prime, dare I say, I think Matthews may be the best.

Salming /Horton - I'm in.

Broda (Bower Back-up)

(Felix in the minors)

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Nylander - Matthews - Marner

Salming - Horton

Bower

I came here to post this exact line up...this may not be accurate at the moment but I feel like in the not too distant future this could be a very legit argument.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I came here to post this exact line up...this may not be accurate at the moment but I feel like in the not too distant future this could be a very legit argument.

well they're probably the best 3 rookies in leaf history, so they're off to a good start.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
90% of players from the 80s and prior couldn't play in the NHL today. These lists are silly. Yeah, Keon and Apps...whatever. They'd ride the pine at best now.

Sure, the speed and skill required from your average NHLer now is way higher but let's not forget that we're talking about players who did what they did with inferior equipment, inferior training practices, inferior facilities, more on ice harassment, etc. No doubt that these elite stars of the past in modern equipment and preparation practices would rise to the top. Some, like those who lived off long shots just inside the blueline wouldn't be notable players (I'm thinking about Vaive, Lafleur, McDonald) unless they adapted their games. Others with pure all around hockey abilities like Mahovlich, Keon, Salming would be just as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->