Starting Six: Philadelphia Flyers All-Time Lineup

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Starting Six series comes to you to dive into the best player at each position all-time for every organization. The biggest and best at each position, with the most memorable moments in franchise history. Here is the Philadelphia Flyers all-time lineup.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/08/10/philadelphia-flyers-all-time-lineup/

Pretty much spot on.

You could make a case for LeClair (better PPG and GPG in his Flyers tenure but in over 250 fewer games) over Barber, but at the end of the day I think you got it right.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
The Starting Six series comes to you to dive into the best player at each position all-time for every organization. The biggest and best at each position, with the most memorable moments in franchise history. Here is the Philadelphia Flyers all-time lineup.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/08/10/philadelphia-flyers-all-time-lineup/
...Can't argue will that lineup...In my era,I favored Reggie Leach with the LCB line as the MY alltime right winger.However,Timmy Kerr was lights out on the powerplay for the Flyers in his time there!Too big to move and so skilled to stop with the man advantage.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I remember putting a flyers team together in what if sports, oh a decade ago if not longer. Was something like, centres - Clarke,Lindros,Kerr,eklund. Lw- leclair,propp rw recchi,leach,renberg d- Howe,desjardin,Pronger,Jim Watson,Joe Watson, ed van impe g- parent, hexy

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2 changes.....LeClair over Kerr and Pronger over Desjardin :nod:

LeClair wasn't a RW and this is picking the best at each position.

So if you wanted to vote for LeClair it would have to be over Barber, which would be tough to justify.

Pronger over Desjardins is just absurd.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
2 changes.....LeClair over Kerr and Pronger over Desjardin :nod:

To me Kerr and LeClair were pretty comparable over the courses of their careers here... I suppose the RW argument would and probably should come into play on this though.

With Pronger replacing Rico though I do have a real issue... While Pronger was certainly a true HHoFer, not enough of his career was in O&B... The arguments that would be argued for him over his short time here could also be argued for Rico.

Pronger came here in a major trade and lifted up the D while leading them to a SCF appearance... Rico was brought here also in a major trade and was the anchor that the Flyers needed, one that allowed them to reach the SCF.

Pronger was a leader and served a Captain... Rico was a quiet leader and stepped up to captain the Team in a difficult time, albeit not one who welcomed the position like Pronger, but one who was needed and a force in the Leadership Core for many Seasons.

Pronger's injury was quick and devastating to the Team, leaving it in a rough position when he could not play... Rico's injuries came on later in his tenure here and while he played through them as much as possible, his later career limitations hurt the Team, and in '04 when he could not play it was arguably the difference between a SemiFinal 7th Game ouster and winning the Cup... Rico's retirement left the Team also in a rough position.

Pronger played with the Flyers for parts of three Seasons -- only one real full Season -- Rico played for the Flyers parts of 11 Seasons and was an All-Star numerous times and a top ten Norris finalist five times (2 in top 5... 2 additional in top 16).

Pronger left a mark in Flyers History in his all too brief time... Rico left a greater mark over a much longer period.

IMO it would be a crime to not give Rico his due as the second best D-man in Flyers' History... But I did love Pronger and respect his time as a Flyers... and hate that it was cut short.

JMO

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
To me Kerr and LeClair were pretty comparable over the courses of their careers here... I suppose the RW argument would and probably should come into play on this though./QUOTE]
Kerr probably was the best RW in Flyer history. LeClair is comparable and so is Reggie Leach. The organization has had some excellent RWs in its history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad