Starting January to Mar16 the Leafs are 17-14-2

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Even if talent alone gets us past the first round, which I don't think it will, I don't think it's a sustainable long-term method for success.

Reactions: Legendary

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They had a great start in Oct and Nov, but regressed to where most expected them to be this time of the year. I was not surprised they were in a battle for a playoff spot when they beat Montreal in mid Feb.

I expected more myself, for sure I thought we'd be better than we were last season.

If they don’t gain home ice and get eliminated in round one I expect some will unfairly use the “choke narrative” , once again, to describe another Leafs performance.

Probably. I hate that word myself and most times there's no reason for it.

Oh FFS it was a bad week and we've still won more games than Boston has. Chill.

1)
Bad week? Bad doesn't begin to cover it my good man.

2)
Why zero in on wins (many of which came in gimmicky 3 on 3) while ignoring losses? I would assert that a more accurate perspective is gathered by looking at at wins - losses (or just look at the overall standings like most people do) and guess what, Boston is ahead of us either way.

3)
Does "Chill" mean that I'm not supposed to see things the way they are?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just imagine if we were beating Ottawa & Chicago in that time.

Sigh, if only.

We had a bad January and a bad week in march

Besides that, this team has been phenomenal in terms of record

What is it with the word "phenomenal" today? Any team would look better if you threw out the worst parts of the season but when has it ever worked that way? Bottom line is were on pace to finish with just a couple of points less than last season. Whether that's good, bad or somewhere in between is up to everyone to decide for themselves, phenomenal is definitely pushing it though IMHO.

Talent and luck is the only way!

Talent and luck, works for me. :)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Which line best represents the Leafs season so far?

if the Leafs were a stock I'd be getting out with them trending downwards, got bit pretty badly hanging on to some Nortel stock waiting for a rebound that never happened. :sarcasm:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think Pasta's back, so they'll no doubt be better going forward..........

Yeah they have a few other guys out as well, Carlo probably being the most important one. Currently they seem to be on track to be healthy by the time the playoffs start, not good news for Leaf fans.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
1)
Bad week? Bad doesn't begin to cover it my good man.

2)
Why zero in on wins (many of which came in gimmicky 3 on 3) while ignoring losses? I would assert that a more accurate perspective is gathered by looking at at wins - losses (or just look at the overall standings like most people do) and guess what, Boston is ahead of us either way.

3)
Does "Chill" mean that I'm not supposed to see things the way they are?

I'm not zeroing in on wins, I was just trying to give you some big picture perspective, to pull you away from zeroing in on a bad week to represent the season for this team.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
The breakdown,
January 4-6
February 9-5-1
March 4-3-1

So in 2019 Toronto went 17-14-2 (I did count this by hand so I'm pretty sure it's right)
The big picture is Toronto has been struggling all year, you can say February wasn't bad except a lot of those wins were against really weak teams (Anaheim, Colorado, Buffalo, Edmonton, Montreal x2 and .. Ottawa).
Toronto has been coasting on their strong start all season and I think it is very concerning

All year, you're referring to 3 months? 9 and 5 ain't bad. They haven't lost 3 in a row except 1x. Lately the losses are more concerning because the D has been real bad, and Freddy lost his groove. There were many games in 2018 we shouldn't of won, it catches up to you..hockey or any sport has an odd way of working things out.

My take is missing 2 top 4 D, that's problem 1, and the biggest one. Freddy is allowed to have a few bad games after the yr hes put up. People freaking on Sparks need to look at the 2 games he came in cold. He kept us in it, and we almost came back (except vs Tampa). One goal the other night was his fault (way out of his net to stop a shot going wide..Duclair goal) other than that he saved our bacon in the first, and the others were all defensive issues. I like that he said play angry, get some emotion. I've noticed during this stretch they seem to not be smiling, even before they are down. When they are down they arent getting upset. The only guy that did was Rielly before his goal vs Ottawa. Gotta hear up for the playoffs, get on a roll, play with emotion, and clean up the D zone. They should pretend they are killing a penalty, because they've done real well with that. Which leads me to the point, it's their breakouts. Not clean, too many times they have a chance to clear and dont.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not zeroing in on wins, I was just trying to give you some big picture perspective, to pull you away from zeroing in on a bad week to represent the season for this team.

Except I never said that the one bad week represents the entire season, come on now, you're better than that. I've also said a number of times that if you want a good representation of the season, look at the overall standings, that's it. Not number of wins, or losses, or OT wins or losses or number of goals scored or anything else.

Boston has 9 OT wins including 2 SOs

Where are you getting this from? I peek at the standings and see 9 OT losses, have they really been to OT 18 times this season?

Edit - never mind, I found it somewhere and it appears you're right. Even 20 OT games if I'm not mistaken. That's pretty amazing, still doesn't change anything for me. There ahead of us in the standings despite having more injuries than us during the season and as far as I can tell, they deserve to be where they are. Not sure why this seems to upset some people, it is what it is and we're not far behind them either. If we had had a better week last week we'd be tied with them.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
stupid facts.

Facts are never stupid, sometimes they're irrelevant though. I usually just look at the standings but since it was mentioned, I did some digging and it seems to me like Boston has been to OT 20 times this season and their record there is 11-9. I'm not sure what the significance of this is but I strongly suspect it's nothing. The sample size is super small and there's no 3 on 3 OT in playoffs anyway so who gives a flying f..k anyway?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
BOS: 32-20 REG, 11-9 OT/SO
TOR: 37-24 REG, 6-5 OT/SO

Is there some place that provides those numbers so I could see them without having to go through their record game by game? If you could give me a link, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Also, either these numbers are wrong, or nhl.com is wrong or I'm missing something as this:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?repor...e=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,wins

shows Boston with a ROW (Reg + OT wins) of 41 but your numbers add up to 43.

Toronto they show at 43 which matches your numbers.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Except I never said that the one bad week represents the entire season, come on now, you're better than that. I've also said a number of times that if you want a good representation of the season, look at the overall standings, that's it. Not number of wins, or losses, or OT wins or losses or number of goals scored or anything else.

Ok, well we're 5th in the league. Four points/a bad week out of second place.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ok, well we're 5th in the league. Four points/a bad week out of second place.

Yeah, it's not too bad, I really thought we'd be better than last year though, that's all. That bad week was hard to take but hey, give me two good weeks in April and I promise I'll forget all about it. :)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Is there some place that provides those numbers so I could see them without having to go through their record game by game? If you could give me a link, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Also, either these numbers are wrong, or nhl.com is wrong or I'm missing something as this:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?repor...e=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,wins

shows Boston with a ROW (Reg + OT wins) of 41 but your numbers add up to 43.

Toronto they show at 43 which matches your numbers.

2 of the 11 wins in the 11-9 figure that zeke shows are shootout wins.

32 regulation wins + 9 OT wins is 41 ROW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad