Starting January to Mar16 the Leafs are 17-14-2

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
By win loss record
Overall 43-29 .597%
Oct-Nov 18-8 .692%
Dec-Mar 25-21. .543%

Had we played at a .543% pace all season, we'd currently be 17th overall. Yeah that's a pretty long stretch of mediocrity with one of the most talented rosters in the NHL and our performance last week was absolutely pathetic. I'm reasonably confident that we'll play better this week, it only remains to be seen if that means we're taking advantage of our last chance for an upswing before the playoffs start or if it's the proverbial dead cat bounce.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Had we played at a .543% pace all season, we'd currently be 17th overall. Yeah that's a pretty long stretch of mediocrity with one of the most talented rosters in the NHL

Last 24: .646
Last 12: .625

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Last 24: .646
Last 12: .625

It's cool that you're always trying to look at things on the bright side. I might be a bit more impressed by our 7-5 record over the last 12 games had 9 of them not been non-playoff teams as it stands today. I also suspect you might not be as upbeat had you seen the egg we laid in our last game which capped off an absolutely horrendous week, maybe not though, who knows. A .625% against weak competition doesn't inspire confidence when our 1st round opponent sits at .660% and they're an experienced bunch who you just know will be ready to play when the playoffs start. Anyhow, to me it's not just about the numbers, whether they're tracking wins, losses, goal differential, corsi or whatever else. Don't get me wrong, I've never been one to ignore the numbers but watching the games tells me something as well and my feeling is that all things considered, we're on a downward trend.

I'm not saying we're a bad team, far from it. But it does look like we're going to be substantial underdogs against Boston and fully deserving of that status which is disappointing to me personally, as at the beginning of the season I thought we were strong favourites to finish ahead of those SOB's. IIRC you postied about a month ago or so that we shouldn't feel bad about losing in the playoffs the last couple of years because we were underdogs and this season, we were going to be favoured in the playoffs. It doesn't look like that's going to happen, I can't imagine you're very happy about that either.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Had we played at a .543% pace all season, we'd currently be 17th overall. Yeah that's a pretty long stretch of mediocrity with one of the most talented rosters in the NHL and our performance last week was absolutely pathetic. I'm reasonably confident that we'll play better this week, it only remains to be seen if that means we're taking advantage of our last chance for an upswing before the playoffs start or if it's the proverbial dead cat bounce.

I suspect they’ll go either 6-4 or 5-5. 49 wins is phenomenal in my opinion.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's cool that you're always trying to look at things on the bright side.

It's not about brightside.

A number of people are dishonestly segmenting the season to make it look as bad as possible - and we know this, because if we look at anything lonerg or shorter than their specific sample, their narrative disappears.

There are a million ways to slice and dice the leafs record so far, but there's only one very specific slice that makes it look bad.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
We were shit in January and had a bad week last week. In between we were in our early season form. Let's hope we get back to that form in these last 10 games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I suspect they’ll go either 6-4 or 5-5. 49 wins is phenomenal in my opinion.

I wouldn't call it phenomenal myself. We're currently tied for 3rd if you look at wins, that's good but it's also bolstered by OT wins which I don't put much value on as there's no 3on3 in the playoffs. If you look at losses we're tied for 7th, not bad I guess but I was hoping for better. Our exact place in the standings changes frequently, we're basically in a pack of about 8 teams jockeying for 2nd to 9th place overall which is roughly where we were last season. Maybe I had my sights set too high but I really thought after adding Tavares, we would take a big step forward this season.

A number of people are dishonestly segmenting the season to make it look as bad as possible - and we know this, because if we look at anything lonerg or shorter than their specific sample, their narrative disappears.

There are a million ways to slice and dice the leafs record so far, but there's only one very specific slice that makes it look bad.

We're not bad, agree with you there for sure. Well, we were worse than bad last week but whatever, hopefully we can start putting that behind us tonight, we'll see.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The breakdown,
January 4-6
February 9-5-1
March 4-3-1

So in 2019 Toronto went 17-14-2 (I did count this by hand so I'm pretty sure it's right)
The big picture is Toronto has been struggling all year, you can say February wasn't bad except a lot of those wins were against really weak teams (Anaheim, Colorado, Buffalo, Edmonton, Montreal x2 and .. Ottawa).
Toronto has been coasting on their strong start all season and I think it is very concerning
They look like a paper tiger to me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Ya, by the period. More shots against then the Randy Carlyle team. Just watch the team, it's not even a team. It's a mess that has no spine and takes half games of and then relies on talent to pull back.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wouldn't call it phenomenal myself. We're currently tied for 3rd if you look at wins, that's good but it's also bolstered by OT wins which I don't put much value on as there's no 3on3 in the playoffs. If you look at losses we're tied for 7th, not bad I guess but I was hoping for better. Our exact place in the standings changes frequently, we're basically in a pack of about 8 teams jockeying for 2nd to 9th place overall which is roughly where we were last season. Maybe I had my sights set too high but I really thought after adding Tavares, we would take a big step forward this season.

We're not bad, agree with you there for sure. Well, we were worse than bad last week but whatever, hopefully we can start putting that behind us tonight, we'll see.

They had a great start in Oct and Nov, but regressed to where most expected them to be this time of the year. I was not surprised they were in a battle for a playoff spot when they beat Montreal in mid Feb.

If they don’t gain home ice and get eliminated in round one I expect some will unfairly use the “choke narrative” , once again, to describe another Leafs performance.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Examining the Leaf march record after there rash injuries they had including their 3D and 5D on the big club mad 1D and 3D on the Marlies is ludicrous. not to mention they also lost their 3C and 2RW in the same stretch. Losing 4 meaning players at the same would hard for any team and when include injures to their replacements in minors any teams depth would be challenged.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's cool that you're always trying to look at things on the bright side. I might be a bit more impressed by our 7-5 record over the last 12 games had 9 of them not been non-playoff teams as it stands today. I also suspect you might not be as upbeat had you seen the egg we laid in our last game which capped off an absolutely horrendous week, maybe not though, who knows. A .625% against weak competition doesn't inspire confidence when our 1st round opponent sits at .660% and they're an experienced bunch who you just know will be ready to play when the playoffs start. Anyhow, to me it's not just about the numbers, whether they're tracking wins, losses, goal differential, corsi or whatever else. Don't get me wrong, I've never been one to ignore the numbers but watching the games tells me something as well and my feeling is that all things considered, we're on a downward trend.

I'm not saying we're a bad team, far from it. But it does look like we're going to be substantial underdogs against Boston and fully deserving of that status which is disappointing to me personally, as at the beginning of the season I thought we were strong favourites to finish ahead of those SOB's. IIRC you postied about a month ago or so that we shouldn't feel bad about losing in the playoffs the last couple of years because we were underdogs and this season, we were going to be favoured in the playoffs. It doesn't look like that's going to happen, I can't imagine you're very happy about that either.

Oh FFS it was a bad week and we've still won more games than Boston has. Chill.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Why does the greater portion matter if you choke at the end ?

It depends on how you want to view things. What is more indicative of your overall play? Recent form, or full body of work? Yes the timing of the latest dip in play in annoying, however this team is better than this and we all know it.

It's also interesting to point out that our two big dips in form/play comes when we had significant injuries to our defence. (January we were missing both Andersen and Sparks, March we've been missing Dermott and Gardiner)

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
It depends on how you want to view things. What is more indicative of your overall play? Recent form, or full body of work? Yes the timing of the latest dip in play in annoying, however this team is better than this and we all know it.

It's also interesting to point out that our two big dips in form/play comes when we had significant injuries to our defence. (January we were missing both Andersen and Sparks, March we've been missing Dermott and Gardiner)

Every team has injury stretches. It's a weak excuse but I know it will be the first one used in April. Learning how to play team defense at game 73 doesn't inspire confidence.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We had a bad January and a bad week in march

Besides that, this team has been phenomenal in terms of record

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->