Starting goalies with the best and worst rebound control?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Rebound control is a very underrated aspect of hockey, and is actually more important than people think. Who is the best rebound controller in the NHL? I'd say Pekka Rinne. Eye test alone confirms it, but there was an article about the quality of rebounds and the puck frozen percentage of all goalies from 2009-2010 to 2014-2015 and Rinne was the best goalie in both categories in every season except the lockout season (And he was number 2 then so yeah).

Since Pavelec is no longer a starter, I can't really decide who has the worst, but when he was a starter he easily wins worst rebound control.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rebound control is a very underrated aspect of hockey, and is actually more important than people think. Who is the best rebound controller in the NHL? I'd say Pekka Rinne. Eye test alone confirms it, but there was an article about the quality of rebounds and the puck frozen percentage of all goalies from 2009-2010 to 2014-2015 and Rinne was the best goalie in both categories in every season except the lockout season (And he was number 2 then so yeah).

Since Pavelec is no longer a starter, I can't really decide who has the worst, but when he was a starter he easily wins worst rebound control.

Is puck frozen percentage a good gauge of good rebound control? Isn't it better to direct rebounds in a positive way so that you don't have a faceoff in your own zone?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Is puck frozen percentage a good gauge of good rebound control? Isn't it better to direct rebounds in a positive way so that you don't have a faceoff in your own zone?

Both are important, while directing rebounds in a positive way is good, sometimes it can be difficult, and could lead to far more chances against your team, so freezing it would be wiser. Rinne is on the top tier in both, while Pavelec was god awful in both.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Andersen has to be in the top 3 without actually looking at the stats. He absorbs nearly everything like some kind of puck cyborg.

Yeah I can't really recall him getting beat by "bad rebounds," the shots that beat him are either passes across or shots.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Rebound control has consistently been one of Rask’s weakest aspects since his entry into the league.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Bump

Just found this thread, shows the amount of rebounds you'd expect a goalie to give up, versus how much they actually do (And this is overall rebounds, not rebound shots). Elliott is poor in this regard,while Rinne and Jones are excellent.

DY5sUDiW0AAmPGn.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Esko6

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Holtby's rebound control has been one of the more consistent at the top than most goalies. Since he doesn't play a pure butterfly style like the majority of goalies do, his positional play allows him to control his rebounds better. You might ask well why is his GAA been up the last 2 years, and that's because the Caps give up more high danger chances then a lot of other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad