Starting A Franchise: Matthews+Marner VS McDavid

Who Would You Rather Start a Franchise With?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
McDavid is clearly the best player of the bunch, but having two "A" players instead of just one "A+" one would kick-start a rebuild(or a new franchise) WAY faster. Just look at sad Edmonton right now, with McDavid. They have little else and are floundering.

Toronto, on the other hand, has Matthews and Marner and more, and are one of the best teams in the league.

Easy choice.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Poll is insanely dumb and needs more info. "Start a franchise with"? What's going to be available to me after I choose between the two options?

Seems like an obvious attempt to try and get Matthews to win a poll against McDavid. Why is it every time I decide to poke my head into this section of the forums there's a poll like this? Hilarious thing is it failed miserably.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Easily Matthews and Marner.
Doesn't take away the fact that McDavid is the best player, but this one is just silly.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
McDavid, without thinking twice.
Marner would be nice, in terms of me having a player I can anchor a line off of. But the difference between Matthews and McDavid is massive.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If McDavid is at current 12.5 and Matthews and Marner are at what they are projected to be at 11.5 and 8 respectively, then is McDavid AINEC.

My starting franchise will easily be able to find or draft a cheaper player in which the duo will be better

This comment is ironic if only because in three seasons and now entering a fourth Edmonton has been completely unable to easily find or draft a cheaper player to go with McDavid. The guy is currently penciled in the have Ty Rattie on his wing

Finding a second star player is clearly not as simple as you make it out to be

Reactions: The S5

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
McDavid is not that much better to justify taking him over two talented players but...

You won't get both Matthews and Marner for the price of McDavid's contract. If in some bizarro world you could get both Matthews and Marner signed for a combined value equal to that of McDavid's contract -- then yes Matthew + Marner would be the correct answer -- but it's not.

They're not playing in a "vacuum" i.e. McDavid is not playing by himself, nor will Matthews and Marner be playing without another player on the opposite wing. Matthews + Marner is one less player to sign/acquire, but you'll have less money to do it with.

So the only real answer is (for this poll)... McDavid.

Personally I would still build around Crosby over McDavid at this point (lower salary + proven winner) -- but that's just me.

/thread

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
McDavid is clearly the best player of the bunch, but having two "A" players instead of just one "A+" one would kick-start a rebuild(or a new franchise) WAY faster. Just look at sad Edmonton right now, with McDavid. They have little else and are floundering.

Toronto, on the other hand, has Matthews and Marner and more, and are one of the best teams in the league.

Easy choice.
You make it sound like the gap isn't huge between McDavid & those two players.

McDavid is a 2X Art Ross trophy winner at age 21. Matthews & Marner have yet to hit 70 points in their career...

Reactions: Future GOAT

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Clearly Leafs homer's are basically the only ones who believe that, go figure.

LMAO. Gimme a break, take off your homer goggles and go take a poo and release all that crap you got building up. Matthews is a top-10 player in the NHL, and Marner is right behind him.

McDavid is #1 but TWO guys that are ranked as high as Matthews & Marner are, are simply worth more to start a franchise off, or rebuild one. McDavid is NOT worth more than the two combined. Not by a long shot.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Starting a franchise and its not even close it would be McDavid because of his off ice profile to go along with his on ice skill. His value would be off the charts for a brand new franchise.

Starting a team and ignoring the business side of things it is a whole lot closer and has a different answer especially if I can play Marner and Matthews on 2 different lines.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
LOL. Uh...Its not that huge a gap.
What do you base that on? "coulda-shoulda-woulda" metrics? McDavid is a lot better than the rest of his age group until someone proves they are close competitors to him (which no one has been close to yet).

To answer the question: McDavid. I would still be able to draft in the future, but I would have a chance to have the best player in the NHL his entire career. It might become Matthews+Marner one day, but McDavid is as solid of a bet as you can make

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
LMAO. Gimme a break, take off your homer goggles and go take a poo and release all that crap you got building up. Matthews is a top-10 player in the NHL, and Marner is right behind him.

McDavid is #1 but TWO guys that are ranked as high as Matthews & Marner are, are simply worth more to start a franchise off, or rebuild one. McDavid is NOT worth more than the two combined. Not by a long shot.
Are you being serious right now? :laugh:

You honestly believe Matthews is a top 10 player in the league, and Marner is just outside the top 10?

You can't criticize a post then come back with this garbage.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
McDavid obviously. You can find wingers anywhere, Marner is nothing all that special. He definitely doesn't make up for the huge disparity between Matthews and McDavid. Matthew+Tavares vs McDavid would've been a much closer poll.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Are you being serious right now? :laugh:

You honestly believe Matthews is a top 10 player in the league, and Marner is just outside the top 10?

You can't criticize a post then come back with this garbage.

Matthews IS a top-10 player in the league. :)

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-top-50-player-ranking-1.1180399

The NHL agrees too, as he's not in their "40-31", "30-21" or "20-11" list, meaning he's going to be in their top-10 list.

#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 40-31

#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 30-21

#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 20-11

And I never said that Marner was "just outside the top-10" at all. I said he's close behind.......I put him somewhere in the 30-40th range.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Your TSN basically said, from their experts' views, there's a sizeable gap between McDavid and Crosby and an even bigger one between Crosby and below so....

So? That's doesn't mean he worth TWO of the league's better/best players. LOL.

You Edmonton fans need to calm down a little. I know that McDavid is all you've got, but seriously.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
What do you base that on? "coulda-shoulda-woulda" metrics? McDavid is a lot better than the rest of his age group until someone proves they are close competitors to him (which no one has been close to yet).

To answer the question: McDavid. I would still be able to draft in the future, but I would have a chance to have the best player in the NHL his entire career. It might become Matthews+Marner one day, but McDavid is as solid of a bet as you can make

McDavid is the best in the league.

But I prefer TWO great players to just one. Better way to start a franchise, I say.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So? That's doesn't mean he worth TWO of the league's better/best players. LOL.

You Edmonton fans need to calm down a little. I know that McDavid is all you've got, but seriously.

Lol.
Maybe you need to calm down and not get so worked up because the poll backfired.

It's hilarious the OP creates a poll using 1 player vs 2 and it backfires and then it comes down to pot shots.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Easy choice.
If a 41 goal/108 player is an A+, a 45 goal/82 point player (I prorated Matthews stats and gave him credit for goals and points he didn't actually put up last season) is not an A player...and a 22 goal/69 point player DEFINITELY isn't an A player.

If McDavid is an A+, Matthews is a B+ and Marner is a B-. And I know Matthews is still developing and will close the gap on the player McDavid is today, but McDavid is only 9 months older and still developing too so he's likely going to move the goal posts on what it means to be an A+ player...which would most likely keep Matthews at a B+. Maaaybe an A-. Either way, you take McDavid and go from there.

I can understand being blinded by Matthews talent but actually suggesting Marner is only a tier below McDavid is hilarious. If you think Marner is good, you should stay up late enough to catch an Oilers game and see what a real superstar looks like. More than just 40 points separates McDavid from Marner.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Matthews IS a top-10 player in the league. :)

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-top-50-player-ranking-1.1180399

The NHL agrees too, as he's not in their "40-31", "30-21" or "20-11" list, meaning he's going to be in their top-10 list.

#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 40-31

#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 30-21

#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 20-11

And I never said that Marner was "just outside the top-10" at all. I said he's close behind.......I put him somewhere in the 30-40th range.

Matthews is a top 10 center. Not player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad