Starting A Franchise: Matthews+Marner VS McDavid

Who Would You Rather Start a Franchise With?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
McDavid scores more assists than Matthews does points. That is a significant difference.

Sure if you want to ignore games played. Can we flip that and say Matthews had almost as many goals as McDavid did points in their rookie seasons. Before you label me anything, McDavid is a much better scorer than Matthews and he has already reached a level that AM most likely will not but I could see Matthews closing the gap over their careers.

Matthews could flirt with 50 goals a season on the regular and be a 85 point player in the near future, Marner could be a 75 - 80 point winger very soon. I will absolutely take that over only McDavid even if he does win the Art Ross every year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
can you explain the point of those arguments? I've never understood how P/60 can actually help make someone's case when ice time is highly variable

it's because ice time is so variable that p60 is crucial.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I'm a Flames fan so I get to see McDavid rip my team apart about 6 times a year. The gap between Matthews and McDavid is huge. Like, insanely f***ing huge. Not enough for someone like Marner to surmount. Some Leafs fans don't get it, some don't want to get it, but it's the truth.

Perhaps the only comparable between the two is goalscoring, which is a coin flip for me, because McDavid can create so many chances on his own he'll probably score 40-50 a year if he wants to (if he's healthy). His shot is getting better. His speed is obviously generational, probably once in a lifetime type stuff. His playmaking, hands and IQ are good enough that they can keep up with his speed, so that puts him above Matthews based on that alone (he had more assists last season than Matthews has had his entire career, lol). He's defensively responsible, it's not his fault that he plays for that tire fire of an organization and they can't surround him with proper talent.

I'll take McDavid over Matthews and Marner every single day, 365 days of the year. You put competent management in control of McDavid, and any team he is on is an instant contender overnight. Matthews and Marner are great, elite even (although I'm not totally sold on Marner yet), but like the fact that 26% of this poll is voting for them just screams homerism. If McDavid wore the blue Maple Leaf, he'd be better than Gretzky already to everyone.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Sure if you want to ignore games played. Can we flip that and say Matthews had almost as many goals as McDavid did points in their rookie seasons. Before you label me anything, McDavid is a much better scorer than Matthews and he has already reached a level that AM most likely will not but I could see Matthews closing the gap over their careers.

Matthews could flirt with 50 goals a season on the regular and be a 85 point player in the near future, Marner could be a 75 - 80 point winger very soon. I will absolutely take that over only McDavid even if he does win the Art Ross every year.

But they're neither of those
So it's just a hypothetical
Why even bother using marner'a and Matthews' names? If were going by hypothetical numbers

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Not really.

If this thread was the way reality worked, we can extrapolate it further:

McDavid>Matthews+Marner
Drai>Nylander
RNH=Kadri
Nurse, Klefbom, Sekejra, Larsson>Rielly, Zai, Hainsey, Gardiner
Talbot<Anderson
Maroon<JVR

The idea that McDavid is better to build around than Matthews and Marner was tested last year with the two similar cores competing, we saw the results, despite Edmonton's core potentially being even slightly better.

If I'm right and McDavid is just a better player than Matthews (not making him look like a chump as you put it), then Marner puts that duo over the top considering that Matthews is the better goal scorer and has similar enough p/60 numbers that getting a 70 point 2nd year winger that got demoted for nearly 25% of the year to the 4th line.

But don't let me bring up other facts than points, excuse me bringing up TOI, PP TOI, goals and taking the conclusion of this thread and running with it.

You started the thread and are throwing a hissy fit.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm a Flames fan so I get to see McDavid rip my team apart about 6 times a year. The gap between Matthews and McDavid is huge. Like, insanely ****ing huge. Not enough for someone like Marner to surmount. Some Leafs fans don't get it, some don't want to get it, but it's the truth.

Perhaps the only comparable between the two is goalscoring, which is a coin flip for me, because McDavid can create so many chances on his own he'll probably score 40-50 a year if he wants to (if he's healthy). His shot is getting better. His speed is obviously generational, probably once in a lifetime type stuff. His playmaking, hands and IQ are good enough that they can keep up with his speed, so that puts him above Matthews based on that alone (he had more assists last season than Matthews has had his entire career, lol). He's defensively responsible, it's not his fault that he plays for that tire fire of an organization and they can't surround him with proper talent.

I'll take McDavid over Matthews and Marner every single day, 365 days of the year. You put competent management in control of McDavid, and any team he is on is an instant contender overnight. Matthews and Marner are great, elite even (although I'm not totally sold on Marner yet), but like the fact that 26% of this poll is voting for them just screams homerism. If McDavid wore the blue Maple Leaf, he'd be better than Gretzky already to everyone.
Wonderful post. Excellent job summing it up succinctly.

Feels like the crux of the issue is Eastern fans, and especially a lot of Toronto fans, really don't seem to watch McDavid (or much of any Western team) outside of the highlights on SC.

Reactions: varank

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
If McDavid is at current 12.5 and Matthews and Marner are at what they are projected to be at 11.5 and 8 respectively, then is McDavid AINEC.

My starting franchise will easily be able to find or draft a cheaper player in which the duo will be better

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Basically it's only Leafs fans that would take Matthews & Marner, that should tell you something right there.

A lot of you guys are consistent, I'll give you that. :laugh:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Pot meet kettle.
Find me a poll or a statement I've made that is against the heavy majority.

Just because people criticize some Leafs fans due to how they act doesn't mean you're the victim.

Last edited:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
McDavid without much hesitation.

Matthews and Marner are excellent players. McDavid is a once-in-a-decade-type player and he's only going to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad