Start resting and rotating players (yay or nay)

Rest players?

• Total voters

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Got to say no. Light schedule to finish, sorry season, time off before playoffs start.
Cut ice time on the stars rotate some depth guys but keep the focus and intensity up or better build it higher

Reactions: Ciao and Lumberg

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think the Leafs will probably target Wednesday in Ottawa and Friday in Winnipeg as potential "rest games".

At that point Vancouver & Calgary will likely be eliminated, we'd have most likely clinched the division, and we'll have clarity as to when the playoffs begin for the north.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
They've been talking about the potential of the North playoffs starting while Vancouver finishes out their games. It's really too early to tell.
I guess that works because they play the Flames twice, but talk about weird optics.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd probably prefer scaling back on the ice time of the major players rather than resting them outright. I suppose that I am somewhat relieved that clinching the division hasn't happened too early. I intend that in the sense of it giving the games an increased level of meaning until that time arrives.

Reactions: Ciao

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They've been talking about the potential of the North playoffs starting while Vancouver finishes out their games. It's really too early to tell.

Makes too much sense if the playoff positions are already clinched.

They should still play those games to determine draft seeding but there's no reason to delay the playoffs for games that have no impact on the playoffs.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Leafs last game is May 14
Last NHL game is May 19

Only rest players after we clinch the North & are mathematically eliminated from the President's Trophy.

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
Normally I'd vote for "rest" but with the gap in the schedule I think it's more important that the regulars play to stay sharp. The main thing I want to see is a continued rotation of the marginal players so that when the inevitable injuries hit during the playoffs the replacements have all seen recent action.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Selfishly I'd like to pass TB and COL in the standings which we'd have a good chance at if we won all 3 games.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Our remaining schedule and the break before playoffs are enough of a break for most of our guys. I think that Marner, Matthews, Nylander and a few other of our young stars would freak if they were told that they were getting a rest day. Muzzin and Holl are the only two that I would consider resting otherwise. Those two have been looking a little weary out there lately.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
With the playoffs delayed, I don't think it's as big of a deal. They do still need one point to clinch first (or EDM doesn't win out obviously).

If there's anyone legitimately banged up, I would rest them.

Reactions: Confucius

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I would be for giving players like Marner and Matthews rest one game together. Then Tavares and Nylander another game. Then I would rest Brodie and Reilly one game together. And then Muzzin and Holl for another.

Rest Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds for games as well. Give Rittich and Andersen starts instead of Campbell.

This of course should all happen in the last 2 games against Ottawa and Winnipeg. Full lineup against Montreal Saturday.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I’m saying yes with a caveat that common sense must be used...guys like AM and MM probably don’t need more than a day or two between games in order to rest up...Jumbo and Vintage should probably get a few games if they are willing to come out of the lineup (it’s so dependent on players being honest about their health though that I really don’t know as all of these guys are competitors and don’t want to admit if they are just plain tired)

Reactions: Confucius

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
No with a caveat. Like most posters are saying minimizing ice time is the preferred route. I would look at Thornton and Spezza maybe having a couple games off though.

Interesting that 79% in the poll are saying to rest players but about 90% of the posts are saying not to.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It is not only just about resting players but also avoiding potential injuries. What's the point of running our studs when we don't really need to at the moment.

You just need one knee on knee, one stupid slash/crosscheck/boarding etc.... and then what? wait for them to get better and hope they are ready to go 100% for the 1st game of the playoffs? Really?

Don't look too far away from Hyman injury or the weirdness of the fluke of Foligno injury

Why risk it is the question?

And on top of that you can give minutes to the folks like Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren, etc... just in case they are needed in the playoffs they will be used to the NHL pace. The more these guys play the more they will learn and be ready.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
If they clinch tonight, and it looks likely, I'd rest guys even with the hiatus, it's not like they can't practice.

I'd give Holl both games, Muzzin, Mo and Brodie a game each and minute manage them, bring in Hutton and Liljegren.

Jack Ottawa and Dave Winnipeg.

I'm giving Mitch, Auston and JT a game each, they can like it. Mitch and Auston are back on Babcock minutes starting tonight.

Joe has a 7 game point streak going and despite a hard mid season lull has looked good for the last 12ish games, I think he can make it with a long hiatus.

Spezza, Simmonds, Willy, Galchenyuk, Dermott, Engvall and Mikheyev are fresh.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I vote no rest. They're getting hot at the right time and I don't see any reason why they should take wind out their own sails and get overly complicated with their preparation. You want to make sure there are no injuries as much as you but they can occur in Game 56, Game 1 or Game 7. I don't see any reason we need to throw cold water on the machine when you want it to get hot.

Reactions: Maple Leaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad