GDT: Start of the Death March | Jackets@Penguins | 7:00 PM | NBCSports

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
#77 played well last night and was dangerous most of the time. #70 was good last night, and #72 stole the game on Tuesday.

Solution. Only players in the 70's get to play.

It has about as much of a chance as anything else that's happening now.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I really just... can't even... it's just...

GraciousHonestAzurewingedmagpie-small.gif

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I still have no doubt this team is going to make the playoffs with points to spare, but right now it's a chore to watch. No chemistry in the offensive zone, what I don't understand is what happened to the top line since the deadline, they seem to be all sorts of out of sync.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I still have no doubt this team is going to make the playoffs with points to spare, but right now it's a chore to watch. No chemistry in the offensive zone, what I don't understand is what happened to the top line since the deadline, they seem to be all sorts of out of sync.

"I like your confidence."

Reactions: EspenK

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

not even a little doubt?

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
At this point, who gives an F if we sneak in and make the playoffs? If we do, it's going to be in the WC2 spot and a certain 4-game sweep against Tampa.

The only possibility of securing the WC1 spot would be a complete implosion by Montreal AND Carolina. Ain't happening....

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You could be right about the quitting. I still think it's a talent thing (cue a few folks telling me how talented we are and we're be a fringe playoff team next year with the "core"):
-The goalies have been playing well last two losses.
-The forwards are bad. Just create no offense. At very end of game they played with a little urgency and got some chances (power play, pulled goalie), but other than that just bad. Duchene didn't have a SOG until late (past mid-way) in 3rd.
-This team is suppose to have a top level blue line. Doesn't look like it. I love Seth Jones but he looks out of it lately. Don't know what is going on with those guys.

They need to get going and fast. Unless someone slips up at best we may be looking at 2nd wild card and Tampa Bay. Not what we need.

Add up the goals scored this year by the roster, it's 2nd or 3rd most in the league. 6 20 goal scorers, how many do you need exactly?

What we are witnessing is a massive underperformance.

I don't dispute that they don't look talented at all right now. Even Panarin looks bad.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Add up the goals scored this year by the roster, it's 2nd or 3rd most in the league. 6 20 goal scorers, how many do you need exactly?

I don't dispute that they don't look talented at all right now. Even Panarin looks bad.

They've only played good against bad teams. Outside of the San Jose game this team rolls over in every big game.

I went back and looked to see how many goals we have scored against each opponent. We have average over 3.5 goals/game against 11 opponents this year. 4 of them are playoff teams (Calgary, Nashville, Sharks and Blues). Other 7 are outside looking in (Buffalo, Avs, Wings, Florida, Rangers, Sanators and Flyers).
We just don't score enough goals against good teams.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They've only played good against bad teams. Outside of the San Jose game this team rolls over in every big game.

I went back and looked to see how many goals we have scored against each opponent. We have average over 3.5 goals/game against 11 opponents this year. 4 of them are playoff teams (Calgary, Nashville, Sharks and Blues). Other 7 are outside looking in (Buffalo, Avs, Wings, Florida, Rangers, Sanators and Flyers).
We just don't score enough goals against good teams.

And is that sort of ratio unusual (4/11 against top half teams, 7/11 against bottom half)? Of course, top half teams give up fewer goals. I don't know the answer, I just have my doubts that the Jackets are anything special in that regard.

Reactions: Viqsi

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I hope they have some miracle turnaround but I don't ever remember seeing a team look so mentally shaken as the Jackets are right now. It seems like something that will take time to overcome however there is no time available before their season is over.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
And Foligno liked the chances and the way they played....

It’s like the fog on the ice is following them into the room.
To be fair, I remember 3 or 4 good chances where it looked like a goal should be the result, but we just couldn't get a bounce/stick on it/etc.

I didn't even watch this game and I'm speechless. I remember back to my excitement of meeting some guy in a parking lot to exchange tickets I bought from him on eBay to attend the first real regular season game as a fresh faced kid who had just graduated college and excited my city finally had an NHL team. I've sat through a lot of losing over the years and have kept hope that one day we would be one of the better teams.

I just can't believe what I'm seeing here. The team is just not right. This has to be the lowest of the low and I almost wore a paper bag to a game once at the end of the Scott Arniel/Howson era. Many people on this team seem to have quit. It's been just bad hockey and I unfortunately don't see a way out of it.

And thats whats scary... besides all the draft picks we gave up before getting into this spot.

I admire your confidence :thumbu:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

I
don't dispute that they don't look talented at all right now. Even Panarin looks bad.
Exactly and starting behind the bench along with too many players not handling the moment or IMO in Panarin case not caring about the moment.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

You can only underperform for so long.

This has been consistent since the turn of the new year.

14-14-0 record since January 1st. That's a 28 game sample of mediocre. In fact, the only months the CBJ has a good record was November-December. That’s two months out of the 6 months.

At one point is the TEAM just not as talented as people believe? Yes, it has individual talents who can score goals and make plays, but it doesn't mesh, so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I agree with CBJW10's take. Until the TDL the Jackets had a very good top line. The Foligno-Jenner-Line was playing well. The other two lines were terrible. The D is up & down. The additions at the TDL have not had a positive impact. The team as a whole is in a major funk. Torts appears to be out of answers and if he hassn't lost the room it seems to me the room has lost him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At one point is the TEAM just not as talented as people believe? Yes, it has individual talents who can score goals and make plays, but it doesn't mesh, so it doesn't matter.

This is a confusing mess so I'm going to start with some basic definitions.

A collection of individual talents is a talented team. Adding up goals scored is a proxy for this.

A talented team is not necessarily a good team.

There are plenty of reasons why a talented team might not be a good team.

1. Lack of chemistry.

2. Lack of effort.

3. Lack of confidence.

4. Poor coaching.

etc...

You can't prove that a team isn't talented just using the fact that it isn't good. You need something more than that.

And a few months of not being a good team doesn't make stronger proof that a team isn't a talented team. The 2003-2004 Colorado Avalanche had a year with Sakic, Forsberg, Selanne, Kariya, Blake, Hejduk, and Tanguay. They didn't click. It was one of the most talented teams the league has ever seen, but it wasn't that good of a team. They were always less than the sum of their parts.

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This is a confusing mess so I'm going to start with some basic definitions.

A collection of individual talents is a talented team. Adding up goals scored is a proxy for this.

A talented team is not necessarily a good team.

There are plenty of reasons why a talented team might not be a good team.

1. Lack of chemistry.

2. Lack of effort.

3. Lack of confidence.

4. Poor coaching.

etc...

You can't prove that a team isn't talented just using the fact that it isn't good. You need something more than that.

And a few months of not being a good team doesn't make stronger proof that a team isn't a talented team. The 2003-2004 Colorado Avalanche had a year with Sakic, Forsberg, Selanne, Kariya, Blake, Hejduk, and Tanguay. They didn't click. It was one of the most talented teams the league has ever seen, but it wasn't that good of a team. They were always less than the sum of their parts.

You and I are more or less saying the same thing. The talent on the team individually is undeniable, but it doesn’t mesh. Talent itself has won us games, but not enough. We’re a team of talent but little team work or trust. And thus, not very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad