Start of the Avs/Wings rivalry: Game Six, or Game Three?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Hi all - I just sent an "ask the analyst" e-mail about this as well, but wanted more fan thoughts.

Up to and including Mike Haynes on the presentation screen last night, everyone officially involved with the Avs seems to credit Game Six of the 1996 WC Conference Finals as the start of the Avs/Wings rivalry.

Yes, that was a big moment *in* the rivalry - I agree.

However, my belief - and many that I've talked to personally about this agree - that the *start* of the rivalry, and where it really got heated - was three games earlier, in Game Three, when Slava Kozlov boarded Adam Foote.

Rick Sadowski seems to get it:
https://www.nhl.com/news/looking-back-at-the-bloody-avalanche-wings-rivalry/c-518769

Sadowski said:
May 23, 1996: Game 3, Western Conference Finals, McNichols Sports Arena, Denver -- Red Wings forward Slava Kozlov slams Avalanche defenseman Adam Foote face-first into the glass in the first period, opening a large gash on Foote's forehead. He bleeds profusely and needs 20 stitches to close the cut, but he returns and scores a goal. None of the on-ice officials see the hit, so no penalty is called. Colorado forward Claude Lemieux is assessed a minor roughing penalty for retaliating with a sucker punch that bloodies Kozlov's mouth. The Red Wings win 6-4, cutting the Avalanche's series lead to 2-1.

After the game, Red Wings coach Scotty Bowman shouts obscenities at Lemieux from the team bus as Lemieux walks through the parking lot with his wife and child.

Sure sounds like the start of a big rivalry, doesn't it?

Anyhow, what can be done to promulgate the truth about this? Is this because Lemieux makes a better villain than Kozlov? I don't buy it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It's game 3, but that doesn't fit the narrative that we were the big bad bullies, and that the Wings were innocent little boy scouts, so it doesn't get attention.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Hi all - I just sent an "ask the analyst" e-mail about this as well, but wanted more fan thoughts.

Up to and including Mike Haynes on the presentation screen last night, everyone officially involved with the Avs seems to credit Game Six of the 1996 WC Conference Finals as the start of the Avs/Wings rivalry.

Yes, that was a big moment *in* the rivalry - I agree.

However, my belief - and many that I've talked to personally about this agree - that the *start* of the rivalry, and where it really got heated - was three games earlier, in Game Three, when Slava Kozlov boarded Adam Foote.

Rick Sadowski seems to get it:
https://www.nhl.com/news/looking-back-at-the-bloody-avalanche-wings-rivalry/c-518769

Sure sounds like the start of a big rivalry, doesn't it?

Anyhow, what can be done to promulgate the truth about this? Is this because Lemieux makes a better villain than Kozlov? I don't buy it.

Kozlov's hit was the start of the rivalry.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Foote is right about game 6 in that when the wings knew their dream season was going be over they started taking liberties on our guys and well they got one back when pepe tried to fix drapers ugly face.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
So how do we change the narrative on this?

It's somewhat aggravating that even the Avs' media are sticking to the game six storyline.

It is aggravating, no doubt abut that. I don't know what we can do, maybe write an article like Agentblack suggested. I have some time on my hands, and I've been contemplating about starting to write about hockey for quite a while now. This could be a good start, and if anyone wants to join in, they are more ten welcome. I'm open to all ideas.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Foote said Saturday it officially kicked off with the Lemieux/Draper hit, but it was coming no matter what because everyone on the Wings team learned quickly in that series that Colorado was the team they would have to beat for the next however many years so they stepped up their physicality. It was bound to keep growing, but the hit cemented it firmly.

The funniest tidbit I gleaned that day, not rivalry related, is that Ray Bourque would always be butt naked in the locker room every game. Including the Alumni Game. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad