Player Discussion Start appreciating Monahan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
While still getting very little respect for his play, Monahan has elevated his play once again to another level and is a major reason why the first line has been so deadly and why Ferland has so many goals this year (seriously, go check out Ferlands goals and a lot of them are first assisted by Mony).

He is on pace for 38 goals, 38 assists, for 76 points. He leads the team (and tied for NHL lead) with 7 GWG. In the previous years Mony has always started slow and cranked it up in the last 25 games and put up points then, he was on a similar pace 20 games ago and has kept that pace up, add to the late season surge he shows and he could break 40-40.

More importantly to me is his defensive player has kept improving and now the stats are reflecting it. +/- may be a stupid stat to some, but it does hold some validity and Mony is +13 right now, on pace to be a +25. His best season was +8 (the Hudler season).

I can't believe Flames fans of all people are the ones who bring up, "he's not a true #1 center, but he's alright with Gaudreau" or "Sam Bennett and Jankowski are better centers", when literally EVERY stat, Monahan is better at, except possession because he plays with a puck hog in Gaudreau (not bashing Gaudreau, it's his game and I love him for it), he recognizes what Johnny's capabilities are and lets him do his thing, it what makes him a good player. His hockey IQ is very underrated.

I just felt that in the midst of all the Ferland love and obvious Gaudreau love, this was needed because Mony never gets the recognition he deserves. If fans of other teams want to shit on the guy because they clearly never watch him play, fine, let them be stupid, but it bugs me when I see fellow Flames fans continually shaft Monahan out of the praise this guy deserves.

My only gripe is that he cut his magnificent hair. :(

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Before someone calls you out; possession has nothing to do with playing with a puck hog. His possession would be higher with an offensive piece like Johnny.

No one with half a brain questions his offensive ability. The guy’s the best pure scorer we’ve had since Iggy. The only reason to ‘bash’ him, and that’s clear as day, is when he’s not scoring and Johnny/Ferly aren’t playing with a puck on a string; his limitations are clearly visible. He doesn’t want the puck, he’s not a dominant force. He’s Johnny’s robin, and there’s nothing wrong with that; as it’s successful.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I suspect he'd get more credit if he wasn't playing with Gaudreau, and instead was the clear cut best player on his line.

And yeah, while he's great offensively, his all round game still has a ways to go before he's in that elite number one centre group.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My ONLY gripe with Sean is that he doesn’t physically engage himself in the game despite having a big and powerful frame. If he made himself a little more of a physical force, he would be an upper elite player.

I love Monahan and he’s the best C we’ve had in 30 years. And I love his hair long or short.

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
My ONLY gripe with Sean is that he doesn’t physically engage himself in the game despite having a big and powerful frame. If he made himself a little more of a physical force, he would be an upper elite player.

I love Monahan and he’s the best C we’ve had in 30 years. And I love his hair long or short.

Do you mean 20? I don't think he's better than the guys the Flames had in the late 80's/early 90's.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I love what Monahan brings to the team, although I don't think he'll ever realize his full potential unless he is forced to take on a greater amount of offensive responsibilty. This would mean playing on a different line from Gaudreau. He's perfectly capable of it too

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Johnny benefits a lot from having Sean around too. Not a one sided relationship. Look how many guys Sean draws away from him

Uhhh, you might have that reverse. Monahan's strength is finding quiet ice, not pulling defence.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
To be fair, it's not like it's a particularly high bar to clear though. It's basically Langkow, Conroy and a pre-breakout Savard.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really good player. Sean has improved his all around game every year since coming into the league. Still wish he would finish his checks more often and be a bit more assertive with the puck, but he's the best goal scorer the Flames have had since Iginla. What a great pick to build around.

I think people undervalue him because they want him to be the franchise center the Flames have been lacking for more than a decade. You could probably name 20 better at the position, maybe even 30, but Monahan strikes me as the type of player to creep up the lists every year. Especially if he keeps scoring, and with Gaudreau setting him up for 3-4 glorious chances every game I see no reason he won't.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Uhhh, you might have that reverse. Monahan's strength is finding quiet ice, not pulling defence.
Nhl dmen know it too. If you look at johnnys goal against Tampa, he had tons of room because a Dman and the returning forward both latched on to Monahan and thought Johnny would pass to him. Then Johnny only had to dangle one guy

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Gaudreau often seems to get space because opposing D knows he can dangle and make them look stupid if they are too aggressive.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sean’s shot creates space. The defence knows they have to cover him or they will get beat.

If different then Johnny who can create space inside of lamp. But he creates space nonetheless.

So does Ferland with his speed and shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad