Stars to host 2018 NHL Draft

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hope they let us season ticket holders have our seats....or better....for it. They probably will, but consider it a 45th game, LOL. No matter, I'm going. Does anyone know how Chicago or other recent hosts have allocated seats, what they charged, etc.?

The All Star game in 2007 was not great (future stars game had more energy) but I think I will enjoy this, as I do watch the first round on TV.

Hoping also that we have to wait to pick 31 to see who the Stars get.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What exactly goes on at the draft. I know the players get picked but what else is a draw to it

I was at the Chicago one this year, and I don't want to sound like I'm telling you not to go, but the answer is "not a lot." If you keep track of who is supposed to be a 1st and where they should go, it can be fun to track risers and fallers but you can do that from your couch. There's no analysis or anything in the arena, and instead of highlights of the players like there are on TV there are team video packages set to top 40 songs. There was a little outdoor fan fest thing in the parking lot but it was like other outdoor concerts except everyone is wearing hockey sweaters. There was definitely a different energy about being in the middle of the hockey universe and all the NHL people you can think of are there.

I had a good time but I also had very low expectations about how it would be. It was lucky we had a high pick and a low pick because the native Chicagoans were kinda bored until they got to draft.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
My season ticket rep called today and I asked her about the draft. Its all controlled by the NHL< including seat allocations, and the Stars actually get very few. So, I am on a waiting list to see what opens up if I still want to go by then.

From memory, seems like season ticket holders weren't even guaranteed a seat to the NHL All Star game for similar reasons. I got to keep my seats, but several fans had to relocate to the upper deck to keep the prime seats for VIP types. Some in the upper deck didn't get there seats.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Keep in mind its like a concert with a big stage so the available seats are in a C shape rather than the full O. Also a big bloc in the lower bowl go to picks and their families. If you really want to go, the secondary market should come through for you. I was able to get pretty good seats about a month in advance.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I remember going to the Neil Diamond concert a few years ago in AAC. They did sell the seats behind the stage, so said, "Well, you guys got screwed" and turned around to sing a few songs that direction.

Not sure Bettman would do that, but they might sell the seats. but to pay anything to watch on a big screen seems a bit foolish.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I remember going to the Neil Diamond concert a few years ago in AAC. They did sell the seats behind the stage, so said, "Well, you guys got screwed" and turned around to sing a few songs that direction.

Not sure Bettman would do that, but they might sell the seats. but to pay anything to watch on a big screen seems a bit foolish.

The NHL draft isn't like a concert that relies on maximizing gate receipts for revenue. I don't recall ever seeing people seated in the sections behind the stage at past drafts.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What exactly goes on at the draft. I know the players get picked but what else is a draw to it

I've been to four drafts (2010/11/15/17) and it's certainly not something I'd recommend for everybody. For most people, it's a lot easier to watch from the comfort of your own couch plus you get the commentary as Mr. Misty mentioned.

And if you only care about who your team is taking and are ambivalent about the other picks, then it's probably as exciting as attending a graduation ceremony.

That said, the great thing about the NHL Draft is that everybody is physically there. Not like the NFL Draft where teams are in their home offices and only a handful of prospects are there.

This year in Chicago, I accidentally stumbled on the private entrance for the NHL clubs which was on the opposite side of the FanFest. The FanFests tend to be forgettable and/or geared more for children.

$

So before the draft, I was within five feet of everybody who'd be on the draft floor. If you have the nerve, you can ask politely for pictures/autographs. Most of the folks were accommodating.

After players have been drafted, they'll probably be roaming around the arena. I got to have a quick chat with Jon Merrill, Adam Larsson, Mackenzie Blackwood, and Jesper Boqvist.

It's harder nowadays, but in 2011 my buddy and I snuck down into the players section for round 1. It's a different dynamic to be sitting there wondering why Brandon Saad is dropping and being able to look ten feet to your right and see Brandon Saad sweating out the picks.

If you're a local, I'd actually recommend watching Round 1 at home and attending Day 2 in person.

I'm always shocked by the amount of people who attend Round 1 and have zero clue who anybody of the prospects are. There are far fewer people on Day 2, so it's a bit easier to approach people for pics/autographs. Plus Day 2 usually starts at 10am local time (although it was 9am this year in Chicago). So hanging out at the draft on Day 2 doesn't stop me from having other plans Saturday night.

Also, I wouldn't recommend sitting through every pick. As much as a draft junky I like to think I am, by the time the fourth round rolls around, I'm not going to know much about the draftees. It's not a bad idea to grab some food and take a lap around the concourse to see who you might run into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad