"Stars & Stripes Showdown" Aug. 26th @ USA Hockey Arena

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Stars & Stripes Showdown Set For Aug. 26 at USA Hockey Arena
By USAHockey.com, 08/02/18, 7:45AM EDT
Top American Hockey Stars To Play in Honor of Late Jim Johannson

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Stars & Stripes Showdown, a benefit hockey game featuring top American-born hockey stars, will take place Sunday, August 26, at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Mich. Opening faceoff is set for 2 p.m. ET.

The game is being played in honor of the late Jim Johannson, with proceeds benefiting both the Jim Johannson Legacy Fund of The USA Hockey Foundation, and the Ellie Johannson College Fund.
Johannson, who passed away unexpectedly at the age of 53 this past January, spent the past two decades as assistant executive director of hockey operations for USA Hockey. His positive impact on the sport in the United States was significant in many areas, particularly in the success of teams representing the U.S. on the international stage. ...

Current athletes committed to attend include Dylan Larkin (Detroit Red Wings), Auston Matthews (Toronto Maple Leafs), James van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia Flyers), Charlie McAvoy (Boston Bruins), Jimmy Howard (Detroit Red Wings), Zach Werenski (Columbus Blue Jackets), Ryan Suter (Minnesota Wild), Zach Parise (Minnesota Wild), Danny DeKeyser (Detroit Red Wings), Kyle Connor (Winnipeg Jets), Anders Bjork (Boston Bruins), J.T. Compher (Colorado Avalanche), Connor Murphy (Chicago Blackhawks), Matthew Tkachuk (Calgary Flames), Noah Hanifin (Calgary Flames), Patrick Eaves (Anaheim, Calif.), Connor Hellebuyck (Winnipeg Jets), Jake McCabe (Buffalo Sabres), Colin White (Ottawa Senators), Andrew Copp (Winnipeg Jets), Connor Carrick (Toronto Maple Leafs) and Luke Glendening (Detroit Red Wings). ...

Tickets are available online at USAHockeyArena.com, by calling the box office at 734-453-8400 or by visiting the USA Hockey Arena Box Office in person at 14900 Beck Road, Plymouth, Mich., 48170. ...

Read more at: Stars & Stripes Showdown Set For Aug. 26 at USA Hockey Arena

Reactions: Whalers Fan

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I was considering attending but 26th is our wedding anniversary - wife's not too thrilled with the idea.

What # anniversary is it? If its one of those special numbers, then I could see why. Still the game is being played in the afternoon, you still have the evening to go to dinner and celebrate. (Since the game is local to you - you have enough time to go home - get changed - go to dinner etc.) You get to attend the game and your wife gets the anniversary celebration - you both win.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It's our 29th anniversary. My wife is a good sport about going to all NTDP home games (and was the same with the Plymouth Whalers when they were here), so I'm okay with passing up this one. I am not a collector of autographs or memorabilia, so I'm not missing out on that. I probably would have just brought along my camera to get some photos (I'm an amateur photographer). The game itself will not be that exciting -- the Whalers used to hold an alumni game in the summer every couple of years, and it was strictly no checking and easy play (made the NHL All-Star game look like the Stanley Cup Finals in comparison). According to the ticket director, seats are selling very well since Patrick Kane decided to attend, so I'm sure they will be able to sell our two seats.

BTW, here are a few shots I took at the last Plymouth Whalers alumni game.

Tyler Seguin
451A2608-X3.jpg

451A2666-X3.jpg

James Neal
451A2606-X3.jpg

451A2699-X3.jpg

A.J. Jenks (anyone remember him?)
451A2661c-X3.jpg

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Nice pictures Whalers Fan! You should take some more throughout the season. I hope the people that come out that don’t usually attend get an eye opener to all these NTDP alumni household names. Then come out to more games. Congrats on the anniversary too

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Nice pictures Whalers Fan! You should take some more throughout the season. I hope the people that come out that don’t usually attend get an eye opener to all these NTDP alumni household names. Then come out to more games. Congrats on the anniversary too

Thanks. I have not brought a camera to a game in quite awhile, as it's difficult to watch the game while also concentrating on taking photos. I may bring it to a game this year just to get some shots of Hughes and the other future NHLers on the U18 team, though.

Reactions: NTDP

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I understand the event sold out, which is great. Our neighbor saw a report about the event on the local news, as well. Hopefully this will help get some publicity for the program.

Anyone who attended care to give their impressions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->