Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Martin Hanzal (3 Years, $4.75M AAV)

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Not that I disagree, but if they can make a big jump in improving goals against they don't need to score a million goals to win games.

True. All of these moves seem Hitch inspired. Just hope these defense improvements aren't at the cost of the offense. You do need both.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
I think Hanzal will be a shutdown center in the Defensive Zone, and be a Patrick Eaves type of player in front of the net. So you could see Spezza playing an offensive center role while Hanzal plays the defensive one on the same line. Just my two cents.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think Hanzal will be a shutdown center in the Defensive Zone, and be a Patrick Eaves type of player in front of the net. So you could see Spezza playing an offensive center role while Hanzal plays the defensive one on the same line. Just my two cents.

That's not going to happen. You can have guys rotating responsibilities based on the zone. Either one plays wing or they play on different lines.

I honestly can't think of an example of that ever happening ... rotating centers based on the zone.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
That's not going to happen. You can have guys rotating responsibilities based on the zone. Either one plays wing or they play on different lines.

I honestly can't think of an example of that ever happening ... rotating centers based on the zone.

Not so much rotating positions. Hanzal would be the official center, but Spezza is more of playmaker while Hanzal sets up in front of the net.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not so much rotating positions. Hanzal would be the official center, but Spezza is more of playmaker while Hanzal sets up in front of the net.

What roles they play is different than one playing center position in the D zone and other in the O zone. I'd agree that yes if they were together that's probably how it would look, but if they are together, there's no chance Spezza stays at center IMO.

As far as best value for the team, it's probably keeping them both at center.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
What roles they play is different than one playing center position in the D zone and other in the O zone. I'd agree that yes if they were together that's probably how it would look, but if they are together, there's no chance Spezza stays at center IMO.

As far as best value for the team, it's probably keeping them both at center.

He'd play like a center in the offensive zone. But I think a defensive lines with high minutes or Benn-Spezza-Seguin is most likely. But I think Seguin really, really wants to play center.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He'd play like a center in the offensive zone. But I think a defensive lines with high minutes or Benn-Spezza-Seguin is most likely. But I think Seguin really, really wants to play center.

I guess we'll see. It'll be interesting.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Look at it this way for $900k more per season over 3 years the Stars get Hanzal who is a upgrade over Eakin.

There's a lot of coaching options they can use Hanzal for.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
At first I didn't like it, but the more I've read into Hanzal the more I like him. I think he'll be used like a Ryan Kessler here in Dallas. I'd like to see Janmark-Hanzal-Spezza next year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Via CapFriendly ....

Front-loaded: $5.25, $5, and $4. NMC in Y1, and Modified 15 Team No Trade Y2-3.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
If Spezza isn't playing center then we should trade him while his value is still as a center for a real winger.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hanzal actually plays best with skill players on his wing. He is an underrated playmaker and creates a ton of space for his linemates. He was the key to Vrbata scoring 35 goals in a defense first Tippett system. He needs guys that are nimble and faster than him as well.

Completely changes a lineup and he's tough to play against, routinely injures guys on normal hits. You'll love him.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, hope Hanzel can play wing for Spezza's sake.

I view him as a Cody Eakin upgrade, and maybe even a Vern Fiddler upgrade, as Vern was key on the penalty kill, and when they let him go, it went to pot.

Also, seems like both a Hitch (D responsible) and Nill (Size) type player. I am sure they talked about how a bigger STL team bounced the Stars around in the playoffs two years ago.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Yeah, hope Hanzel can play wing for Spezza's sake.

I view him as a Cody Eakin upgrade, and maybe even a Vern Fiddler upgrade, as Vern was key on the penalty kill, and when they let him go, it went to pot.

Also, seems like both a Hitch (D responsible) and Nill (Size) type player. I am sure they talked about how a bigger STL team bounced the Stars around in the playoffs two years ago.

Hanzal is a better C then Spezza. Hitch already said Hanzal will be going up against other teams top lines also. Plus he's great at winning faceoffs

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hanzal is a better C then Spezza. Hitch already said Hanzal will be going up against other teams top lines also. Plus he's great at winning faceoffs

Yes, but that doesn't indicate the plan today is for Spezza to play wing. I'm not saying that's not a good plan, but until they make a comment one way or the other about Spezza, the plan could just as easily be playing all 4 of Faksa, Hanzal, Seguin, and Spezza down the middle.

I go back and forth on it. One of my unrealistic wishful thoughts before free agency was adding Thornton because I thought it would be nice to be that deep down the middle. It would seem sill then to not hope they do the same same thing now with Hanzal and throw 4 strong centers down the opponents throat. That said, you could make the case that Faksa, Hanzal, Seguin, and Shore would be a stronger group of 4 centers mostly because they allow a more balanced group of forwards.

We know Spezza has played well on a loaded line of Benn-Seguin-Spezza. Ritchie played a checking role in junior in the OHL, but he also has goal scoring ability. If you put him with Marleau and Hanzal, you'd have 3 big guys who can check. Two of them could be dangerous scorers. We already know Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky is an effective line. That would leave Shore and Janmark playing with the best remaining of Cracknell, Flynn, McKenzie, and Pitlick. It would seem like Janmark-Shore-Pitlick or Shore-Janmark-Pitlick could be a pretty nice 4th line who could chip in offensively. Ritchie could easily be pushed by all three of those guys as well for time on the 2nd line.

Benn-Seguin-Spezza
Marleau-Hanzal-Ritchie
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
Janmark-Shore-Pitlick

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Yes, but that doesn't indicate the plan today is for Spezza to play wing. I'm not saying that's not a good plan, but until they make a comment one way or the other about Spezza, the plan could just as easily be playing all 4 of Faksa, Hanzal, Seguin, and Spezza down the middle.

I go back and forth on it. One of my unrealistic wishful thoughts before free agency was adding Thornton because I thought it would be nice to be that deep down the middle. It would seem sill then to not hope they do the same same thing now with Hanzal and throw 4 strong centers down the opponents throat. That said, you could make the case that Faksa, Hanzal, Seguin, and Shore would be a stronger group of 4 centers mostly because they allow a more balanced group of forwards.

We know Spezza has played well on a loaded line of Benn-Seguin-Spezza. Ritchie played a checking role in junior in the OHL, but he also has goal scoring ability. If you put him with Marleau and Hanzal, you'd have 3 big guys who can check. Two of them could be dangerous scorers. We already know Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky is an effective line. That would leave Shore and Janmark playing with the best remaining of Cracknell, Flynn, McKenzie, and Pitlick. It would seem like Janmark-Shore-Pitlick or Shore-Janmark-Pitlick could be a pretty nice 4th line who could chip in offensively. Ritchie could easily be pushed by all three of those guys as well for time on the 2nd line.

Benn-Seguin-Spezza
Marleau-Hanzal-Ritchie
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
Janmark-Shore-Pitlick

That would be one deep lineup! If we lose on Radulov I'd be happy with what you projected

As for the other comment, I more so meant Hanzal would be the center if it came down to him and Spezza

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

Benn-Seguin-Spezza
Marleau-Hanzal-Ritchie
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
Janmark-Shore-Pitlick

Didnt Spezza play center and Seguin RW during that super line phase?

If they think Janmark is ready Id rather see him play with Faksa and Roussel on the third line and not bother resigning Hemsky. We have others who can fill the "inconsistent and often injured winger" role". Signing him (along with Pitlick and Cracknell) tells me Dickinson is still not ready even for 4th line duty and id rather not think we have another 1st round bust on our hands.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Didnt Spezza play center and Seguin RW during that super line phase?

If they think Janmark is ready Id rather see him play with Faksa and Roussel on the third line and not bother resigning Hemsky. We have others who can fill the "inconsistent and often injured winger" role". Signing him (along with Pitlick and Cracknell) tells me Dickinson is still not ready even for 4th line duty and id rather not think we have another 1st round bust on our hands.

It has more to do with Nill than Dickinson IMO. A 4th line with Elie and Dickinson would be fine for this team.

I know people want to "roll 4 lines" but that's not what I want. Load up 3 big boy lines with Seguin, Hanzal, and Faksa down the middle. Give them most of the minutes and have an ELC line with the Elies and Dickinsons and Gurianovs out there for 10 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->