Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Joe Pavelski (3 Years, $7M AAV) and Corey Perry (1 Year, $1.5M base, $1.75M bonuses)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Someone mentioned I was incorrect that he hadn't played LW, but I don't see why he or Perry couldn't play offwing.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
enjoy guys. yer gonna love how often he scores the craziest tip-in goals. its a treat to watch and he'll be sorely missed in sj.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I think it speaks volumes that the 2 other teams that were in hard on him who are also contenders. Ones you would think are closer to winning based on national media coverage, and he still chose Dallas.

As much as we shit on him for his drafting, Nill is probably one of the most respected and well liked guys in the league. That's really paid off for us often in these situations

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think it speaks volumes that the 2 other teams that were in hard on him who are also contenders. Ones you would think are closer to winning based on national media coverage, and he still chose Dallas.

As much as we **** on him for his drafting, Nill is probably one of the most respected and well liked guys in the league. That's really paid off for us often in these situations

He deserves every ounce of criticism for the drafting he gets, BUT, the last 3 years have been much better (IMO), the 2014 and 2016 draft look awful (15 picks, looking like 0 NHLers), but other than that...

2013: Val was the obvious pick at the time, Dickinson looks good.
2015: Hintz looks great, Gurianov is a maybe but at least showed promise in the AHL last season
2017: Miro, duh, Oettinger has potential, and Robertson was incredible this year
2018: Little early, but Dellandrea is being talked about as a potential 19 year old rookie next year (and for good reason) then you have Eriksson/Damiani/Back/Mascherin
2019: Everyone seems happy with Harley.

If it keeps trending toward the last 3, Nill can stay. Still would like McDonnell gone, sucks Oqvist couldn't take the head job.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
If it keeps trending toward the last 3, Nill can stay. Still would like McDonnell gone, sucks Oqvist couldn't take the head job.

I don’t know, a lot of the success lately has been from Ontario and that almost all would be McDonnell’s wheelhouse.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
He deserves every ounce of criticism for the drafting he gets, BUT, the last 3 years have been much better (IMO), the 2014 and 2016 draft look awful (15 picks, looking like 0 NHLers), but other than that...

2015: Hintz looks great, Gurianov is a maybe but at least showed promise in the AHL last season
2017: Miro, duh, Oettinger has potential, and Robertson was incredible this year
2018: Little early, but Dellandrea is being talked about as a potential 19 year old rookie next year (and for good reason) then you have Eriksson/Damiani/Back/Mascherin

Management still tends to draft high-floor/low-ceiling guys with size at those mid-first position. That is not just on McDonnell (and Nill) but also Les Jackson.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

But the total results remain awful. Over his seven drafts, you've identified three players playing in the NHL. There are some maybes and some hopefuls.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
But the total results remain awful. Over his seven drafts, you've identified three players playing in the NHL. There are some maybes and some hopefuls.

That's why I specifically mentioned the last 3 as being much better.

And saying over his 7 drafts isn't exactly being fair when players who were drafted 3 years ago are now just getting to the AHL, and could be rookies in the NHL this season.

The drafts from 2013-2016 were complete dog shit, no one is going to argue that, Dickinson & Hintz are the only players from those drafts who will likely play any significant time with Dallas (Gurianov being the only other one who could possibly make an impact). The 2017 draft could net us a franchise defender, a top 6 forward, and a starting goalie. Dellandrea looks like a really solid pick right now, too early to tell with the others, but Eriksson/Damiani had good D+1 years, and then this year which will, probably, at best add 1 NHL player, which is to be expected when you have 1 selection in the first 110 picks.

On paper it has improved, but hell, Honka looked like a guy who would play as a second pairing guy and look how that turned out. So who knows what happens to Robertson/Oettinger/Dellandrea/etc, but we at least have prospects to be excited about right now, besides Heiskanen, we didn't have that a year ago.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
2016 has a couple of guys who still have a decent shot . Just not highend talent . Caamano and Gardner are more than likely at best third to fourth liners . Tufte who knows ? Cecconi still has a decent shot from 2015 . As well.

2013 and 2014 though are really bad. Nobody really worked out all that well.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nice to see Corey Perry mention Roope Hintz's emergence as a reason to come here. Joe Pavelski did too apparently

Last edited:

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I do remember Perry saying Hintz name when during his callin on the TSN Free Agent Frenzy show.

Just watched it on TSN (God I love VPN's).

He seemed way more lax and open on the TSN interview. He's been saying everywhere that Dallas was high on his list and then goes on TSN and says "Dallas was my 1st choice".

Nicefeels.

Awesome to see Hintz get his recognition too. I've been seeing a lot of Blue's and Preds fans talk about Hintz since the playoffs ended.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I 100% agree with Nill and McDonnell having Hintz in their top 15 from that draft. They were probably thrilled to get him in the 2nd.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Hintz is actually what I’m most excited about for next season . He turned a page at the end of the year and I actually think he’s a top 3 forward on the team , ahead of Benn now . I am gonna go out on a limb here and say he puts up 50 + points next season .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->