Confirmed with Link: Stars sign F Sam Steel (1-year, $850k)

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
For those wondering how many rookie forwards were going to make the team this season, the Stars are quickly eliminating openings.
Thats partly why I envisioned Marchment as the odd man out this offseason. I think Duchene in adds more credibility to that theory. Faksa has been floated but he isn’t going to be taking away those guys minutes in the role he plays. Could be way off base.

Reactions: Zapp

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I’m happier about this than I should be, but I think at 25 there’s still some un-tapped offense in Steel. He’ll be a 4th liner if you play him with guys like Dellandrea/Faksa/Mush but i could see him rack up more points with a player like Johnston or Duchene on his line.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I’m happier about this than I should be, but I think at 25 there’s still some un-tapped offense in Steel. He’ll be a 4th liner if you play him with guys like Dellandrea/Faksa/Mush but i could see him rack up more points with a player like Johnston or Duchene on his line.

He produced very little between Kaprizov and Zuccarello. I don't think he offers any more than we've already seen.

I still like him as a 12-14th forward.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
For those wondering how many rookie forwards were going to make the team this season, the Stars are quickly eliminating openings.
This is why I'm always annoyed at deals like this and the Smith deal. Granted, both these guys are lightyears ahead of scrubs like Glendening and Kiviranta, these are genuine upgrades. I know that both guys can easily be buried if needed, but this is Jim Nill we're talking about. He's a hoarder. Even if Stankoven or Borque absolutely clown on these guys (or Faksa), it'll take months to adjust. It's like the less extreme version of Oettinger having to beat out the corpses of Khudobin and Holtby to make the team. Or trading Lundkvist to play in front of Harley. Once they sign Dellandrea, that's 13 forwards.

I am genuinely thrilled I never have to hear about how great Glendening is at faceoffs ever again, though.

Last edited:

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
But Steel can easily be sent down and the cap covered, Nill has never (that I can remember at least) just opened up a spot and penciled in a rookie, they have to earn a spot over a vet so having cheap deals like Steel and Smith that can put on waivers if one or both of the prospects is fine. Its easier for him to assume a rookie wont make the jump and then waive someone other than hope a rookie is ready and if they aren't then sign someone left over in Sept/Oct

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
This is why I'm always annoyed at deals like this and the Smith deal. Granted, both these guys are lightyears ahead of scrubs like Glendening and Kiviranta, these are genuine upgrades. I know that both guys can easily be buried if needed, but this is Jim Nill we're talking about. He's a hoarder. Even if Stankoven or Borque absolutely clown on these guys (or Faksa), it'll take months to adjust. It's like the less extreme version of Oettinger having to beat out the corpses of Khudobin and Holtby to make the team. Or trading Lundkvist to play in front of Harley. Once they sign Dellandrea, that's 13 forwards.

I am genuinely thrilled I never have to hear about how great Glendening is at faceoffs ever again, though.
man, we're really gonna miss glendening on the dot.

he was so GREAT at faceoffs.

wasn't he GREAT at faceoffs??

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
man, we're really gonna miss glendening on the dot.

he was so GREAT at faceoffs.

wasn't he GREAT at faceoffs??
If you took a sip of beer every time they mentioned the Stars (and Glendening's) faceoff prowess during a playoff game this year, you would have died of alcohol poisoning before getting through the game.

I don't like Glendening as a player, but my god, it's nothing compared to how annoying the conversation around him is. :laugh:

Reactions: piqued and Johno

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If you took a sip of beer every time they mentioned the Stars (and Glendening's) faceoff prowess during a playoff game this year, you would have died of alcohol poisoning before getting through the game.

I don't like Glendening as a player, but my god, it's nothing compared to how annoying the conversation around him is. :laugh:
He was good at what he was good at, but still "just" a 4th liner, but I think some here compare everyone to Gretsky and find they don't measure up somehow. I don't recall him ever costing us a game, like the Suter turnover, and he played well in the playoffs. Hey, if we, and now a team like TB thinks he has value, he cannot be all bad.

Reactions: Ub the Bub

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Weird, i remember Raffl was one of the better bottom 6 contributors we've had in a long time. Maybe my memory is failing me.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Weird, i remember Raffl was one of the better bottom 6 contributors we've had in a long time. Maybe my memory is failing me.
Raffl was 7th in ice time per game among forwards. He was 16th in points per 60, behind guys like Tufte and Comeau. Raffl was out there playing a lot and doing little. This is why he’s no longer an NHLer.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Raffle was one of the teams better players in the Calgary series but that was not because Raffle was that good but because the forward core barely showed up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad