Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Andrej Sekera (1 Year, $1.5M base, $500K bonuses)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By his words he is 100% now and the way he played in the Worlds I wouldn't disagree with that. And based on those things I can be optimistic about him playing a good chunk of the season.

The grind of a full NHL season really takes a toll . I think he can still contribute and play well but a 82 games season with a ton of travel and back to backs ? Thats not exactly a healthy thing especially if you had to go throw a ton of injuries before.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Dallas has enough D depth to not ask Johns, Polak, or Sekera to play all 82 games.

We say this every year. Every NHL team has depth. The question is, is our depth better than last year? Is it better than anybody else’s in the central? When we keep acquiring injury prone starters, ex. Methot, Hanzal, etc, and are forced to play guys 7th/8th guys like Polak, with no upside then we are not better.

FYI, I hated the Methot deal when it happened. I was lukewarm about Bishop for the same reasons. We lucked out on the later. We may not this year. When we assemble so many aging players with bad health track records you’re looking for trouble as in a nice lottery pick. That said, Imlove the Pavelski move mainly because he can still produce but also because he brings in much needed leadership, he will be our real captain.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
We say this every year. Every NHL team has depth. The question is, is our depth better than last year? Is it better than anybody else’s in the central? When we keep acquiring injury prone starters, ex. Methot, Hanzal, etc, and are forced to play guys 7th/8th guys like Polak, with no upside then we are not better.

Yup, our 30 point depth guys were 15 point depth guys.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Maybe he actually has some of the best decision making for us, but we're so used to mediocre decision making that it looks out of place and doesn't fit with the norm?

I don't think he's been that bad. Just a combination of rusty and slowing down. `

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Maybe he actually has some of the best decision making for us, but we're so used to mediocre decision making that it looks out of place and doesn't fit with the norm?

I don't think he's been that bad. Just a combination of rusty and slowing down. `

Idk if waiting a super long time to move the puck just to turn it over in the end is better than what we have. I'd rather them just do the Roman Polak and throw it out into the neutral zone at that point

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He's fine for the most part. He's so very slow, and that hurts him a lot. He got burned the last game pretty bad. His mobility issues have also had him end up being more of a screen than shot blocker a couple of times where he's been unable to get out to properly challenge a shot. I like what he does with his stick in his own zone for the most part. He's pretty good at getting the puck out of trouble for a guy who is slow and not at all physical.

The slow decision making folks are talking about is an odd one. I'm not sure if it's a chemistry thing or what. It's like he's waiting for a passing lane to open up or waiting for a forward to actually look back and give him a target. His lack of mobility is partly a factor here where he's not able to skate himself into better passing options. But I kinda wonder how many times he's gone to the bench in those instances and said, "I had no one to pass to."

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Eh, Methot, Pollak, Sekera. Either way, we were going to have a big, burly, slow D man on the second pair. They obviously prefer a slow guy with average decision making to a fast guy (Honka) with truly poor decision making.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
One thing I’ve noticed with this team under Monty is they go through stretches where they’re all thinking too much. It looks like when they get the puck they aren’t sure wtf to do with it and the other team closes on them. When they’re playing well, they don’t all seem to take that extra second to make a decision. It’s odd, it seems like they’re unfamiliar with the system at times.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
His slow decision making is his unfamiliarity with his team. He did that early on in Edm and it was driving us bonkers.

He finally shaked that off and was outstanding for us before his injury

Reactions: Pomee

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Eh, Methot, Pollak, Sekera. Either way, we were going to have a big, burly, slow D man on the second pair. They obviously prefer a slow guy with average decision making to a fast guy (Honka) with truly poor decision making.

Because having a decent mix of both worlds is simply preposterous, according to the jackasses that run things.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Sekera was once considered that blend. This is Nill shopping on the cheap, buying players past their expiration date.

Maybe with Hanzel and Maybe John's on LTIR, he can trade for a better one.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Sekera was once considered that blend. This is Nill shopping on the cheap, buying players past their expiration date.

Maybe with Hanzel and Maybe John's on LTIR, he can trade for a better one.

You think?

Now imagine that we have to witness this shit-show till the end of 2023.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I'm not all that up over it tbh. Hes gone in a year regardless. Good low risk medium reward situation- still got time to turn it around.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He is really slow and should be playing third pairing minutes. Only our third pairing has guys who are barely NHL players.

That Oleksiak-Fedun/Hanley pairing has been a major weakpoint . That means also Sekera now plays 20+ minutes regularly and he really shouldn't. He's slower than Polak now. Not faulting him he was injured like crazy but he is just so slow.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Hey guys, just curious what the thoughts are on Sekera at this point, as he is a pending UFA and 34 years of age.

Not many points, but played 18 minutes per game in the regular season (4th among d-men on the Stars) and was a +9 (second among d-men).

I realize that he's past his prime, but is he still a savvy veteran for a 3rd pairing role? Would you consider re-signing him with the Stars? If not, how confident are you he will get another job in the NHL?

Reactions: Pomee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad