GDT: Stars General Thread '23-24

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
We need to add defenders that the coaching staff actually trusts to drop Suter to the six spot permanently and 12-14min a night.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
In addition to the front office loving him, another reason Suter probably isn’t getting bought out is the Stars will already go into next season with $2.6 million of dead cap money because of performance bonuses being paid to Pavelski, Stankoven, Lundkvist, and Harley. This is the downside of using LTIR to go over the cap because it punts those performance bonus cap hits to the next season.

Pavelski’s contract was purposely structured this way to allow them to spread his cap hit over two seasons. Vegas isn’t the only team doing funny cap math under the rules.

While the cap will go up $4 million next season, the Stars will already have consumed over half of it paying for this season’s roster. Buying Suter out would add another $783k in dead cap money.

FYI, their bonus carryover penalty going into this season was only $372k.

thing is, what vegas did is collude and lie about injury status. bonus overage and construction is transparent and able to be replicated by anyone without having a player unnecessarily sit out of games just to game the cap.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
A thought occurred to me today that the Blues knew how to break the Montgomery-era Stars turtle, they would cycle it to death, out-changing and patiently waiting for a seam to eventually open up, as it always will once the defenders get winded.

I remember St. Louis fans being angry about the Berube firing, saying it wasn't his fault and the GM was just covering for his own failure to create an adequate roster.

How about it Jim Nill, wouldn't it be fun to piss off Blues' fans by hiring their favorite coach of all time?

(And then he could coach Christian Kyrou to a Cup :laugh: )

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I think Pete is a good coach but not a great coach. That being said there are several really good coaches available that I think would do better than Pete. If Dallas gets swept or can only manage 1 win I would show DeBoer the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad