GDT: Stars @ Flames: Nov 13 7:30 PM MT - SN1

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Our 4th line in tonights game has in 49 games played combined for 1 goal 3 assists, a collective +/- of -20 and the best part is we're paying them over 7.5 million to do that.

I kind of thought ~8 million dollar 4th lines ended with Stajan and Brouwer but I guess not.

Stajan brouwer was better than the mess we have now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We're not getting enough penetration 5-on-5. We're playing low-risk hockey, but if we don't bury before the other team, that puts us behind the eight ball.

Looking forward to when this team finds its transition game again, because the margin for error is larger than it should be if you're gambling on so few chances.

Reactions: Janks

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Backlund missing a wide open net by 2 feet a foot outside the crease on a 3-1 leading to a 2-1 goal against 10 seconds later hurts pretty bad.
I thought the worst thing was Mangiapane not converting that chance right at the start of the game, to be honest. I think it would do this team a world of good to play with an early lead for once.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
No depth... none. Team does dickity at ES and the team has holes everywhere in their game.

Peters looks a desperate man right now. I really think he doesn't know what to do. If this is the result of days of practice, I'm seriously questioning the coaches fit and the roster makeup in general.
At this point, we've had multiple coaches. I just don't think this core has the drive and compete level overall, and Scotty Bowman wouldn't make much of a difference

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames need to start playing their fast up tempo game again to get the offence going. They're playing too much Gulutzan era hockey and not last year hockey.

Still though, the offence needs a re-haul. I don't agree at all that our prospect base is that bad, we have 3-4 guys who are putting up huge/good numbers in their respective league and surely a couple of these guys should pan out. Zav and Pelletier are both on fire in the Q, Dube is a ppg player in the AHL and Matt Philips is now over a ppg in the AHL. Also, when you graduated all your first round picks pretty much the following year for years it will take hits to the prospect pool.

To say we have no defensive prospects is a bit of a short sighted comment. That's only technically true because we just graduated 3 guys within the last year to the main roster (Andersson, Kylington and Vali). Not to mention Hanifin is actually younger than Ras and I think we're completely fine, especially with how Noah has been playing this year and with how Vali ended last year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
At this point, we've had multiple coaches. I just don't think this core has the drive and compete level overall, and Scotty Bowman wouldn't make much of a difference

The biggest problem with this team in 2015 was a shortage of right shot forwards. David Jones was essentially our only one of note (lol), plus a grinder in Jooris.

2016? Same issue.

2017? Replace Jones with Brouwer and Jooris with Chiasson. We did add Versteeg to the PP which helped immensely.

2018? Same issue. Throw in a bit of Curtis Lazar. Subtract Versteeg due to injury.

2019? We added Lindholm and our PP1 bounced back to where it was with Versteeg. We added Ryan and our bottom six looked solid. Hathaway fit that Chiasson 4RW role well. Czarnik found a role with Janko and Bennett after Neal's injury. Lindholm faded down the stretch though and wasn't even generating chances. Lindholm was invisible in the playoffs and Czarnik sat out in favour of Neal because $$$. Hathaway and Ryan formed 2/3rds of our best playoff line arguablyn

2020 - subtract Hathaway(due to UFA), subtract Czarnik (due to injury). Lindholm's lack of truly elite talent has been scouted out and teams can focus on Gaudreau again (yes Lindholm has produced, but he hasn't creates).

The problem is still the same as ever. Too many LHS and too few RHS at forward makes our breakouts and rush and cycle game far too easy to contain line to line. Lindholm should be a 2RW on a contender a la Silfverberg when the Ducks were elite. We still need a RHS 1st line forward, a RHS 4th line forward, and Sam Bennett at center instead of Sean Monahan. Ideally our lineup would look something like

Gaudreau - Bennett - Blake Wheeler
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Ryan - Monahan
Lucic - Bonino - Czarnik

Instead, with Rieder and Lucic and Quine we're just oversaturated with LHS forwards.

Reactions: Foo Fighter
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
The biggest problem with this team in 2015 was a shortage of right shot forwards. David Jones was essentially our only one of note (lol), plus a grinder in Jooris.

2016? Same issue.

2017? Replace Jones with Brouwer and Jooris with Chiasson. We did add Versteeg to the PP which helped immensely.

2018? Same issue. Throw in a bit of Curtis Lazar. Subtract Versteeg due to injury.

2019? We added Lindholm and our PP1 bounced back to where it was with Versteeg. We added Ryan and our bottom six looked solid. Hathaway fit that Chiasson 4RW role well. Czarnik found a role with Janko and Bennett after Neal's injury. Lindholm faded down the stretch though and wasn't even generating chances. Lindholm was invisible in the playoffs and Czarnik sat out in favour of Neal because $$$. Hathaway and Ryan formed 2/3rds of our best playoff line arguablyn

2020 - subtract Hathaway(due to UFA), subtract Czarnik (due to injury). Lindholm's lack of truly elite talent has been scouted out and teams can focus on Gaudreau again (yes Lindholm has produced, but he hasn't creates).

The problem is still the same as ever. Too many LHS and too few RHS at forward makes our breakouts and rush and cycle game far too easy to contain line to line. Lindholm should be a 2RW on a contender a la Silfverberg when the Ducks were elite. We still need a RHS 1st line forward, a RHS 4th line forward, and Sam Bennett at center instead of Sean Monahan. Ideally our lineup would look something like

Lucic - Bonino - Czarnik

Instead, with Rieder and Lucic and Quine we're just oversaturated with LHS forwards.

Not sure how anybody at this point can say Bennett is a first line player.. dude just doesn't have good hockey IQ.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Our first line has:

- Our main playmaking threat who can be thrown off his game easier than almost anyone in the league
- A center who couldn't look more uncomfortable with the puck if he tried
- Our second best playmaking forward who is trying his best to feed off the scraps from the other two guys
- Virtually no forechecking ability

Bonus: -Limited service from our most offensively gifted Dman

We finished second in the league last year and the west is an even bigger mess this year. We're good enough to make some noise in the regular season but the book is out on our first line. Goddamn switch it up.

Also, Lucic and Jankowski can do some soul-searching in the pressbox for the rest of the month for all I care. Promote some kids and get some fresh blood in that dog's breakfast of a fourth line

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The good lineup

Tkachuk-Monahan-Phillips/Ryan
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Dube/Ryan
Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube/Phillips
Bennett-Gawdin-Frolik

Giordano-Andersson/Brodie
Hanifin-Brodie/Andersson
Kylington-Hamonic

Quit shooting yourselves in the foot playing Lucic, Jankowski, Quine, Stone and Reider every game. Try giving it to some hungry young guys who actually might have some talent. Bennett and Frolik have been so appallingly bad this season that they narrowly avoid the scratched/sent down group based on past performance and not having anybody else to play.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

2016? Same issue.

Lucic - Bonino - Czarnik

Give me a legitimate reason backed up by something based in reality that Bennett deserves #1C minutes off of his play this year. I need a little more than memes, because I’ve become convinced you legitimately believe this.

Besides the point, I think Lindy is fine as a top line rw. The bigger issue is our 2nd line. Backs has been cold as ice, and we don’t have a reliable option on the rw rn for that line.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
In what world does Bennett belong on the first line? If you increase his ice time you might as well just sit him in the penalty box for half the game.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In what world does Bennett belong on the first line? If you increase his ice time you might as well just sit him in the penalty box for half the game.
I am 99% convinced it is not the real world

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was at the game last night, Tkachuk hands down generates more scoring chances than anyone else on our team. Gaudreau looked awful, and Monahan looks close to breaking out, didn't mind him at all.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Mangiapane has to bury that. Bush league attempt. Figure it out
I've always been annoyed whenever NHLers opt not to elevate the puck on plays like that. It shouldn't be hard to lift it 2 ft off the ice if you play in the NHL especially on the forehand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad