News: Stars - Can spend to the cap / Not buying out.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They've got about $14 mil in cap space and they still have to sign Gurianov, Hintz, and Faksa.

Faksa's got arbitration rights so hopefully they iron out all three before then.

By allowing Khudobin to walk I assume they're penciling in Oettinger as fulltime backup to Bishop.

Perry and Janmark are they only other key UFAs, not sure how keen either one is on staying - or if the Stars are making them any offers.

Also....what's a Group 6 UFA? I see on the list that depth blueliners Heatherington and Bayreuther are in this category.

Reactions: My3Sons

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
They've got about $14 mil in cap space and they still have to sign Gurianov, Hintz, and Faksa.

Faksa's got arbitration rights so hopefully they iron out all three before then.

By allowing Khudobin to walk I assume they're penciling in Oettinger as fulltime backup to Bishop.

Perry and Janmark are they only other key UFAs, not sure how keen either one is on staying - or if the Stars are making them any offers.

Also....what's a Group 6 UFA? I see on the list that depth blueliners Heatherington and Bayreuther are in this category.
They are free agents because you didn't give them enough NHL games before a certain age

Reactions: 5cotland

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Great for them, arent they already pretty close to the cap?
The Stars have roughly $14million in cap space with about 5 players left to sign. Faska, Hintz and Gurianov will probably take up roughly $10million. The remaining cap would sign a b/u goalie and fill out the roster - So they are close to the cap, but they do have some flexibility.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Great for them, arent they already pretty close to the cap?
Not really. They used to get mediocre results and were spending a lot, but this year they won a lot and didn't really break the bank.

Their big issue is probably Khudobin. Losing your goalie that took you to the finals would be...unfortunate. He shouldn't be asking a lot, but it starts getting tight if he asks for too much,.

HIntz, Faksa, and Gurianov will soak up most of their free cap space and the rest will got to filling out their roster, but they can still make a more or two.

Their big issue is that they're getting old, not cap.

Benn, Pavelski, Radulov, Cogliano, COmeau, Perry, Sekera, Bishop, Khudobin are all 31+. Some of those guys aren't huge contributors, but others are key pieces that aren't cheap to replace.

Reactions: hn777

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
The Stars have roughly $14million in cap space with about 5 players left to sign. Faska, Hintz and Gurianov will probably take up roughly $10million. The remaining cap would sign a b/u goalie and fill out the roster - So they are close to the cap, but they do have some flexibility.
Dallas has Oettinger on an ELC and he is ready for the big show so not really a need to spend that money in this goalie market.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Not really. They used to get mediocre results and were spending a lot, but this year they won a lot and didn't really break the bank.

Their big issue is probably Khudobin. Losing your goalie that took you to the finals would be...unfortunate. He shouldn't be asking a lot, but it starts getting tight if he asks for too much,.

HIntz, Faksa, and Gurianov will soak up most of their free cap space and the rest will got to filling out their roster, but they can still make a more or two.

Their big issue is that they're getting old, not cap.

Benn, Pavelski, Radulov, Cogliano, COmeau, Perry, Sekera, Bishop, Khudobin are all 31+. Some of those guys aren't huge contributors, but others are key pieces that aren't cheap to replace.

Haven't heard anything on Perry so it wouldn't surprise me if he walks. Khudobin I think is gone.

Comeau and Cogs are here for another season and then likely both gone as well.

Still an old core, granted - perhaps one of the oldest in the league - but they've got some promising youth coming up as replacements.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Dallas has Oettinger on an ELC and he is ready for the big show so not really a need to spend that money in this goalie market.
I was wondering if this was the plan, but after the playoff run by Khudobin I thought there might be more of an appetite to bring him back.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Haven't heard anything on Perry so it wouldn't surprise me if he walks. Khudobin I think is gone.

Comeau and Cogs are here for another season and then likely both gone as well.

Still an old core, granted - perhaps one of the oldest in the league - but they've got some promising youth coming up as replacements.
Everyone has promising youth.

If it were me. Perry would walk with a nice thank you letter and I'd go all in on Hall. They're in a good spot to land Hall on an edit:2 year contract (and then re-sign him once Pavelski walks) they just need to clear cap room.

I'd be all over trying to get Bishop (with incentive) traded if Khudobin can be signed at a reasonable rate. If you play a big of hardball with Hintz, Faksa, and Gurianov and dump Coligano, that might even get you there.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I was wondering if this was the plan, but after the playoff run by Khudobin I thought there might be more of an appetite to bring him back.
He is looking for 3 years and more $$ and Dallas is not going to give him the years. They would probably give him the money part but the years is the stickler. Otter is ready and why tuck him down the list as the backup to the backup.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Everyone has promising youth.

If it were me. Perry would walk with a nice thank you letter and I'd go all in on Hall. They're in a good spot to land Hall on an edit:2 year contract (and then re-sign him once Pavelski walks) they just need to clear cap room.

I'd be all over trying to get Bishop (with incentive) traded if Khudobin can be signed at a reasonable rate. If you play a big of hardball with Hintz, Faksa, and Gurianov and dump Coligano, that might even get you there.

Dallas has $0 in cap space, how do you think we should sign Hall? 2 years, 950k per year?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Dallas has $0 in cap space, how do you think we should sign Hall? 2 years, 950k per year?
The trick is erasing Bishop and Cogliano's contracts in trades without having to spell out the obscene costs such trades would require. That is more than 8M in space for Hall.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The trick is erasing Bishop and Cogliano's contracts in trades without having to spell out the obscene costs such trades would require. That is more than 8M in space for Hall.

13M for Hintz, Gurianov, Faksa, Backup Goalie

Trade Cogliano, trade Bishop, thats 8.25 million

8.25 million to sign Hall and a Starting Goalie

Your math isn't adding up.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
He just said the hospitality industry has been hit hard, which is absolutely true, he never said that Galgardi set an internal cap, though he suggested it might be something to consider.

There's been rumors that some NHL teams will have to run on internal budgets rather than the cap because of reduced income or whatnot.

I guess we'll find out Friday. My guess is all the teams budgets etc won't change 1 bit. If they spent to the cap before.. they'll spend to the cap now.
Arizona may be the one outlier. I can even see Ottawa increasing their budget drastically.

The owners want to win and the new cba gave them some measure of cost certainty (I don't really know how) static cap be damned I can't see how revenue next year comes within a farts whiff of recent years.
I guess escrow will be massive?
My guess is they don't mind going into debt for the team with todays interest rates. Especially once you factor in how badly they all want to win and how discounted the players contracts appear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad