Post-Game Talk: Stars 3 @ Panthers 0 - 24/2 * 5pm EST - v 1.1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Winning is more fun. We should have scored a few goals, but I would have liked to see Connolly get some time on the top line when things got a bit stale in the third period.

Do we have an official icing counter for Yandle? Must start to leave even Gudbranson behind in career numbers after last game...
He had three in the first period or so? And then connected with five or so in the second half of the game? It's a nice weapon. So much better than the chip-it-off-the-boards game that Randy Moller prescribes. He explicitly said that he wants more predictable play. Opposing defenses agree.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Winning is more fun. We should have scored a few goals, but I would have liked to see Connolly get some time on the top line when things got a bit stale in the third period.

He had three in the first period or so? And then connected with five or so in the second half of the game? It's a nice weapon. So much better than the chip-it-off-the-boards game that Randy Moller prescribes. He explicitly said that he wants more predictable play. Opposing defenses agree.
A nice weapon, yes, for shooting yourself in the foot

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
We pay Bobrovsky $10 million for a performance like Khudobin has given the past 2 games.

No more “bad defense” excuses.
Bad defense still happens and has happened, regardless of high contract and shot numbers. Dallas didn't exactly have a bad defensive game, they just gave up a lot of shots. Either way, Khudobin was surely on his game the last two and you are definitely right about Bob that he should be on the same level of puck tracking that Khudobin displayed on us this week. $10 million...damn.

Reactions: harv33173

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
If that was true, his other stats would be worse. It's a higher risk/reward play, and it all depends on the cost of the risk and the value of the reward. The cost of an icing isn't all that high on average.
I partly agree. Their is a risk and potential cost involved. Having a FO in your D zone is always a disadvantage, especially with the new rules that make it harder for the defending team to win it. So you lose possession and it disrupts the team play. It does not have to result in a clearly measurable cost in form of a goal. There are also good and bad icing plays for a D man, neither one showing up in the stats.

Last game, none of his stretch passes connected and in those situations, he was not forced to make a play or ice it so to me they were all unnecessary bad icing plays. I agree the risk is not that high and the reward in form of a goal can be big. Nevertheless, those plays were completely ineffective yesterday. He does not have to hit a homerun on each of those passes, but when he never connects in a whole game it is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProjectPanthers

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I partly agree. Their is a risk and potential cost involved. Having a FO in your D zone is always a disadvantage, especially with the new rules that make it harder for the defending team to win it. So you lose position and it disrupts the team play. It does not have to result in a clearly measurable cost in form of a goal. There are also good and bad icing plays for a D man, neither one showing up in the stats.

Last game, none of his stretch passes connected and in those situations, he was not forced to make a play or ice it so to me they were all unnecessary bad icing plays. I agree the risk is not that high and the reward in form of a goal can be big. Nevertheless, those plays were completely ineffective yesterday. He does not have to hit a homerun on each of those passes, but when he never connects in a whole game it is a bad thing.

Kaptain Keith can't process the game anymore at the required level. When he can't cope with the speed of the game but he still needs to rack up those (powerplay) points and justify his maestro-like puck moving presence then he has to go for even riskier and desperate plays. Therefore, he ends up coughing up the puck even on the powerplay when there's only a minimal amount of pressure to obstruct him from making good plays. For every good play he makes like three mistakes.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Kaptain Keith can't process the game anymore at the required level. When he can't cope with the speed of the game but he still needs to rack up those (powerplay) points and justify his maestro-like puck moving presence then he has to go for even riskier and desperate plays. Therefore, he ends up coughing up the puck even on the powerplay when there's only a minimal amount of pressure to obstruct him from making good plays. For every good play he makes like three mistakes.
He has good and bad games with this. What he should be at this salary is at least rock-solid or good all the time

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I partly agree. Their is a risk and potential cost involved. Having a FO in your D zone is always a disadvantage, especially with the new rules that make it harder for the defending team to win it. So you lose possession and it disrupts the team play. It does not have to result in a clearly measurable cost in form of a goal. There are also good and bad icing plays for a D man, neither one showing up in the stats.

But he did connect more often than not. It was just egregious that pretty much the first three did not. In the second half of the game the passes hit the intended blades, so you did not notice them.

Reactions: harv33173

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
But he did connect more often than not. It was just egregious that pretty much the first three did not. In the second half of the game the passes hit the intended blades, so you did not notice them.
Oh I noticed. Doesn't undo those 3 horrible plays, and there was no "great" pass during the second part.
I am neither bashing him for every bad play nor praising him for decent or great plays. Should not have this discussion for a guy making 6 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad