Stars 2019 Training Camp and Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Our top 6 looks better this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cogliano, Comeau, Janmark, and Dowling all end up with less than 20 points this season and none of them with double digits in goals. That's just unacceptable to have in your lineup. At some point you gotta sacrifice defense for offense and our 3rd line especially plays wayyy too much to not be putting up around 30 points each.

Add to that that Gurianov might not hit 30 points too, maybe not even Perry, and that's a serious issue. They're more of a wild card though, the others are almost a guarantee to not hit it. Janmark could maybe get close but he's not touching 15+ goals again with that shot of his

Faksa is our only bottom 6 guy that's likely to hit double digits in goals

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Guys . Just because Dowling isn’t a high draft pick with a point per game in the ahl doesn’t mean you can’t like him . The guys a smart , reliable player and has earned his spot on the team .

Reactions: Blindsummit

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Guys . Just because Dowling isn’t a high draft pick with a point per game in the ahl doesn’t mean you can’t like him . The guys a smart , reliable player and has earned his spot on the team .

Exactly . I don't think someone like Nic Petan is any better than Dowling for example. Just compare AHL stats. Dowling can play a game on the 4th line that is ok with our coach . Quite a few AHL scorers can't do that.

Reactions: Bfantz

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I like this line up the best so far. I’d move Radulov/Pavelski but not a huge complaint.

I think Rads is better with faster players. Seguin and Benn play slower anyway. That makes more sense with Pavelski. Also Seguin and Pavelski should work well together . Seguin is consistently in the top5 of shots in the league . You pair that with guy who is known for tipping pucks and you have a good match.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
As for the waiver situation it’s always interesting to take a stab at a former highly rated prospect like Ho Sang/Sprong, but there is a reason why these guys got waived. I do think rebuilding teams should take a stab though. At best you get a good young player at worst they help the tank.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Our top 6 looks better this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cogliano, Comeau, Janmark, and Dowling all end up with less than 20 points this season and none of them with double digits in goals. That's just unacceptable to have in your lineup. At some point you gotta sacrifice defense for offense and our 3rd line especially plays wayyy too much to not be putting up around 30 points each.

Add to that that Gurianov might not hit 30 points too, maybe not even Perry, and that's a serious issue. They're more of a wild card though, the others are almost a guarantee to not hit it. Janmark could maybe get close but he's not touching 15+ goals again with that shot of his

Faksa is our only bottom 6 guy that's likely to hit double digits in goals
I think hintz Is definitely gonna boost the scoring this year though and pavelski aswell . If hintz and pavelski can get even 40 points each that’s a good boost .Heiskanen looks like he’s on another level than last year too . If they can get more goals out of the top 6 there won’t be much pressure on the bottom 6 to score , which would likely result in the bottom 6 actually scoring more .

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think Rads is better with faster players. Seguin and Benn play slower anyway. That makes more sense with Pavelski. Also Seguin and Pavelski should work well together . Seguin is consistently in the top5 of shots in the league . You pair that with guy who is known for tipping pucks and you have a good match.

Oh yeah I can see why they are putting the line together just a personal preference and Benn/Pavelski on the same line is a little to much slow for me. Also with face offs it’s nice to have Pavelski/Hintz on their strong sides.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Not that with just 12 available forwards there's too many things they could do differently.

Nill's bottom two lines are like an MC Escher drawing. Nill somehow managed to make a bunch of changes that resulted in no change.

Nill got rid of four bottom of the roster forwards this offseason in Spezza, Ritchie, Nichushkin, and Pitlick. That's 30% of last season's forward group gone. Yet when you look at the bottom two lines, it's like there's nothing new.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nill's bottom two lines are like an MC Escher drawing. Nill somehow managed to make a bunch of changes that resulted in no change.

Nill got rid of four bottom of the roster forwards this offseason in Spezza, Ritchie, Nichushkin, and Pitlick. That's 30% of last season's forward group gone. Yet when you look at the bottom two lines, it's like there's nothing new.

That's cause those guys basically spent the entire season getting swapped in and out for each other

Reactions: LatvianTwist

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean, Guiranov is being set up to fail on that 4th line. Then again, he doesn't deserve top six time right now.

Think we'll see him play with Rads a good chunk when Monty shuffles the lines. He aparently looked very good in the last game against the Blues when Monty put Gurianov and Radulov on the same line .

In a perfect world when Perry comes back Gurianov has played so well that Dowling sits and

Janmark-Dickinson-Perry becomes a good fourth line.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Think we'll see him play with Rads a good chunk when Monty shuffles the lines. He aparently looked very good in the last game against the Blues when Monty put Gurianov and Radulov on the same line .

In a perfect world when Perry comes back Gurianov has played so well that Dowling sits and

Janmark-Dickinson-Perry becomes a good fourth line.

In a perfect world Perry returns as his past self and is a top 6 player for us

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I mean thats not happening either way. Perry is too brittle now and he's also too slow now to play with Hintz imho.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I mean thats not happening either way. Perry is too brittle now and he's also too slow now to play with Hintz imho.

We did say a perfect world :dunno:

The Gurianov option though of course is much more realistic

capajoe

Sep 30, 2019
Hey,

I am a Canucks fan (I know wrong place), but I’m just curious how Gardner has looked in the preseason. I haven’t been able to watch anything due to work and such.

Mainly curious if he might be getting some big league time as he’s my cousin.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hey,

I am a Canucks fan (I know wrong place), but I’m just curious how Gardner has looked in the preseason. I haven’t been able to watch anything due to work and such.

Alright enough that he was one of the last cuts. Coach seemed to like him. There's a chance he's getting called up for upcoming roadtrip as the extra forward and get into games.

In a normal season there's a chance he would've made the roster as an extra forward but with the Stars so close to the cap Stars are only carrying extras when they need them.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

In a perfect world our offense would look like this:

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Hintz - Barzal - Pavelski
who cares - Larkin - who cares
who cares

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hey,

serp's right. It wouldn't surprise me to see Gardner be the first call up if a bottom 6 forward goes down with an injury.

capajoe

Sep 30, 2019
Alright enough that he was one of the last cuts. Coach seemed to like him. There's a chance he's getting called up for upcoming roadtrip as the extra forward and get into games.

In a normal season there's a chance he would've made the roster as an extra forward but with the Stars so close to the cap Stars are only carrying extras when they need them.

Beauty, thanks.

Probably have to be my next jersey purchase over any Canuck.

I helped out Jaden Schwartz dad when the Stars played the Blues last playoffs and told him I was rooting for the Stars cause of Gardner being affiliated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->