Stars 2018 Draft Review

Tom HFNHL Stars

Jan 30, 2014
Port McNeill
The NHL draft is about to begin. Stars GM will review the Stars selections after the NHL draft.

Predictions: Dahlin is 1st overall. (no Sh$t sherlock).
I am a Canucks fan so Adam Boqvist goes 7th overall. Boqvist is a bust and sigh.. my pain doubles.
Denisenko goes in the 1st round even though he is signed for 2 seasons in Russia.
Jacob Ollofsson has an outside chance drafted in the 1st round.

Tom HFNHL Stars

Jan 30, 2014
Port McNeill
First round over..some bragging is necessary before my draft review.
Rasmus Dahlin HFNHL 1 NHL 1
Adam Boqvist HFNHL 11 NHL 8 result +3
Grigori Denisenko HFNHL 32 NHL 15 result +17

So far STARS secured NHL picks ONE. EIGHT and FIFTEEN.....Stars rebuild just took THREE giant steps forward.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Tom HFNHL Stars

Jan 30, 2014
Port McNeill
QUOTE "I am a Canucks fan so Adam Boqvist goes 7th overall. Boqvist is a bust and sigh.. my pain doubles."

Thankfully in the REAL NHL DRAFT = Adam Boqvist WENT 8TH overall to the Black Hawks.....so this CANUCKS FAN no longer cares if BOQVIST is an NHL/HFNHL bust lol....

Tom HFNHL Stars

Jan 30, 2014
Port McNeill
The Stars had 9 picks at the 2018 NHL entry draft. Two first and 2 second round picks, and one pick in each of rounds 3 through 7. For GM Tom Baker the 2018 entry draft marked the first time the Dallas Stars have selected first overall. The Dallas Stars are still three to five seasons away from icing a competitive team in the HFNHL. This GM thinks the 2018 entry draft finally has the team pointed in the right direction. The Stars now boast blue chip prospects at each roster position, something this franchise has not had during my tenure as GM.

Rasmus Dahlin: Frölunda Hockey Club Swedish Hockey League
HFNHL 1/1
NHL Buffalo Sabres 1/1

What can you say, possibly the best defensive prospect selected in the last ten seasons. Played for Sweden at the 2018 Olympics, and the u20 WJC. Dahlin has the potential to enter the NHL next season as the Sabres number one defencemen. I can not recall any defenceman in history as an 18 year old to enter the NHL as a teams top D-man. Will change the face of the franchise. Enough said.

Adam Boqvist: Brynas J20, Superelit
HFNHL 1/11
NHL 1/8 Chicago Blackhawks

A dynamic offensive defenceman that can carry plays with the puck on his stick. A highly mobile and nimble skater that moves with fluidity, balance, and confidence. The Dallas Stars had concerns with Boqvist concussion issues, but his potential was too high to pass on him. Dallas Stars with their first 2 picks in the 2018 entry draft have rebuilt their defence. Boqvist is not likely to make the NHL next season. Stars are very happy with the pick.

RW Grigori Denisenko: Loko Yaroslavl, MHL
HFNHL 2/32
NHL 1/15 Florida Panthers

If we exclude the top five players in the 2018 rankings, probably no other player has the same raw talent as Grigori Denisenko among the draft eligible. An elusive stickhandler and finisher with soft hands and the accuracy of a sharpshooter. Under contract in the KHL for 2 more seasons so the Stars fans will have to wait a while to see Grigory in Dallas. A future top line winger in the NHL.

C Jacob Olofsson : Timra IK, Allsvenskan
HFNHL 2/41
NHL 2/56 Montreal

Big, strong, aggressive, tenacious and equally skilled with the puck on either his forehand or backhand, Olofsson can be used in any situation and has the ability to make slick plays near the net. Stars GM considers this a safe pick. Olofssons potential could land him a top six role in the NHL, but Stars project him as a solid third line center who will kill penalties and contribute with strong two way play.

Kevin Bahl; Ottawa 67's OHL
HFNHL 3/63
NHL 2/55 Phonix Coyotes

At 6-foot-6 and one of the biggest players in the OHL, he made life difficult on his opponents in the defensive end. You tried winning a one-on-one against him, likely not happening. Bahl was one of the premier shutdown defenders in the OHL. In his time in the Greater Toronto Hockey League, Bahl won four straight championships. He then won an OHL Cup championship. Then to polish off his mantle, he added a gold medal at the Ivan Hlinka for Team Canada in 2017. A steal in the HFNHL 3rd round.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
You got a lot of risers, and so won’t be surprised at all to see Miftakhov get selected next year. Lots of value based on what the NHL GMs think. Gambles too, of course, but the upside is tremendous. And of course Dahlin pays for all. A great leg up in the rebuild.

Reactions: Tom HFNHL Stars

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Very good draft, love the Denisenko pick. I also quite like Olofsson, even if he slipped in the NHL, which I find surprising. Toolsy forwards who produce against men aren't easy to find, and that's why he - and Hallander - stood out to me as good value players.

Reactions: Tom HFNHL Stars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad