Post-Game Talk: Stars 1 @ Panthers 3 - 22/2 - v 1.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Bob is a professional athlete. You have to believe he is not happy with his play. Watching film he has to see what he's doing that is allowing goals.

You don't get one of only 31 starting NHL goaltending jobs without being a competitor. Hopefully his ego will kick in and he will improve.
If that's the issue, where was his ego last year? Or where is it this year? If the issue could be solve by "pulling himself by the bootstrap" and watching some film he would have done so a while ago. I see no reason to question is compete level and willingness to play hard&care.
Something significant is off and hopefully it's something that can be rectify and improve.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
EVERY player can be better. Yet Vendetta only complains about Barky every single GDT. It's a stupid double standard and I can't believe some of you are actually defending him.
Agreed this is why I get annoyed as well. Every game we lost it’s because Barkov wasn’t good enough. Every single time. We’re not going to win every game and Barkov isn’t going to play to perfection every game. I love Duke but he can’t score for shit. And V has been kind of disappearing lately too.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed this is why I get annoyed as well. Every game we lost it’s because Barkov wasn’t good enough. Every single time. We’re not going to win every game and Barkov isn’t going to play to perfection every game. I love Duke but he can’t score for shit. And V has been kind of disappearing lately too.

Surprised he had 0 shots today.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
This is a good team: Hornqvist might have been the missing piece. Separating Huby and Barkov was a brilliant idea, even if it is part of the reason we couldn’t re sign Hoff (we needed Duclair, Wenny and Verh for this to work)

My guy Luo2 did not look good: I wish we had another center so we could give him a rest!

Reactions: scholl

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Me too. He’s not playing bad and neither is Duke. It’s just hard for them to be consistently good with top competition against them.
They’re tweeners: I like Vatrano’s north-south game and play without the puck; there’s a reason why he is sometimes on the PK.

Duclair is just...unlucky: so many beautiful chances that he partially makes that he doesn’t convert!

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Can I post that it is now been three of his past four games that Judge has started, he's allowed a baby-poo soft goal?

Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Randy Moller bringing up the same thing I saw a lot being posted about here over the weekend. It's 2021 and the NHL still doesn't have technologies to fix Ice patches other than a hockey puck. Watching them do that feels like living in the 1800s when they had to wash clothes by hand.

They fix the ice patches with the puck because it works. If you're afraid to get down on your hands and knees and get a little dirty, then you're in the wrong business. Working in the arena you just stay Perma cold.

Ekblad could score 20 one day

Is that 8pts now for Weegs?
He has been bad but when he's on, it's fun to watch.

The defense is heating up with offense of late.
Need a PP goal from Barky here.

I find he thinks he's the best player on the ice when he plays. He goes 100 all the time. I'm almost getting to think that's how someone has to play to be successful with Ek. Makes a great match.. But when Weegs fails, he fails hard.

Forsling kinda reminds me of 2015 Matheson.

Really nice tools.

Thought this thread would be littered with Fors love. The guy played awesome!

We will see Bob in the B2B for sure. I would think next game.

I would like to see that, but I feel that Q is still going to ride the hot hand in the first game.
I would start him in the first game personally. I'm all about getting both of these goalies going at the same time. That's champion level stuff right there.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
If that's the issue, where was his ego last year? Or where is it this year? If the issue could be solve by "pulling himself by the bootstrap" and watching some film he would have done so a while ago. I see no reason to question is compete level and willingness to play hard&care.
Something significant is off and hopefully it's something that can be rectify and improve.

of course he cannot do it by himself and it doesn't happen overnight. The issue should have been handled in summer. There are three different type of coaches who can help. First of all, a goaltending coach who can see whether there was is something wrong with his work. Secondly, a mobility coach to find out whether there are any limitations in his body that restrict movements. Bob used to work together with the Finnish coach Sami Karjalainen who has background in martial arts. The goal was to help Bob in mobility issues and to prevent injuries. I don't know how the situation is now. Thirdly, a mental coach can help. Yesterday there was a story in the local newspaper about defenseman Joonas Lyytinen, who was struggling but with the help of a mental coach has been able to play at his talent level and to become one of the best players in the Finnish league. He argues in that interview that mental side guides everything what body does and how it reacts. Concentrating on that has given his confidence. It has enabled him to do things that he can do and it happens automatically. He also stated that normally hockey players concentrate on squats and bench press in summer training but not much on training the head. Last season was a disappointment for Bob. So maybe they tried to deal with this issue in summer time but didn't succeed. It's not easy to deal with performance related issues when you are a Vezina winner and think that you can dominate in the rink.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Nice to see some Stockholm on Gothenburg action. Go get 'em!

Barkov actually seemed to appreciate that ENG, instead of his usual ambivalent shame. They were on the ice well over a minute and a half after his icing and pretty much contained Dallas' 6-on-5 with Heiskanen, Klingberg, Pavelski et al. Allowing a goal there would have been a huge blow after the dominant second period and Khudobin's butt save, so riding it out was quite the character win.

I wonder if Forsling is actually ready to bloom into a regular NHL player. He was very promising as a junior in the SHL, but I guess he didn't grow quickly enough for the Blackhawks. Hopefully playing next to Gudas or Strålman is an environment that allows him to take that step for good.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
The good:
- Best 2nd period I have ever seen. Impressive win, great effort by everybody and very disciplined defensive play.
- Weegs with some great rushes, Ek a powerhouse
- Strals looked a bit scary in the first, but settled down nicely in the 2nd
- Huby with some great bord work (Jags really made wonders with this kid, so much fun to watch him do his thing)
- D scoring is great and consistent, always a threat
- Connelly looking strong IMO, very reliable and creating things. Like him over Tippett so far, a bit of a waste on the 4th line when OT plays
- we were good in FOs for once, even with Barky just having an average night on the dot
- I like Luosto's defensive game very much. The stick always in the right place, never behind on the play. Would be nice if it translated more on the offensive side of the game
- CD was there when we needed him. The goal was bad, but it was just 1

The bad:
- Attackers not scoring. We are lucky to have Dmen that score on a regular basis or manage to pitch in from time to time. Duke very unlucky today, him and Swaggy having trouble creating on a constant basis. Franky V had a nice game but also needs to many chances

The ugly:
Bob of course. We always need to bash somebody to keep the agendas going. So since nobody else gives us a real reason we can stick with the sure bet

Reactions: ShootIt

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
+Forsling looked good, great skater like Matheson. Now it's all about being consistent unlike Math who also looked great at times. Doesn't seem to have much offensive ability though, which is a shame.
+Hinostroza had a good game, made some plays
+Judge gave a tough rebound which he couldn't track. But once again shut the door after giving up one and made the saves when needed. Solid once again.

Not any real negatives but Verhaege has cooled down with sixth straight game without a goal and doesn't seem as explosive as before, maybe hurting? That line is still creating though, too bad Duclair is also struggling to score. If they can get hot at the same time, watch out. Also Luostarinen didn't have his best game, solid effort though.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Bob is a professional athlete. You have to believe he is not happy with his play. Watching film he has to see what he's doing that is allowing goals.

You don't get one of only 31 starting NHL goaltending jobs without being a competitor. Hopefully his ego will kick in and he will improve.
I'm 100% convinced the issues with Bob are mental. Just watch his body language after giving up a goal or between faceoffs. He screams a lack of confidence right now.

I personally think Bob has put a lot of pressure on himself to perform on this $10 Million deal. I don't think he's a Vezina winner at this stage but I also don't think he's nearly as bad as he's been playing in Florida.

The mistakes he makes too, they're mental. If he can just get back to his game I think he will be just fine.

Reactions: Vilam

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Driedger has given up bad goals just like Bob, the difference in those 3 games is that Driedger essentially shut the door afterwards. The bad goals in Detroit and last night were the only ones he surrendered, and in Tampa it was a 4-2 goal, where he allowed 2 more after that but held on.

Goaltenders are going to give up bad goals, it happens to literally the best of them. Hockey is weird like that. But it all comes down to how you recover. In that aspect, Driedger has the advantage over Bob right now.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
The good:
- Best 2nd period I have ever seen. Impressive win, great effort by everybody and very disciplined defensive play.
- Weegs with some great rushes, Ek a powerhouse
- Strals looked a bit scary in the first, but settled down nicely in the 2nd
- Huby with some great bord work (Jags really made wonders with this kid, so much fun to watch him do his thing)
- D scoring is great and consistent, always a threat
- Connelly looking strong IMO, very reliable and creating things. Like him over Tippett so far, a bit of a waste on the 4th line when OT plays
- we were good in FOs for once, even with Barky just having an average night on the dot
- I like Luosto's defensive game very much. The stick always in the right place, never behind on the play. Would be nice if it translated more on the offensive side of the game
- CD was there when we needed him. The goal was bad, but it was just 1

The bad:
- Attackers not scoring. We are lucky to have Dmen that score on a regular basis or manage to pitch in from time to time. Duke very unlucky today, him and Swaggy having trouble creating on a constant basis. Franky V had a nice game but also needs to many chances

The ugly:
Bob of course. We always need to bash somebody to keep the agendas going. So since nobody else gives us a real reason we can stick with the sure bet

Wait...criticizing Bob is an agenda?

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Looking at the numbers, the fourth line was surprisingly productive. I recall one moment when Lomberg had the puck a bit awkwardly but gathered it really quickly to get a shot off, which was a nice example of them having an attacking mindset. The key to that second period is surely to have all four lines relentlessly attacking and it's nice to see that we have players who can do that. There was an obvious strategy in the off-season to improve the depth of the team to better fit Q's desire to roll all lines, and it's neat to see how that looks on the ice when it really works.it i

It will be very interesting to see if it is repeatable in the next two games, or if Dallas can either push back or slow us down.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
+Forsling looked good, great skater like Matheson. Now it's all about being consistent unlike Math who also looked great at times. Doesn't seem to have much offensive ability though, which is a shame.
+Hinostroza had a good game, made some plays
+Judge gave a tough rebound which he couldn't track. But once again shut the door after giving up one and made the saves when needed. Solid once again.

Not any real negatives but Verhaege has cooled down with sixth straight game without a goal and doesn't seem as explosive as before, maybe hurting? That line is still creating though, too bad Duclair is also struggling to score. If they can get hot at the same time, watch out. Also Luostarinen didn't have his best game, solid effort though.
One thing not to underestimate is that many of these young guys like Ver and Luo and even Duke may not have a full season stamina yet. Barky had that issue in the first playoffs. It takes a while to get there.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Imagine living in 2021 and being a Bob defender. Feels like some people are in an abusive relationship. "He'll change! I know he has a good heart! Just give him time!" *gets punched in the face*

Reactions: austropanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad