Starfield - Bethesda Softworks - Release Date - Sep 6th 2023

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I’ve already seen speculation it will get delayed, but the fact they gave it an official date makes me think it’s closer to finished and they may be getting extra polish time. Intrigued by this.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm curious to see if they will manage to address some of the most glaring weaknesses of their style of game, or whether the challenge of implementing a completely new IP in a new setting will take up most of their focus.

One fairly obvious weakness (shallow NPCs and conversations) may be solved by the setting itself, if the implication is that you will be exploring a lot of relatively desolate areas.

Another is the relatively lack of impact of the player's actions on the game world.

It's a challenge to implement because of the radial nature of a lot of the quests, but it was always a bit disappointing to hear the guard talk about your sweet roll after you slew Alduin and won the Skyrim Civil War.

I think a lot of games focus on the quests and completion where I would really try to put an emphasis on the post-quest result.

One of my favourite memories of early PC gaming was the kill board in Wing Commander. It always changed after every mission, even the numbers for the other pilots, and it gave you the impression that you were part of an ever-changing world that goes on without you.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
One of my favourite memories of early PC gaming was the kill board in Wing Commander. It always changed after every mission, even the numbers for the other pilots, and it gave you the impression that you were part of an ever-changing world that goes on without you.

322356-wing-commander-dos-screenshot-the-chalk-board-that-records.png

I think that I know which of those names is the player's character. I remember that you started at the bottom of the board and it took only half of the game for you to rocket to the top and leave everyone else in the dust because you were scoring 5 or 6 kills per mission while the other pilots were managing only 1 or 2. I remember it feeling like quite the sense of accomplishment and it was such a tiny part of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: RattsSSV and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
322356-wing-commander-dos-screenshot-the-chalk-board-that-records.png

I think that I know which of those names is the player's character. I remember that you started at the bottom of the board and it took only half of the game for you to rocket to the top and leave everyone else in the dust because you were scoring 5 or 6 kills per mission while the other pilots were managing only 1 or 2. I remember it feeling like quite the sense of accomplishment and it was such a small thing.

Bossman
Iceman
PC
Hunter
Paladin
Maniac
Spirit
Angel
Knight

You only flew with Maniac if you failed a mission, which was sort of funny.

Iceman was the best pilot (aside from you) and was Canadian which was sort of cool.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

‘Starfield’: Todd Howard discusses Bethesda’s new space-based RPG | Washington Post

Starfield is a 'bit more hardcore' than previous Bethesda RPGs, says Todd Howard | PC Gamer

Todd Howard has said that it's "like Skyrim in space," but I'm curious if that means that it'll simply be like The Outer Worlds (which was "Fallout: New Vegas in space") or if it'll also be a bit like No Man's Sky, which is sort of the vibe that I got from the teaser trailer. If you could marry the two (i.e. fly between planets in your personal spacecraft, then land on one in the middle of nowhere or dock in a city port and have a traditional RPG experience on foot), that could be an epic game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The walking robot appears fairly prominent in all content thus far - I wonder if you can manipulate him remotely on planets with dangerous conditions or whether he's some kind of companion.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
As long as they keep everything open to modders like they did with Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 I’m confident this will be an incredible game. Even if it’s the modders that ultimately deliver that result.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No it’s Xbox / PC exclusive.
and unlike most X-Box games for the next 2 years, apparently Series S and Series X exclusive. I feel it's the first really big Microsoft game that will be 9th generation exclusive as I believe Forza Horizon 4, and Halo Infinite are Cross-gen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wow I just bought a PS5 and those are some of my favorite games.

I don't mean to make you feel worse, but Microsoft bought Bethesda last Fall and exclusivity for those franchises has been widely speculated and discussed since then.

That said, there could be a glimmer of hope. Whether the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are exclusive may depend on what happens with Starfield. If it doesn't sell well enough or Microsoft gets greedy, they could order a PS5 port to be released the following year. If so and if that does well, they could do a limited-time exclusivity for ES/FO, as well. Then again, they've never been greedy enough to allow Halo to be ported to PS, so it may be futile to hope for such a thing. Start saving up for an Xbox! At least you have quite a while.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I don't mean to make you feel worse, but Microsoft bought Bethesda last Fall and exclusivity for those franchises has been widely speculated and discussed since then.

That said, there could be a glimmer of hope. Whether the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are exclusive may depend on what happens with Starfield. If it doesn't sell well enough or Microsoft gets greedy, they could order a PS5 port to be released the following year. If so and if that does well, they could do a limited-time exclusivity for ES/FO, as well. Then again, they've never been greedy enough to allow Halo to be ported to PS, so it may be futile to hope for such a thing. Start saving up for an Xbox! At least you have quite a while.

ha ha no it’s okay I missed the news on that. The bright side both those games won’t be out for at least another year if not more so it will be a future me problem.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I dont think Microsoft will port their AAA exclusive games to other platforms. They care about one thing and one thing only: Gamepass. They’re buttressing their lineup with content that you wont get when Sony, Amazon and everybody else inevitably make their own ‘Netflix of Games’ subscription service plays.

Only way Microsoft Games show up on Playstation is if Sony allows Gamepass on their platform.

Reactions: Jussi

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm guessing that the release date will stick, I think Microsoft isn't going to allow it's first big time release by Bethesda to be its usual buggy mess

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I dont think Microsoft will port their AAA exclusive games to other platforms. They care about one thing and one thing only: Gamepass. They’re buttressing their lineup with content that you wont get when Sony, Amazon and everybody else inevitably make their own ‘Netflix of Games’ subscription service plays.

Only way Microsoft Games show up on Playstation is if Sony allows Gamepass on their platform.
And there is a better chance of Sony releasing Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok day of on X-Box than that happening. It would cripple the PSN store and PS Now, which are two massive sources of revenue for them.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I like how the trailer is basically showing off that you can climb ladders now, lol. It looks extremely good and I'm pretty sure its not pre-rendered, though I could be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->