Movies: Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi, for those who have seen it! (SPOILERS) | Part II

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Last edited by a moderator:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

swedish_chef.jpg

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Well he did direct the film.
I never said your post was off topic.

But you seem particularly interested that the director of this specific film has a Twitter account where he has an opinion about a group of people who shouldn't even include you.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I watched Last Jedi this past week on Netflix. I still enjoyed it. Everyone's character arcs were compelling to me, and I enjoyed some of the odd visuals throughout, even the sea cow thing.

I really do need to go back and watch Rian Johnsons other work. I've seen Looper, but that's it.

Reactions: Andy

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I never said your post was off topic.

But you seem particularly interested that the director of this specific film has a Twitter account where he has an opinion about a group of people who shouldn't even include you.

Well I am particularly interested in this director and his opinions about his Star Wars movie. It is an interesting topic.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Well I am particularly interested in this director and his opinions about his Star Wars movie. It is an interesting topic.
And why are you interested in him and that specific tweet? What is the purpose of bringing it up and following it with a "chef's kiss" image?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
And why are you interested in him and that specific tweet? What is the purpose of bringing it up and following it with a "chef's kiss" image?

Because him citing Gamergate as a reason for his poorly received Star Wars film is equal parts humorous and predictable.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Because him citing Gamergate as a reason for his poorly received Star Wars film is equal parts humorous and predictable.

Take off your "I hate Rian Johnson" goggles for a second and go educate yourself as to what the Tweet he responded to is actually talking about.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If the community was really toxic, misogynistic and racist as is implied in these articles, that backlash would have happened with TFA. It had every reasons to happen with TFA since the 2 leads were a black man and a woman. Yet..... TFA destroyed the box office, and the ratings on rotten tomatoes are great. Isn't it peculiar that the "toxic" star wars community had no problem with TFA ? The same toxic community which had no problems with the wasp, black panther or with the rest of the MCU ?

And now today, a bunch of people are pointing the fingers at these awful internet trolls as the reason why TLJ's ratings bombed on rotten tomatoes, why it did not do as much as expected at the box office, why solo bombed and lost 80M and Rian Johnson is attacking fans all over the place in some desperate effort to save his trilogy. But the toxic community is truly the culprit here. Yes sir. :sarcasm:

Sad thing is that people are actually buying this.

Reactions: BlueMcGreen

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the community was really toxic, misogynistic and racist as is implied in these articles, that backlash would have happened with TFA. It had every reasons to happen with TFA since the 2 leads were a black man and a woman. Yet..... TFA destroyed the box office, and the ratings on rotten tomatoes are great. Isn't it peculiar that the "toxic" star wars community had no problem with TFA ? The same toxic community which had no problems with the wasp, black panther or with the rest of the MCU ?

And now today, a bunch of people are pointing the fingers at these awful internet trolls as the reason why TLJ's ratings bombed on rotten tomatoes, why it did not do as much as expected at the box office, why solo bombed and lost 80M and Rian Johnson is attacking fans all over the place in some desperate effort to save his trilogy. But the toxic community is truly the culprit here. Yes sir. :sarcasm:

I have no clue what ethnicity the director is because I care about what I see on the screen not who put it there, the movie straight up was a disappointment in my eyes.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

That wasn't the point of the article or his tweet.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have no clue what ethnicity the director is because I care about what I see on the screen not who put it there, the movie straight up was a disappointment in my eyes.

I find black directors/producers/creators do 'social justice' way, waaaaaay better than their white counterparts. Thats why a black guy wrote and directed the best movie of 2017 and white guys made a Ghostbusters reboot and The Last Jedi.

Anyway, the usual suspects of white, male, SJW try hards on Twitter focus on angry fanboys pissing and moaning about Luke Skywalker's arc because thats really the only defence of the movie.....that some people who hate it are immature.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

If hating Luke's portrayal in TLJ stems from a misunderstanding of the character, doesn't that suggest that Mark Hamill doesn't understand his own character as well as this guy does? It's interesting the reasons that some people come up with for why others don't like the film.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The community is toxic, although I wouldn’t say as a whole misogynistic and racist, though there are plenty of examples of that too. There are enough examples of pre-Disney stuff to back that up. Some of them involving white male actors.

As for the TFA not creating the same kind of reaction, I do remember reading some of those things though they weren’t as fervent. We don’t want to get into politics too much on this thread. There’s a certain event that occurred in 2016 that’s emboldened all types of hateful people to become more vocal. That’s all I’ll say.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

I agree with his interpretation of the climactic battle in RotJ. But his rebuttal validates another criticism levied against Luke's portrayal in TLJ, specifically the one that irked Mark Hamil: the drastic jump in Luke's character from the end of RotJ to TLJ.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I agree with his interpretation of the climactic battle in RotJ. But his rebuttal validates another criticism levied against Luke's portrayal in TLJ, specifically the one that irked Mark Hamil: the drastic jump in Luke's character from the end of RotJ to TLJ.

It was 30 f***ing years. The criticism has never had much to it.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Jonathan McIntosh.........now that is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Wished it stayed that way as well.

Tried to watch it again on Netflix to see if my opinion changed. I think both the positive and negative qualities shone brighter than ever, some legitimately great looking scenes and interesting story points hampered by bad pacing, cringe-worthy dialogue (a Star Wars staple, to be fair) and distracting humor. There's this feeling I have where both its boldest detractors and supporters are highly influenced by the Star Wars name, for it does not feel any smarter/dumber or funner than your average summer popcorn throwaway. :dunno:

Unfortunately, I did not quite make it to the final buzzer. That Rose and Finn moment on Crait continues to make me uncomfortable in its sheer awfulness, and I couldn't get myself to pick it up from there. :surrender

4.5 or 5/10. Better than Rogue One, PM and AOTC, haven't seen Solo yet though.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
How much do you think a person can change in three decades?

Do you not at all think it is possible for people to have wildly different predictors of how a character can turn out after such a time, especially when there is an almost endless number of possible things that could happen to said character in that span?

Reactions: Tawnos

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
How much do you think a person can change in three decades?

Do you not at all think it is possible for people to have wildly different predictors of how a character can turn out after such a time, especially when there is an almost endless number of possible things that could happen to said character in that span?

Exactly. Particularly when there are dramatic events in that person’s life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->