Star Wars: Squadrons (XB1/PS4/PC) - Oct 2, 2020

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I played the single player for about an hour so far, it's a lot of fun and I think there's enough depth to keep online play interesting.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Ah screw it, preloading it now. If it has problems I'll just refund it...

(honestly I'm just looking for an excuse not to work overtime tomorrow :laugh:)

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I think I need to start looking into a decent gaming rig (although my laptop might be enough) and a gaming VR set. This game looks super fun VR and I've definitely wanted to play Half Life: Alyx

Reactions: GreytWun

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I think I need to start looking into a decent gaming rig (although my laptop might be enough) and a gaming VR set. This game looks super fun VR and I've definitely wanted to play Half Life: Alyx

If you are looking for a VR headset I would suggest you look into the HP Reverb G2 as long as it fits your budget. I believe when it releases it will be the best headset on the market. Visually from what I have seen and colours and clarity every game looks phenomenal. The Quest 2 just released which you can grab for a budget headset and if half the price.

there is videos on YouTube of people playing this in VR and it looks fantastic.

Half Life Alyx is the game of the year for me. Hands down the best experience I’ve had in a very long time playing a video game. The visuals are incredible it really blew my mind.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Bought it for PS4 and not my PC. I envision me getting pissed off with all the PC multiplayer hackers that plague every other game.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
how are ppl liking it? is it easy to get used too? i don't have all the time in the world to become really good and games like this.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
how are ppl liking it? is it easy to get used too? i don't have all the time in the world to become really good and games like this.

I've been enjoying the single player so far. I don't think it's that hard to learn, but how are you going to play it? I think if you're doing controller you'll be fine, mouse and keyboard might need some setting adjustments but I have no idea...

(HOTAS user experience incoming)

Okay, so, I will commend the game for having HOTAS support, in fact you can select which input is what, and it's clear what you have selected. And aside from a slight problem with my throttle, it flies pretty well on default sensitivity and deadzone for me(your mileage will probably vary). I also appreciate some of the gameplay options in the menu(like for example, you can select if lowering the throttle ends boosting). There also is wide variety of options for controller inputs themselves(for example, you can have a button do max weapon power by itself, or you can use the default where if you hold the button it goes max). Also, you can clear a button if you want to. Again, appreciate it.

All these options of course you need to figure out, and obviously the game devs do not have access to all the HOTAS setups, and a lot of it will be up to personal preference. But here are my biggest gripes:

1) The campaign is essentially a big tutorial. As you play the game will stop and tell you how to do something with the specific button input. Now, this is okay if you're keyboard or controller. And you can change it later if you want. But here's the problem with HOTAs-because the game devs don't know all the joysticks/throttles in the world, they just select whatever buttons as the defaults. But you're probably going to change a few of them right away to suit your preference.

The problem is this: If you do NOT have one of the tutorial inputs filled in the config, the tutorial will come up like usual, stopping the game. But what happens is that instead the message says basically: 'You do not have some of the inputs configured, please set it and start from last checkpoint.' IT DOESN'T TELL YOU WHAT THE NAME OF THE SPECIFIC INPUT IS. UGH. You can take a guess by what the characters are chatting about before the pause, but sheesh. (And again, there are multiple optional inputs for the similar/same things, but if you don't have the specific tutorial input the message will come up)

2) I want to use keyboard too. Now you can use the keyboard as well. But my problem above wouldn't happen if it would show the default keyboard key instead. But it switches all the onscreen button indicators when you input on whatever, it's mutually exclusive. If you press a key on the keyboard all onscreen prompts switch to keyboard, but you start using the HOTAS it becomes HOTAS inputs on display. I just wish the option for both was there instead. If it is there please tell me, I might have missed it. :laugh:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Anyone play the multiplayer? I've watched some videos and sometimes the multiplayer looks awesome and sometimes it looks terribly boring. Seems like the type of game where you need to find a real good group of people to have fun online.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Anyone play the multiplayer? I've watched some videos and sometimes the multiplayer looks awesome and sometimes it looks terribly boring. Seems like the type of game where you need to find a real good group of people to have fun online.

I wouldn't play it without some friends.

It is really fun with a group. You do get a lot of games where you crush the opposing team or they crush you, because there's a wide skill gap and teamwork is extremely important.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Tips on practicing against the AI?

I've chosen to run with support as I feel I would be absolutely useless as a DPS player. I've done well in a support role in other games and its what I feel comfortable with.
Whenever I try a game of Fleet Battles, I don't know how to progress. My cpu teammates don't seem to go past a certain stage. At one point when I looked at the mini map, all but one teammate was bunched together nowhere near an objective and the other guy was nearly off the screen doing god knows what. I don't know if I'm supposed to trigger something to advance our progress or what.
I get the gist of healing teammates and what not but wasn't sure on how exactly I should go about it. Do I stay back out of the battle? Do I follow teammates and help out when needed?
My setup is as follows...
Ion Cannon
Supply Droid
Tactical Shield
Particle Burst
Reinforced Hull
Standard Deflector
Propulsion Engine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad