Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI December 15, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To be fair, we have no idea how extensive the rewrites are. If they're completely scrapping Trevorrow's script it could definitely be cause for concern (or not depending on your opinion of Trevorrow). If he's just there to punch up the script or rewrite certain parts of it it might not be that bad.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
To be fair, we have no idea how extensive the rewrites are. If they're completely scrapping Trevorrow's script it could definitely be cause for concern (or not depending on your opinion of Trevorrow). If he's just there to punch up the script or rewrite certain parts of it it might not be that bad.

I'm not saying it's certainly a disaster waiting to happen. I just think the move itself shows really poor decision making. Was he really the best they could do? Really?

I was willing to give Trevorrow the benefit of the doubt. But this move just...it bothers me.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not saying it's certainly a disaster waiting to happen. I just think the move itself shows really poor decision making. Was he really the best they could do? Really?

I was willing to give Trevorrow the benefit of the doubt. But this move just...it bothers me.

I've had my doubts about Trevorrow from the beginning. Jurassic World, while a fun ride, was not a good movie. So I wouldn't be shocked if Disney is getting cold feet with him. Although to be honest, it seems like only TFA and TLJ are the only two films so far that have been relatively drama free, so maybe there's something going on at the top that needs to be addressed. It does feel like Disney/Lucasfilm don't quite know what they want with some of these projects.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I think the problem is that they know exactly what they want. Safe money. Return on investment. And anyone who veers outside the business model gets squashed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the problem is that they know exactly what they want. Safe money. Return on investment. And anyone who veers outside the business model gets squashed.

Trevorrow isn't exactly the type to veer outside though. Jurassic World was basically as by-the-book as you can get for a blockbuster. If anything Johnson would be the one to veer.

So it's concerning when Trevorrow's treatment gets rewritten, because you know it's not due to him being too creative.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The worst thing about Jurassic World was the characters, so I don't think bringing in somebody for Episode IX who is better at writing characters is necessarily a bad thing. Although I'm not really familiar with the new writers work, so maybe it's not that much better.

I'd rather they figure this stuff out now though rather than having the Han Solo movie situation in the middle of production.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Didn't go back to see if this was posted, but here is one of the new species in the movie.

qveswdcijpyhtopy0jpb.jpg

[spoil]Entertainment Weekly revealed that a new race of aliens referred to as the Caretakers will join Luke Skywalker (and the Porgs) as residents of Ahch-To. That’s them above.

“They’re kind of these sort of fish-bird type aliens who live on the island,” writer-director Rian Johnson told EW. “They’ve been there for thousands of years, and they essentially keep up the structures on the island.”

“They’re all female, and I wanted them to feel like a remote sort of little nunnery,” Johnson continued. “Neal Scanlan’s crew designed them, and costume designer Michael Kaplan made these working clothes that also reflected sort of a nun-like, spartan sort of existence.”

The director also revealed that, unlike the Porgs, the Caretakers speak, and are not exactly happy that Luke Skywalker has been living on their island. They tolerate him, though.[/spoil]

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Didn't go back to see if this was posted, but here is one of the new species in the movie.

qveswdcijpyhtopy0jpb.jpg

[spoil]Entertainment Weekly revealed that a new race of aliens referred to as the Caretakers will join Luke Skywalker (and the Porgs) as residents of Ahch-To. That’s them above.

“They’re kind of these sort of fish-bird type aliens who live on the island,†writer-director Rian Johnson told EW. “They’ve been there for thousands of years, and they essentially keep up the structures on the island.â€Â

“They’re all female, and I wanted them to feel like a remote sort of little nunnery,†Johnson continued. “Neal Scanlan’s crew designed them, and costume designer Michael Kaplan made these working clothes that also reflected sort of a nun-like, spartan sort of existence.â€Â

The director also revealed that, unlike the Porgs, the Caretakers speak, and are not exactly happy that Luke Skywalker has been living on their island. They tolerate him, though.[/spoil]

Hope they have a baby.

hqdefault.jpg

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The Title To This Movie Is Misleading. No Way There's A Last Jedi.

Yoda" "Always two, there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice."
"But which one was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?"

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Title To This Movie Is Misleading. No Way There's A Last Jedi.

Yoda" "Always two, there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice."
"But which one was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?"

Yoda had a very flawed view of the galaxy as it was, but he was talking about the Sith there.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Maybe they run with Johnson for two movies instead of just TLJ?

That seems plausible, based on the timing. At this point, Ep8 is basically finished, so Disney has seen an almost final cut of it. They may really like the job that Johnson has done with it and want to stick with him. There could also be the fear that he'll be in hot demand and that, if they don't come to agreement with him sooner, he might eventually be too busy for Ep9. Perhaps, also, in the back of their heads, they're thinking about how, in hindsight, Kirschner should have been kept on to direct the final episode of the original trilogy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sweet. I was willing to give Trevorrow the benefit of the doubt that he'd do his best and put out his best movie yet but after the reviews from his last film I...I fantasized that this would happen.

Hope the replacement is solid. Hell, if TLJ is a good movie I'd be down for Rian again.

EDIT: "Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon," read a Lucasfilm statement.

Shocker

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would be absolutely shocked if they choose anyone but Rian Johnson for episode 9

Lucasfilm is supposed to start filming for 9 in January.

They'll probably get Rian to start re-writing the script after he is done editing TLJ, and they will push the filming a bit, and the May release will be pushed to December again

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I would be absolutely shocked if they choose anyone but Rian Johnson for episode 9

Lucasfilm is supposed to start filming for 9 in January.

They'll probably get Rian to start re-writing the script after he is done editing TLJ, and they will push the filming a bit, and the May release will be pushed to December again

Star Wars should always have a December release. I love making it a Christmas tradition.

If they name Rian the replacement quickly, that's a big vote of confidence for TLJ. Because the characters haven't developed at all, TLJ is basically a blank canvas, and Rian may as well finish out his intended arcs if everyone approves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->