Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath for it. JJ implied anyone who didn't like The Last Jedi was a racist and sexist.
giphy.gif

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sounds like anyone who didn't like The Last Jedi can't win.

Plenty of reasons to dislike The Last Jedi.

It "crapping over your childhood" isn't one of them. Most of the vocal critics of the movie on here want stuff like Luke talking on the walkers at the end and winning :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Could that brush you're painting with be any broader? It's not "anyone" who didn't like TLJ that can't win, it's the people who go over the top on their hatred of the film and jam it down people's throats, or resort to harassing people who were involved in the film on social media that can't, and shouldn't, win.

And yes, I know those people are not the majority of those who disliked the film. Most discussions I've had with those who disliked it have been completely civil. It's a vocal minority (on both extremes) that has created the toxicity in the fandom.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Plenty of reasons to dislike The Last Jedi.

It "crapping over your childhood" isn't one of them. Most of the vocal critics of the movie on here want stuff like Luke talking on the walkers at the end and winning :laugh:

Well if a movie ruined someone's childhood then that person must have had a real lousy time growing up.

My point is people like JJ and Kathleen Kennedy seem to be lumping in the legitimate criticisms of The Last Jedi with the views of the fringe vocal minority on social media.

Reactions: S E P H

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

No, it's just that it's been evident from the pre-hype that people built so much expectations on what they thought/speculated was going to happen and when none of it did, they were disappointed. That is the most ridiculous thing ever to be negative about a movie. Some people like to surprised by the events of a movie and not have it all laid out before on internet messageboards. As I've said numerous times before, it wasn't a perfect movie by any means, soem things could've been left out completely while others done differently, I liked it but didn't love it.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well if a movie ruined someone's childhood then that person must have had a real lousy time growing up.

My point is people like JJ and Kathleen Kennedy seem to be lumping in the legitimate criticisms of The Last Jedi with the views of the fringe vocal minority on social media.

They have to address the loudest voices, that means they need to address the lunatics.

They won't address real issues on social media, that's not what social media is for. Social media is for virtue signalling (on the left and the right)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Where? In what way?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No, it's just that it's been evident from the pre-hype that people built so much expectations on what they thought/speculated was going to happen and when none of it did, they were disappointed. That is the most ridiculous thing ever to be negative about a movie. Some people like to surprised by the events of a movie and not have it all laid out before on internet messageboards. As I've said numerous times before, it wasn't a perfect movie by any means, soem things could've been left out completely while others done differently, I liked it but didn't love it.

I'm not even sure it has to do with the pre-hype honestly.

People soured on TFA very quickly in terms of vocal opinions online, I think there is no escaping the fact that the vocal Star Wars fanbase is utterly and inescapably toxic.

That and people don't react well to not having their expectations met. Since we had an entire cottage industry dedicated to awful fan theories and TLJ essentially said "you neckbeards suck at writing good stories" the neckbeards revolted.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A very large portion of the fan base is upset with the direction of the franchise, and when you have so many people upset, you're going to have a contingent that is so angry that they're "toxic." It's wrong, though, to flip the narrative around and suggest that the toxicity of the fan base is why people don't appreciate the films. That's trying to make the conversation about something other than the films. It's using the vocal, toxic minority as an excuse to write off the greater upset in the fan base and not have to discuss the real issues with the films and the direction of the franchise that have caused that upset. It's too bad for the rest of us that that loud minority is giving Abrams, Johnson and other defenders of the films the excuse to disregard all complaints. We should all be ignoring the toxic minority because they're a distraction, but some are choosing not to ignore it because it's a convenient distraction.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Clearly wrong there. He should've just called them out for what they really are: stupid fanfiction obsessed nerds.

I've never been into Star Wars fan fiction. I've never touched the novels or TV series that most fans cite as part of the expanded universe and tend to not know what they're talking about when they reference things in them. I've never dressed up as a Star Wars character, worn Star Wars apparel or attended a convention, so I'm hardly a "nerd" about Star Wars, as well. If people who didn't like TLJ are "stupid fanfiction obsessed nerds," what's your explanation for the fact that I didn't like it?

I had no expectations for what I thought or wanted to happen in TLJ. I didn't even spend any time thinking about it after TFA, much like how I haven't thought at all about what might happen in Episode 9. If un-met expectations are the reason why people didn't like TLJ, how do you explain that I was disappointed?

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
A very large portion of the fan base is upset with the direction of the franchise, and when you have so many people upset, you're going to have a contingent that is so angry that they're "toxic." It's wrong, though, to flip the narrative around and suggest that the toxicity of the fan base is why people don't appreciate the films. That's trying to make the conversation about something other than the films. It's using the vocal, toxic minority as an excuse to write off the greater upset in the fan base and not have to discuss the real issues with the films and the direction of the franchise that have caused that upset. It's too bad for the rest of us that that loud minority is giving Abrams, Johnson and other defenders of the films the excuse to disregard all complaints. We should all be ignoring the toxic minority because they're a distraction, but some are choosing not to ignore it because it's a convenient distraction.
Again, where is this happening? I see this asserted but every time a tweet or quote is brought up it is specific to the "toxic minority" and not accusing all who are critical of the movie as being part of that group.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I've never been into Star Wars fan fiction. I've never touched the novels or TV series that most fans cite as part of the expanded universe and tend to not know what they're talking about when they reference things in them. I've never dressed up as a Star Wars character, worn Star Wars apparel or attended a convention, so I'm hardly a "nerd" about Star Wars, as well.

I had no expectations for what I thought or wanted to happen in TLJ. I didn't even spend any time thinking about it after TFA,
You just described 90% + of the people who go to see Star Wars movies.

A lot of the people who disregard criticisms of TLJ imply that all that criticism is just coming from crazed fanboys that didn't get what they want. In reality most people who didn't like the film have never seen a Star Wars cartoon or read a Star Wars book, don't know who Rian Johnson is, and are unaware there's a "backlash". They just know they watched a really boring movie that didn't make sense with what they know about Star Wars.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Bingo.

Reactions: Moon Man

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Again, where is this happening? I see this asserted but every time a tweet or quote is brought up it is specific to the "toxic minority" and not accusing all who are critical of the movie as being part of that group.

I just quoted two examples. There have been others. There's also the question of why people are are so adamant about discussing the toxic minority at all, instead of the larger, more reasonable set of complaints about the films. I think that some (but not all) treat the toxic minority as a convenient proxy for putting down all criticism. You can take all of the shots that you want at people who don't like the films; then, if called out, "explain" that you were referring only to the toxic minority. People do this a lot when it comes to politics, generalizing a party a particular way; then, if called out, walking it to back to "yeah, I meant only the extremists, but they're the most vocal, so I was justified, really... blah blah blah." Star Wars fandom is almost to the level of politics, though, so maybe it shouldn't be surprising.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I just quoted two examples. There have been others. There's also the question of why people are are so adamant about discussing the toxic minority at all, instead of the larger, more reasonable set of complaints about the films. I think that some (but not all) treat the toxic minority as a convenient proxy for putting down all criticism. You can take all of the shots that you want at people who don't like the films; then, if called out, "explain" that you were referring only to the toxic minority. People do this a lot when it comes to politics, generalizing a party a particular way; then, if called out, walking it to back to "yeah, I meant only the extremists, but they're the most vocal, so I was justified, really... blah blah blah." Star Wars fandom is almost to the level of politics, though, so maybe it shouldn't be surprising.
I'm talking about the people actually in charge of the film.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've never been into Star Wars fan fiction. I've never touched the novels or TV series that most fans cite as part of the expanded universe and tend to not know what they're talking about when they reference things in them. I've never dressed up as a Star Wars character, worn Star Wars apparel or attended a convention, so I'm hardly a "nerd" about Star Wars, as well. If people who didn't like TLJ are "stupid fanfiction obsessed nerds," what's your explanation for the fact that I didn't like it?

I had no expectations for what I thought or wanted to happen in TLJ. I didn't even spend any time thinking about it after TFA, much like how I haven't thought at all about what might happen in Episode 9. If un-met expectations are the reason why people didn't like TLJ, how do you explain that I was disappointed?

"It's not me, it's you"

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
This guy is hilarious.

I'm definitely not going to see this one. You'd have to pay me a pretty substantial amount just to get me to try and sleep in the theatre.

Edit: I agree with what he says in the video.

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I didn't like the last jedi.

Or force awakens....or the PT.

It is just a mediocre franchise

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I didn't like the last jedi.

Or force awakens....or the PT.

It is just a mediocre franchise

For a franchise that is so high profile and has so many movies, it certainly is is interesting that at least 4 movies are undeniably terrible (PT and Return of the Jedi).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->