Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If RJ doesn't pay you, he should.

Keep fighting the good fight. Really respect your determination and loyalty.
I forgot about the rule on this thread where this was going to be a "hate on new Star Wars" echo chamber with no positive commentary at all.

What a pointless post for you to make.

Reactions: HanSolo

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The problem is Luke in TFA is on a distant planet without any means for people to find him except for some map, either unaware or not caring while this new FO commits genocide and his former pupil murders his best friend in Han Solo. You HAVE to address that in some way, and with the way Abrams set that up it was likely for the movie to pick up right there. The trilogy doesn't have to occur during a long period of time or a short period of time. It has to occur in a long enough time to tell a good story and tell it well. This is an arbitrary rule you are assigning to Star Wars films.

You don't have to start VIII right where VII left off, Rey handing Luke the lightsaber was the iconic impact moment. If Luke wasn't going to be a dick, and Jedi training wasn't something you could simply accomplish in two nights, then it would be perfectly suitable to skip ahead an indeterminable period of time (like from ANH to ESB) and jump back in somewhere mid-training. As an example this sort of time gap is something George R.R. Martin does all the time chapter-chapter in ASoIF. We all know what Jedi training looks like by now, there'd be no need to rehash that.

My main point is though, like I said I love big lengthy epic books/series/movies/games/etc. While you can make anything work if done well, how many examples of these can you give that use such a condensed schedule? I mean just consider how many character arc's Fin has gone through in two movies, then realize that because of the literal time frames Johnson imposed on Star Wars this all happens over roughly 4-5 days. That's just not humanely possible.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You don't have to start VIII right where VII left off, Rey handing Luke the lightsaber was the iconic impact moment. If Luke wasn't going to be a dick, and Jedi training wasn't something you could simply accomplish in two nights, then it would be perfectly suitable to skip ahead an indeterminable period of time (like from ANH to ESB) and jump back in somewhere mid-training. As an example this sort of time gap is something George R.R. Martin does all the time chapter-chapter in ASoIF. We all know what Jedi training looks like by now, there'd be no need to rehash that.
I didn't say it had to be immediately after, I said it was a very likely place to start considering the circumstances with Luke being a recluse and nobody knowing why (and I don't think there is a great scenario in which Luke is just the Obi Wan mentor who also didn't care or didn't notice the death and destruction caused by Kylo Ren and the First Order).

I liked the subversion and the way it immediately undercuts the cliffhanger left by the previous movie, because it immediately presents us with a conflict and makes us think "oh something bad had to happen and I am curious to see what it is." It may not have worked for you or others, but it is a valid way to go about the story.

My main point is though, like I said I love big lengthy epic books/series/movies/games/etc. While you can make anything work if done well, how many examples of these can you give that use such a condensed schedule? I mean just consider how many character arc's Fin has gone through in two movies, then realize that because of the literal time frames Johnson imposed on Star Wars this all happens over roughly 4-5 days. That's just not humanely possible.
And that is fine if it doesn't work for you. Your opinion on whether or not a piece of entertainment resonates with you is perfectly valid. But it isn't a steadfast rule. That's all I'm arguing.

As far as Finn, young people can be very impressionable when put into incredibly stressful situations. I don't think his arc in TFA was all that substantial (especially since he wants to run away in the beginning of TLJ instead of fight back like he did at the end of TFA, and even with that arc he still is doing it for somewhat selfish reasons), and the second arc where he chooses to fight for unselfish reasons was one which began during the first movie and carried over. Do you consider his defection from the FO an arc? I don't particularly think that qualifies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'd also argue that New Hope benefits greatly from being the 1st and the power of nostalgia. If it were released today with the same level of scrutiny as other modern Star Wars movies get, it'd be hated like TLJ and Luke would be called a Mary Sue

First of all, that's a paradoxical argument. You're saying that, if the movie that started the franchise and defined what every later entry would be judged against had not been released until now, it would be hated. In other words, it would fail the test if it were judged against itself.

Also, the fact that a classic film wouldn't be appreciated nearly as much if released today isn't any argument against it. It's just a fact of filmmaking that film standards improve. If Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were released today, it would considered one of Disney's worst ever animated films. That fact means nothing and holds no value in any argument. ANH is 41 years old. Of course it would seem dated and stupid if released today. That's not an argument against it or a defense for any much newer films that are almost as stupid.

Finally, you imply that ANH has never gotten the same level of scrutiny as newer Star Wars films have. That's not true, IMO. It's been scrutinized for 41 years, which is much, much longer than TLJ's one year. Passing scrutiny shouldn't be confused for not being scrutinzed and TLJ failing scrutiny shouldn't be mistaken for being overly and unfairly scrutinized.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
First of all, that's a paradoxical argument. You're saying that, had the movie that started the franchise and defined what every later entry would be judged against not been released until now, it would be hated. In other words, it would fail the test if it were judged against itself.

Also, the fact that a classic film wouldn't be appreciated nearly as much if released today isn't any argument against it. It's just a fact of filmmaking that film standards improve. If Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were released today, it would considered one of Disney's worst ever animated films. That fact means nothing and holds no value in any argument. ANH is 41 years old. Of course it would seem dated and stupid if released today. That's not an argument against it or a defense for any much newer films that are almost as stupid.

Finally, you imply that ANH has never gotten the same level of scrutiny as newer Star Wars films have. That's not true, IMO. It's been scrutinized for 41 years, which is much, much longer than TLJ's one year. Passing scrutiny shouldn't be confused for not being scrutinzed and TLJ failing scrutiny shouldn't be mistaken for being overly and unfairly scrutinized.

Yeah completely unrealistic to simply ask what if Star Wars was created today. When Star Wars came out the competition for 'space fantasy' looked like this:

That's not to say it only succeeded because of amazing production values for the time, like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter it takes a little something extra to make it culturally significant. You're not going to find Alien or Blade Runner nerds like you would Star Wars.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
TLJ
AOTC
TFA
TPM
ROTJ
ROTS
ANH
ESB

giphy.gif

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Anyone have any ideas for the plot of this movie? TLJ left us at a weird point. The Resistance is almost down to nothing, and the First Order has lost a lot of manpower as well.

- Rey has the Jedi texts; maybe she studies and gets more knowledge on the force and discovers more abilities to use?

- Rose returns to Canto to free the children and discovers the force sensitive one.

- Maz helps Rey with force training.

- Chewbacca and the Porgs destroy an entire legion of storm troopers.

- Kylo gets visited by Vader’s ghost.

- Poe learns how to address Admirals by proper pronouns

- Captain Phasma is still alive and comes back to kill Finn and then is killed by Rey after she witnesses it. Finn in his last words confesses his love for Rey which gives her the last push to be the most powerful character.

It’ll be very interesting to see what JJ does with this film and how this all ends.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought I read somewhere that they have no specific plans with the broom kid but that he’s representative of the potential for youth.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
From my understanding is there will be a significant time jump, so I am guessing the resistance is actually worth a damn again and has recruited from all around the galaxy inspiring hope and whatnot. Not sure how they will show that in the first few minutes (as far as demonstrating how the galaxy has changed with regards to the resistance which was abandoned last movie), but I am sure there are plenty of options.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Anyone have any ideas for the plot of this movie? TLJ left us at a weird point. The Resistance is almost down to nothing, and the First Order has lost a lot of manpower as well.

- Rey has the Jedi texts; maybe she studies and gets more knowledge on the force and discovers more abilities to use?

- Rose returns to Canto to free the children and discovers the force sensitive one.

- Captain Phasma is still alive and comes back to kill Finn and then is killed by Rey after she witnesses it. Finn in his last words confesses his love for Rey which gives her the last push to be the most powerful character.

It’ll be very interesting to see what JJ does with this film and how this all ends.

The opening scene shows the kid levitating the broom. Suddenly we see a long shot of Kylo Ren leading a bunch of Storm Troopers into the barn. He walks up to the broom stick kid and then slaughters him.

We flash to another world and we see the Millenium Falcon wrapped around a tree, Leia is sitting in the cockpit with a shocked look on her face, her passenger a old Admiral Ackbar with a cigar clamped in his mouth comments about woman drivers.

Kylo learns force walking and walks back in time to see Anakin killing younglings. Anakin turns around and asks Ren who he is. When Ren states that he's Anakin's grandson, Anakin runs himself through with a light saber.

Rey finds a holocron and turns it on and finds out that its Palpatine's holocron, he teaches her a bunch of dirty tricks including pulling your opponents cloak over their head. The Force Wedge, and the "Look its Yoda" distraction.

The movie opens with Finn uttering the line "Its not you its me . . . no wait its actually you" then he does the charleston into a escape pod and blasts himself into space.

We see Luke the Force Ghost sitting on the Force toilet while yelling at Yoda that they're out of Force Toilet paper.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
AOTC
ROTS
TPH
TLJ

AOTC is uneven and yet I like a lot of the sequences for some reason - the Kamino bit, the big battle with the Jedi in the arena, the battle with the clones, the lightsaber battles between Kenobi/Skywalker/Dooku and Dooku/Yoda. I didn't mind the car chase through Coruscant.

The romance stuff is a bit bleh, but it's worse in RoTS when we get full on whining and bad acting Anakin - although I do like the Yoda/Emperor battle. The climactic battle is kind of hard to make out with all the CGI lava flying around and it finishes with the NOOOOOoooooooo which is kind of painful.

Phantom Menace is ok but I feel that a lot of them were still pretty wooden in their performances including Padme and Kenobi - I think they weren't quite as good at acting in front of the green screen. The CGI field battle with the robot army has not aged well and I'm not a fan of toddler Anakin destroying a space station. In fact, I'm not really a big fan of toddler Anakin at all. "Yipee!" Darth Maul offers some brief coolness.

The biggest flaw of the prequels is how badly Anakin was acted in all three films.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
AOTC
ROTS
TPH
TLJ

AOTC is uneven and yet I like a lot of the sequences for some reason - the Kamino bit, the big battle with the Jedi in the arena, the battle with the clones, the lightsaber battles between Kenobi/Skywalker/Dooku and Dooku/Yoda. I didn't mind the car chase through Coruscant.

Ewan and Ian were really the acting glue in the whole three movie series. They were both great. I liked a lot of parts of AOTC. But it was the dialogue and romance that were just so freaking awkward. It was too bad that face replacement CGI wasn't great at that point, because the one thing that Hayden was great at was the athletics of the duels. When he was carrying the two light sabers I did a little fist pump, but then they zoomed to facial closeups.

The romance stuff is a bit bleh, but it's worse in RoTS when we get full on whining and bad acting Anakin - although I do like the Yoda/Emperor battle. The climactic battle is kind of hard to make out with all the CGI lava flying around and it finishes with the NOOOOOoooooooo which is kind of painful.

I actually really liked ROTS, except for a couple of scenes between Padme and Anakin, like I said before, there was just no chemistry between the two. I did like both fights, Yoda and Sidious and Anakin and Obi-Wan. I loved the opening space battle scene, when the ships are flying through the battle there was so much small detail stuff going on that was amazing. But really the best part of ROTS was Palpatine pre change. The Opera House scene is one that I always have to watch a couple of times because Ian was just so good at being evil.

Phantom Menace is ok but I feel that a lot of them were still pretty wooden in their performances including Padme and Kenobi - I think they weren't quite as good at acting in front of the green screen. The CGI field battle with the robot army has not aged well and I'm not a fan of toddler Anakin destroying a space station. In fact, I'm not really a big fan of toddler Anakin at all. "Yipee!" Darth Maul offers some brief coolness.

The biggest flaw of the prequels is how badly Anakin was acted in all three films.

I think they were really afraid of a couple of things.

The Anakin as a slave just wasn't impactful because Watto was more like a kindly but crazy uncle then a slave owner. And they should have made Anakin older and embittered at being a slave.

But again the performances by Liam, Ewan and Ian were so good, especially the scene where Padme tells Palpatine that she's going home and when she leaves he has that little smirk on his face. The CGI was never going to age well, and Jar Jar was annoying, but at least in the end they made Jar Jar the ultimate dupe as he handed the power to Palpatine in AOTC that allowed the Grand Plan to destroy the Jedi to unfold.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
We doin another of these eh?

ESB
ANH

ROTJ
TFA
ROTS

TLJ

AOTC
TPM

IV and V remain very good films.

Return of the Jedi is iffy, but ultimately enjoyable. I debated Revenge of the Sith's vs. The Force Awakens, with the former having a more compelling story with grander stakes against the latter's better execution, and objectively I'd have go to with TFA........despite my reservations on its replay value.

TLJ is outstanding visually, but I cannot say I left the theater with any care in the world for these characters or factions. Rebels/Resistance are boring, while the First Order's ineptitude is the opposite of menacing at this point.

AOTC vs. TPM are both pretty terrible, but for different reasons. While both suffer from bad performances, AOTC has worse direction. TPM feels kind of useless for the most part. In the end, AOTC pisses me off more because it's one of the biggest wastes of potential ever put on screen, but at least it ain't useless.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014

STAR WARS

EPISODE IX

(insert title here)

WAR has once again returned to the galaxy. The shadow of the FIRST ORDER now stretches across much of what remains of the NEW REPUBLIC.

But not all hope is lost. As KYLO REN turns his sights inward to consolidate power, the remains of the New Republic's military now united with the tattered RESISTANCE leadership licks its wounds and seeks to strike back against the FIRST ORDER with the aid of new weapons and allies.

Even now General Leia Organa-Solo seeks an audience with the recently installed chancelor of the old Imperial Remnant Lando Calrissian. Her diplomatic overtures have not gone unnoticed and the Knight of REN have captured her ship. REY, now armed with new knowledge from the Jedi tomes rushes in vain to her aid...

(Cue Falcon dropping out of hyperspace just in time to see Leia's ship explode.)

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Not bad

How about

Star Wars
Episode IX
Darkness falls

War has engulfed the Galaxy and the sinister FIRST ORDER reigns triumphant. With the New Republic fleet and government destroyed the galaxy has willingly submitted to the vision of order promoted by Emperor Ren.

The Resistance has been driven into hiding, abandoned and alone they desparately try to inspire the galaxy to throw off the oppressive yoke of the First Order.

With Rey missing for years in search of Jedi knowledge that could turn defeat into victory, General Organa Solo has departed on a mission to rally support for her desparate and outmatched band of freedom fighters but has vanished.

General Poe and Commander Finn desparately search for the last hope of the Resistance.

Then they sprawl down and you see a shuttle come out of hyper space and they approach a gutted and dead Millenium Falcon.

The way I figure it, they need to do a few things.

No redemption for Ren, its been done before, Rey ends up killing them.

The major threat in the movie are the Knights of Ren, who are now like the inquisitors of Rebels and hounding the Resistance at every turn, and they have to be hard to kill

In the end Rey realizes that there can be no dark or light side users in the galaxy only her acting as the balance

We don't see Luke's force ghost until the end, and he doesn't interfere in any battles.

Leia gets a good death

Finn uses Rose as a human shield.

Hux and the first order betray Ren which leads to the downfall of the First Order.

No super weapons.

A major space battle that represents one last desperate throw of the dice for the Resistance, and they lose.

Lando doesn't betray the resistance but refuses to help, but later changes his mind and charges in last minute.

The Millenium Falcon doesn't survive.

A major character besides Leia dies like Chewie

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Have they?

TFA ended with the Rebels blowing up Empire's most powerful weapon ever but the next movie started out with "The Empire Reigns Supreme".

I don't think it is safe to assume that the ending of the last movie will have any bearing on the beginning of the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->