Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Of course it will.

Everything is polarizing for no reason these days and everyone thinks they are a storytelling expert.

I mean this trilogy went from "100% fanservice and not much else" to "hey let's shake this tree and see what happens" back to "hey nothing fell from the tree so.... 100% fanservice and retcon all the interesting stuff from TLJ!!".

I really liked both TFA and TLJ and they managed to piss me off with Disney's complete lack of ability to stick to something and instead trying to please everyone.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean this trilogy went from "100% fanservice and not much else" to "hey let's shake this tree and see what happens" back to "hey nothing fell from the tree so.... 100% fanservice and retcon all the interesting stuff from TLJ!!".

I really liked both TFA and TLJ and they managed to piss me off with Disney's complete lack of ability to stick to something and instead trying to please everyone.
What were the interesting things that you believe will be retconned?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Since I read the leaks I'll refrain from getting into it just yet. But I know you read the leaks so you know what I'm thinking about ;)
True, we can hold off on this until more of this board has seen the movie. I'm moreso curious from a POV of someone that likes TLJ how they'll feel about ROS and what they feel will retcons.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My guess is still that this film won't be that divisive, just a bunch of people won't really like it for different reasons.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
True, we can hold off on this until more of this board has seen the movie. I'm moreso curious from a POV of someone that likes TLJ how they'll feel about ROS and what they feel will retcons.

I can tell you that a lot of the online talk I've read leading up to this is that people who liked TLJ are geared up to hate what this movie does.

Problem is that a lot of the TLJ fans are extremists. I liked it a lot but it has some major issues while the TLJ fans argue that it is the best Star Wars movie which is just laughable.

Meanwhile a lot of the extreme TLJ haters are celebrating that "they won" and seem to be reveling in TLJ fans being disappointed which is just pathetic.

People who seemed to like both TFA and TLJ as "enjoyable movies and that's all they needed to be" seem to be pissed at how ROS feels very reactionary instead of simply doing its own thing.

Star Wars fans are the absolute worst.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I can tell you that a lot of the online talk I've read leading up to this is that people who liked TLJ are geared up to hate what this movie does.

Problem is that a lot of the TLJ fans are extremists. I liked it a lot but it has some major issues while the TLJ fans argue that it is the best Star Wars movie which is just laughable.

Meanwhile a lot of the extreme TLJ haters are celebrating that "they won" and seem to be reveling in TLJ fans being disappointed which is just pathetic.

People who seemed to like both TFA and TLJ as "enjoyable movies and that's all they needed to be" seem to be pissed at how ROS feels very reactionary instead of simply doing its own thing.

TLJ fans are the extemists? Nah those that hated film , have trashed it and anyone who liked it for 2 years now and tried to call it worst film in series are extremists

Anyone who could watch Episodes I and II and say with straight face that they were better then TLJ are extremists

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
TLJ fans are the extemists? Nah those that hated film , have trashed it and anyone who liked it for 2 years now and tried to call it worst film in series are extremists

Anyone who could watch Episodes I and II and say with straight face that they were better then TLJ are extremists

No I mean that people who think TLJ was "amazing" and "perfect" are extremists and those fans are already foaming at the (twitter) mouth about this movie.

I liked TLJ a lot but it has some big problems and isn't anywhere near ANH or ESB in terms of quality.

I can't get too political but it is very clear that there are people who are very "politically invested" in adoring/hating TLJ.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Read a few reviews that call IX a "course-correction" to VIII.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I'm still trying to figure out how the ST has split people into so many different factions. It's not even like the PT were it was simply people who didn't like and people who eventually did. Maybe it's just what social media does? Maybe it's a perfect storm of newer fans coming to Star Wars and choosing different things to enjoy about the films.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm still trying to figure out how the ST has split people into so many different factions. It's not even like the PT were it was simply people who didn't like and people who eventually did. Maybe it's just what social media does? Maybe it's a perfect storm of newer fans coming to Star Wars and choosing different things to enjoy about the films.

Basically everybody knew the prequels were garbage as soon as they saw them.

The big difference in my mind is social media but especially the cottage industry of YouTubers. Starting with TFA you had a ridiculous explosion of fan theories channels that all offered the same platitudes and TLJ took a monumental dump on all of them. I liked that but it obviously created an insane online backlash; add to that the issues of TLJ (stupid side stories that take way too much time) and the political discouse (diversity is the ultimate good/bad) of recent years and you get a hyper volatile mix.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Basically everybody knew the prequels were garbage as soon as they saw them.

The big difference in my mind is social media but especially the cottage industry of YouTubers. Starting with TFA you had a ridiculous explosion of fan theories channels that all offered the same platitudes and TLJ took a monumental dump on all of them. I liked that but it obviously created an insane online backlash; add to that the issues of TLJ (stupid side stories that take way too much time) and the political discouse (diversity is the ultimate good/bad) of recent years and you get a hyper volatile mix.
That and then all the different sub-groups that enjoyed TLJ. Sure, you have a group that likes anything with the name Star Wars on it. You have some that like how it seems like more of a unique take. But, then you have some that seem obsessed with the Reylo parts. Groups that seem to want to counter and troll the haters by declaring TLJ the greatest SW movie.

In the end, I just hope to god Disney/Lucasfilm learn that next time, just make a plan. You can't just slap Star Wars on something and expect the fans to go crazy about it. I'm not sure that they have learned this, but I hope they did.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That and then all the different sub-groups that enjoyed TLJ. Sure, you have a group that likes anything with the name Star Wars on it. You have some that like how it seems like more of a unique take. But, then you have some that seem obsessed with the Reylo parts. Groups that seem to want to counter and troll the haters by declaring TLJ the greatest SW movie.

In the end, I just hope to god Disney/Lucasfilm learn that next time, just make a plan. You can't just slap Star Wars on something and expect the fans to go crazy about it. I'm not sure that they have learned this, but I hope they did.

My understanding is that Kathleen Kenedy recently said they were dumping the trilogy format (something we all agreed was needed a few weeks ago in this very thread) so they are learning.

One of the things to remember is that Star Wars is basically an entire industry: the movies might make a lot of money but the brand has been badly damaged by the ST (Galaxy's Edge weak attendance, marchandise not selling etc...).

Disney execs have made Star Wars a laughing stock and turned almost everybody against it, even people like me (I am very easy to please). What a disaster.

Anyway, we'll see how the general public reacts soon enough.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They are certainly on a payroll

There have some scathing impressions. A fairly reputable reviewer said it was downright bad and some other guy said he had never walked out of a Star Wars movie feeling disappointed until now.

It is disingenuous to claim that anyone positive is a shill. Far more likely that "average people" don't care about the universe that much and will simply enjoy the spectacle.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
A hugely expensive, well made shitty finale to a series of hugely expensive well made shitty movies. That's all this is and will be. This trilogy added nothing but UNDID everything the first six movies did.

Won't see it and will pretend they were never made.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There have some scathing impressions. A fairly reputable reviewer said it was downright bad and some other guy said he had never walked out of a Star Wars movie feeling disappointed until now.

It is disingenuous to claim that anyone positive is a shill. Far more likely that "average people" don't care about the universe that much and will simply enjoy the spectacle.
I think you just have a find reviewers that you trust and respect. I shake my head at the "reviewers" on twitter that are saying things that they were crying tears of joy and all that stuff. I'd say I'm a pretty hardcore fan, but I have never once cried tears of joy for a SW movie or any movie for that fact.

Reactions: Shockmaster

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I have a feeling that the whole movie was leaked. I fear that I will see what I read week ago.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Yes.

What baffles me the most is how much energy is spent discussing a "paint-by-the-numbers" sci fi epic.

I mean, I get the cultural importance. I understand what it means to people. Think about it though... what is Star Wars? Basic fantasy tropes in space with genius merchandising/marketing... and the first one came at the right time.

Story-wise, it was never ground breaking. NEVER! It re-uses, wisely, tropes, that have been established by Greek tragedy. TLJ does it as well and I am sure this one will too.

I often wonder what people expect. Masterpieces? They never were. Star Wars always has been mediocre. Even Empire Strikes Back is very paint-by-the-numbers... EVEN the twist at the end is. It is well-directed and very enjoyable, but it is not a masterpiece.

I love Star Wars and always will, but see it as what it is. I am not trying to deconstruct it and analyze it too much. I either enjoy or not. I do not try to push it further.

I respect people that do, it is their prerogative, but I just do not understand.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Wow, that bad huh

Reactions: DougieSmash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad