Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
To be fair, a lot of people (including hardcore Marvel fans) were freaking out about the plot and script of Endgame when it first released. It ended up just fine. Never know for sure how things will work out until you actually see them play out on the screen.

Do you want to discuss the leaked plot outline? Because I'd love to!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Visually this looks absolutely stunning. Some of the visuals in that trailer are epic, and that is putting it mildly.

If only (hopefully) the story matches the visuals.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The first trailer back in April had Palpatine's laugh. The D23 trailer had dark Rey with a red double-bladed lightsaber. This trailer really didn't reveal any surprises.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I like Star Wars but I never got emotional watching it. Most main stream movies/blockbusters/popcorn flicks, really. Maybe it's just me.
You didn't get emotional in Empire strikes back when you find out that Darth Vader is Luke's father?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You didn't get emotional in Empire strikes back when you find out that Darth Vader is Luke's father?

At this point I would guess that the majority of Star Wars' audience already knew the "I am your father" reveal long before they ever watched the actual movie.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They probably already have.
Doubt it. People don't incorporate all of the finances. Not just cost of films, but they dont take home the full box office, just a cut of it. They invested heavily in theme parks and have had disappointing returns so far. Toys in general have been down. Not saying it's dead, but I doubt they are a current net positive.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. All the previews we've seen of this movie show space ship in planetary settings. JJ seems to like it that way.

I meant to say I thought I saw a bunch of ships in space. Like when there are tons of ships in the shot, are those not in space? Guess it's hard to tell for me.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Do you want to discuss the leaked plot outline? Because I'd love to!

I will wait until the movie comes out. If it's going to be disappointing, I'd rather wait until then to find out :laugh: Though I'm guessing since I've seen so many people talk about these leaks, someone is going to spoil it for me eventually.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm sure they won't be all too far off after this movie, assuming there isn't some huge unforeseen tank at the box office.
Yeah, they probably aren't terribly too far off. My guess would be this and then a combo of the Disney+ shows or the next big movie after that. My point just being that once Disney feels they have course corrected and the fandom aren't at each others throats, we'll see a lot of Star Wars, even if the next big movie isn't for a little bit. The whole Star Wars fatigue bit was always PR spin.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think my mentality with this film will be to try and separate how I evaluate it. We already know there wasn't much of an overall plan for it, so I won't knock this one too much if it feels like they are having to do a lot of plot explaining or if the Palpatine part feels clunky. A bunch of the stuff that is going to happen in 9, would've ideally took place in 8, but that's over and done with.

Rey finally does some actual training, not until the final film lol.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Star Wars fatigue, like super hero fatigue, only happens once multiple movies in a row sucked the life out of everything. It hasn't happened yet for Marvel but with how mediocre Phase 4 looks, it could still happen.

TLJ got everyone talking so it managed to keep Star Wars relevant in a weird way; mostly thanks to the haters spending years talking about it, even after everyone has moved on.

This is why I was hoping they'd actually go dark after Episode IX for maybe 5 years or so (in terms of big movie releases): give time for everyone to breathe and let Disney actually have a plan for Star Wars instead of having their massively overpaid execs simply assume Star Wars is a license to print money.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Star Wars fatigue, like super hero fatigue, only happens once multiple movies in a row sucked the life out of everything. It hasn't happened yet for Marvel but with how mediocre Phase 4 looks, it could still happen.

TLJ got everyone talking so it managed to keep Star Wars relevant in a weird way; mostly thanks to the haters spending years talking about it, even after everyone has moved on.

This is why I was hoping they'd actually go dark after Episode IX for maybe 5 years or so (in terms of big movie releases): give time for everyone to breathe and let Disney actually have a plan for Star Wars instead of having their massively overpaid execs simply assume Star Wars is a license to print money.

It wasn't just the haters spending all the time talking about it. Have you seen some of the Reylo's harrass Adam Driver and his family? There are crazies on both sides of TLJ.

It kind of sucks because I thought the anthology film idea was really good. Solo just failed for a few different reasons. It wasn't a story we were all that interested in. It came at a time when the fans were incredibly split, regardless of what you think of TLJ, we can all admit it split the fans. And then small moments in the film that ruined it for some, for me it was how he got the name Solo. Besides most of that, it was a pretty fun ride. If that was a completely unique character, the movie would've done better IMO.

I would've loved an anthology movie about the bounty hunters in Empire, but at least we'll sort of get that in Mando. I thought the concept of Rogue One was great. An untold story, so it's unique, but it was nostalgic at times, especially the space battle.

Sep 19, 2008
Trailer seems fine

I will buy it when it comes out on DVD

I have liked the new Star War movies outside of Solo which I haven't seen. Don't get the hate but whatever

They are better then the prequels and Return of the Jedi easily
Solo is on Netflix

Watch it

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It wasn't just the haters spending all the time talking about it. Have you seen some of the Reylo's harrass Adam Driver and his family? There are crazies on both sides of TLJ.

The haters are the ones who are still posting videos on Youtube about how TLJ is social engineering. Of course there are crazies on both side, that is never not case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad