Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Anyone see Freddie Prinze Jr's rant? Not sure why he's so upset and why so many people go with the "it's for kids" argument.

Do I need to watch it or is it as shallow as all the other “Star Wars is a movie about space wizards for kids” arguments the last couple of years?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Do I need to watch it or is it as shallow as all the other “Star Wars is a movie about space wizards for kids” arguments the last couple of years?
He basically rants how everyone is wrong about the force and he's been taught by Filoni who was taught by Lucas. Through his rant, he shows a fundamental lack of understanding though. Then yeah, the typical dumb kid argument. I'm always amazed at how some can view their fandom so negatively.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh, he added the you're just mad Han gave the Falcon to a girl argument. No one is upset about that because Han died before he passed it on to anyone, but it is weird that Chewie didn't take it over and he just remained co-pilot.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Oh, he added the you're just mad Han gave the Falcon to a girl argument. No one is upset about that because Han died before he passed it on to anyone, but it is weird that Chewie didn't take it over and he just remained co-pilot.

Chewbacca is an awful character, he serves absolutely no purpose except to grunt.

Reactions: Seedtype

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Trailer is tonight during MNF. Time to find out if there is truth to the detailed leaks that are out there. Also wonder if the rumor of significant re-shoots is true.

My suspicion is that they are going to have JJ try to please everyone, but in the end it'll please no one.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Trailer is tonight during MNF. Time to find out if there is truth to the detailed leaks that are out there. Also wonder if the rumor of significant re-shoots is true.

My suspicion is that they are going to have JJ try to please everyone, but in the end it'll please no one.

I'd be surprised if they were at all interested in trying to please the misogynistic/incel segment of the Star Wars fanbase.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd be surprised if they were at all interested in trying to please the misogynistic/incel segment of the Star Wars fanbase.
Those people make up a very small sliver of the people that didn't like TFA and/or TLJ. For example, the people that don't like Rey's character, most don't like her for substance reasons, not because she's a girl. Do we really need to do this discussion again or did I just miss your sarcasm?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Those people make up a very small sliver of the people that didn't like TFA and/or TLJ. For example, the people that don't like Rey's character, most don't like her for substance reasons, not because she's a girl. Do we really need to do this discussion again or did I just miss your sarcasm?

We don't need to have this discussion again, but suffice it to say that I don't agree that it's a small sliver. I never have. I think a lot of people (not everyone) who rationalizes their dislike of Rey by saying it's about her character are full of shit. Not necessarily consciously full of shit, but full of shit nonetheless.

You also said that they'd try to please everyone, which would include that particular segment.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We don't need to have this discussion again, but suffice it to say that I don't agree that it's a small sliver. I never have. I think a lot of people (not everyone) who rationalizes their dislike of Rey by saying it's about her character are full of ****. Not necessarily consciously full of ****, but full of **** nonetheless.

You also said that they'd try to please everyone, which would include that particular segment.
So, you honestly believe that the people that don't like Rey's character, that the main reason for so is because she is a girl? The reasons for not liking her are very similar to the reasons for not liking Anakin in the prequels. If you are just going to assume intentions instead of discussing the substance, then what's the point of your comment?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So, you honestly believe that the people that don't like Rey's character, that the main reason for so is because she is a girl? The reasons for not liking her are very similar to the reasons for not liking Anakin in the prequels. If you are just going to assume intentions instead of discussing the substance, then what's the point of your comment?

We’ve discussed the substance to death. Like you said, we don’t need to have that discussion again.

And yeah, I believe a lot of the reason is because of that. I believe it because of a lot of fan content that’s out there that isn’t about Rey at all, in addition to the nearly hysterical edge to much of what I see that is about her.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Then why turn the discussion to misogyny when it was a post about the trailer and the type of movie JJ will do.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's not necessarily about not liking Rey, it can about not liking how she's been handled.

I like most of the new characters Rey/Finn/Poe, but I think their potential has been mostly botched in the first two films. Especially Finn.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Re-shoots aren't that big of an "issue" in today's movie world.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's not necessarily about not liking Rey, it can about not liking how she's been handled.

I like most of the new characters Rey/Finn/Poe, but I think their potential has been mostly botched in the first two films. Especially Finn.
Right. Finn's character had so much potential, but he's been completely wasted. He was one of the characters that felt completely new and unique. He was taken as a child slave into the First Order, but then on Canto Bight, he's not the one trying to go out of the way to free the child slaves. Such an opportunity there, but just wasted.

Rey is written with some flaws, but there is no character that challenges her on those flaws and those flaws never lead to her actually losing anything in the end. Take something as simple and subtle as the 2 scenes where Luke and Rey are in the Falcon shooting down TIE fighters. When Luke gets one and Han is sensing his over-confidence and naivety, he tells Luke to not get cocky to keep him focused on the mission. Rey on the other hand makes her comment on liking it and then proceeds to get a triple kill and pulls all the TIE fighters away from the fight. At a time when her over-confidence and naivety should be put in check, it's just fed more and is led to more success.

Poe actually got his flaws put in check by Holdo. Whether you like Holdo and how that arc was done or not, at least there was some decent character development with Poe.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Re-shoots aren't that big of an "issue" in today's movie world.
Yeah, that's what I suspect to be true. Just some minor adjustments. We already know JJ filmed many different versions of certain scenes, so depending on how things got put together, it might've required something more.

I'm not saying it's an issue either, just curious that if they are happening, how significant they are and how much they might change the plot from the leaks that are out there.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, that's what I suspect to be true. Just some minor adjustments. We already know JJ filmed many different versions of certain scenes, so depending on how things got put together, it might've required something more.

I'm not saying it's an issue either, just curious that if they are happening, how significant they are and how much they might change the plot from the leaks that are out there.

One of the most famous recent re-shoots was RDJ's final line in Endgame which was shot very late.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There was a teaser just released for the trailer. Looks pretty good, a Resistance version of the massive FO/Sith fleet. Hopefully the space battle is awesome and not too cluttered with ships.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Soooo excited for the trailer

Does anyone else watch Mike Zeroh videos , just to laugh at him?

This one is especially bad.

Warning: Possible spoilers that probably won't be true in the video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad