Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I hate that they keep going to prequels and stuff, but Anson Mount has been the best thing about Discovery so I'm ok with this.

"A classic Star Trek show that deals with optimism and the future."

Reactions: montreal and Puck

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
"Akiva Goldsman will pen the series premiere from a story by him and his Discovery and Picard colleague Alex Kurtzman"

No thanks.

Also, there's a 100% chance Kirk will be in this.

Reactions: Blender and Osprey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
"Akiva Goldsman will pen the series premiere from a story by him and his Discovery and Picard colleague Alex Kurtzman"

No thanks.

Also, there's a 100% chance Kirk will be in this.
I seriously don't understand how these people were ever given shows to run. Whose relative are they?

Reactions: johnjm22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I seriously don't understand how these people were ever given shows to run. Whose relative are they?
It's all about who you know I guess.

Akiva got lucky once and won an award he didn't deserve so he's set for life now. He'll always have the title of "Award Winning Screenwriter".

As for Kurtzman it's baffling. He's the biggest Hollywood hack I've ever seen. He's a corporate yes man I presume. He'll do whatever the suits want. Plus he's friends with JJ and that will take you a long ways I suppose.

Reactions: Osprey and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's all about who you know I guess.

Akiva got lucky once and won an award he didn't deserve so he's set for life now. He'll always have the title of "Award Winning Screenwriter".

As for Kurtzman it's baffling. He's the biggest Hollywood hack I've ever seen. He's a corporate yes man I presume. He'll do whatever the suits want. Plus he's friends with JJ and that will take you a long ways I suppose.
"Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, brought to you by the people responsible for classics like Transformers, Batman & Robin, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Mummy."

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I must admit I do love the title "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds".

But we got hoodwinked by titles like Discovery and Beyond.

These titles are about marketing; not about the content of the stories they're associated with. They're largely a response to fan complaints that nuTrek doesn't do exploring.

I suspect we'll see something similar with SNW. It'll be a vehicle for shoehorning in Kirk at some point and cramming in as many memberberries as possible. The title of the show will become meaningless and ironic, just as it is with Discovery.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I must admit I do love the title "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds".

But we got hoodwinked by titles like Discovery and Beyond.

These titles are about marketing; not about the content of the stories they're associated with. They're largely a response to fan complaints that nuTrek doesn't do exploring.

I suspect we'll see something similar with SNW. It'll be a vehicle for shoehorning in Kirk at some point and cramming in as many memberberries as possible. The title of the show will become meaningless and ironic, just as it is with Discovery.
Discovery turned out just to be the name of the ship. There was maybe 2 or 3 episodes that had any discovering being done at all.

At least we know with this one that "Strange New Worlds" isn't just the name of the ship, and hopefully when Anson Mount says it's a classic Trek series he means it. I like Anson Mount though, he was fantastic in Hell on Wheels and was a great Pike in Discovery season 2, so I'm confident he can carry a show even if the writing isn't always up to the task.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
How many Star Trek shows do people need? :laugh: There's already like three and the Orville.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

No thanks.

I checked out at the same sentence. Part of why Star Wars is interesting right now is that a lot of different, creative people (Favreau, Filoni, Waititi, etc.) are getting their chance with it, yet we're stuck with the same two questionably talented people having their fingers in every... single... Trek project. Consistency is good, but consistent mediocrity isn't.

That checks me back in slightly, but I don't have faith in the guys who concocted the story lines for Discovery and Picard following through on that. I expect a show that's optimistic for 15 minutes at the start and end, but un-Trek like in between. Who knows. Maybe this depressing global pandemic has sincerely convinced them of the need for an optimistic show. If so, it's still kind of sad that this is what it took to convince them make an optimistic Trek show.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
While I get dislike for another show that latches onto old Trek standbys instead of exploring new ground, Mount as Pike was one of the only redeeming things about the last season of Discovery. I'll take a potentially good series that treads on well-worn ground than awful newness like Discovery's ship full of unlikeable idiots (and Saru). Picard wasn't great either because of how much it was willing to abandon the precepts of its characters and common sense to try and tell a different story, but maybe a Pike series has an advantage there because (a) it's restricted from going too far off the rails by the fact that it has to play nice with all the canon that occurs after Pike's tenure as captain of the Enterprise and (b) Pike as a character is mostly unexplored territory aside from The Cage, his Discovery turn, and what little you can count from him appearing as a space vegetable in The Menagerie.

f***.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
(a) it's restricted from going too far off the rails by the fact that it has to play nice with all the canon that occurs after Pike's tenure as captain of the Enterprise
As we all know, these showrunners did a great job being faithful to established canon with Discovery. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As we all know, these showrunners did a great job being faithful to established canon with Discovery. :sarcasm:

I was thinking the same thing. Discovery took place in the same time period and look how that went. The writers proved on that show that they're willing to violate canon just as long as they cover it up in the end by having Starfleet never speak of it again and eliminating the evidence.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hate that they keep going to prequels and stuff, but Anson Mount has been the best thing about Discovery so I'm ok with this.

I haven't gotten around to seeing Discovery yet but Anson Mount was great in Hell on Wheels so I look forward to see him in this at some point.

I'm hoping to do a massive Star Trek re-watch first, every series and then finish with Discovery and Picard, although with how busy i've been at work I might not be finished until this new show is out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Just let me have a little hope that this won't be a car crash like Discovery or alternating moments of engaging fanservice crossed with baffling idiocy like Picard.

The one thing I'll say for the recent Trek is that it's made me appreciate that Enterprise is better than I initially gave it credit for. Because it could've turned into what we've been getting recently with little issue, but managed to at least be a halfway better approximation of proper Trek than Mary Sue Space Jesus Burnham has been.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Just let me have a little hope that this won't be a car crash like Discovery or alternating moments of engaging fanservice crossed with baffling idiocy like Picard.

The one thing I'll say for the recent Trek is that it's made me appreciate that Enterprise is better than I initially gave it credit for. Because it could've turned into what we've been getting recently with little issue, but managed to at least be a halfway better approximation of proper Trek than Mary Sue Space Jesus Burnham has been.
Enterprise season 3 and 4 were decent enough. The first season is really bad especially though. Season 2 is a bit more up and down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->