Movies: Star Trek 4

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Report: ‘Walking Dead’ Actress Danai Gurira Under Consideration For Role In ‘Star Trek 4’

Activity on the Star Trek 4 project continues to heat up with a new report today that indicates early casting is already underway.

Today the trades reported that The Walking Dead and Black Panther actress Danai Gurira has been tapped as a lead in the next MonsterVerse film, Godzilla vs. Kong. But the Deadline article about Gurira also adds that “sources said she is also circling the next Star Trek film at Paramount, the one that brought on S.J. Clarkson to become the first woman to helm a film in the vaunted Trek series.”

Haven't heard anything about the expected release date, but it looks like they're really going forward with Star Trek 4.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
which star trek 4 are you talking about?

there are 2 of them
There's two Star Trek movies in the works. Only one of them is Star Trek 4. The other one is Tarantino's project which doesn't have a working title yet.

Star Trek 4 is supposed to be directed by SJ Clarkson.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I imagine this means that we won't get any more of Sofia Boutella's alien character from Beyond. Shame. I was kind of hoping maybe she could be the person who inherits Chekov's role. Plus it'd be cool to have an alien character as part of the core crew. They're usually the best parts of most Trek series (or in the case of Doug Jones on Discovery, one of the only good parts)

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Hopefully they do something creative and don't roll out a reboot of a Trek Verse known villain, don't bring back Mudd, or anything like that.

Actually I think its time to really bring the Klingons into play or the Romulans. Or something more on a group of enemies threatening war.

Don't destroy the Enterprise again.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Reboot of the whales time travel plot???

Yes please!

From Futurama?

giphy.gif

:sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hopefully they do something creative and don't roll out a reboot of a Trek Verse known villain, don't bring back Mudd, or anything like that.

Actually I think its time to really bring the Klingons into play or the Romulans. Or something more on a group of enemies threatening war.

Don't destroy the Enterprise again.

Villain from the next Trek: the God-being from Star Trek V, rebooted so that now he's played by Michael Caine.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I imagine this means that we won't get any more of Sofia Boutella's alien character from Beyond. Shame. I was kind of hoping maybe she could be the person who inherits Chekov's role. Plus it'd be cool to have an alien character as part of the core crew. They're usually the best parts of most Trek series (or in the case of Doug Jones on Discovery, one of the only good parts)

I hope Boutella comes back. I liked Jaylah a lot and it would be a shame if she wasn't there.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I have one shred of hope for this film: Since the previous 3 Abramsverse movies had limited box office returns, I assume Paramount will want to cut the budget for ST4. That means less action and special FX, meaning they'll have to focus on story and character.

And that's a good thing.

Reactions: Classic Devil

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
'Star Trek 4' Rumored to Feature Female Villain, New Female Hero
According to That Hashtag Show, Clarkson’s Star Trek film is now in the casting phase. Clarkson is reportedly looking for two actresses between the ages of 45 and 60, one to play the film’s chief antagonist and the other to play a hero.

That Hashtag Show had no further details to offer about these new characters. While the villain is likely intended to be an episodic antagonist like Nero, Khan, and Krall before her, fans may wonder if this new female hero could replace Ensign Pavel Cheko
God damn I hope the embolden isn't true.

One of the cool things about The Voyage Home and The Motion Picture is that there was no real villain.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
There was this little event in federation history called "The Dominion War", maybe no one's heard of it? Guess it's not an important enough part of Federation history to do a movie on.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
There was this little event in federation history called "The Dominion War", maybe no one's heard of it? Guess it's not an important enough part of Federation history to do a movie on.

That was like 80-some years into the future from Kirk's generation...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That was like 80-some years into the future from Kirk's generation...

But the Dominion sent the 100 into the galaxy centuries before the events of DS9 to explore the world, and let them know what was out there in the galaxy. Remember that they knew so much about Earth and the Federation, and that wasn't just because ships went through the wormhole.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'd love it if they stopped making prequels, and sequels, and rehashing old characters and stories, and actually came up with something new that wasn't attempting to rely on fan nostalgia to work.

Reactions: NyQuil and KirkOut

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'd love it if they stopped making prequels, and sequels, and rehashing old characters and stories, and actually came up with something new that wasn't attempting to rely on fan nostalgia to work.
No studio is going to risk $300M+ on something new unfortunately.

Star Trek is basically dead. It has too much baggage. It's caught in a cycle; it has to be either nostalgia for old fans, and/or action schlock to appeal to general audiences.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No studio is going to risk $300M+ on something new unfortunately.

Star Trek is basically dead. It has too much baggage. It's caught in a cycle; it has to be either nostalgia for old fans, and/or action schlock to appeal to general audiences.
There is no good reason that they need to spend that much on a Star Trek property. The sole reason that they do is an attempt to create an action blockbuster to appeal to general audiences.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

The Dominion War might as well not exist going forward because it was covered in DS9, a series that only hardcore Trekkers watched. As long as Star Trek continues to be all about mass marketability, they'll continue to mine the first two series or create new content (which I have doubts of them doing, but see it over revisiting a decades-old topic that only hardcore fans care about because at least they'd have creative freedom).

There is no good reason that they need to spend that much on a Star Trek property. The sole reason that they do is an attempt to create an action blockbuster to appeal to general audiences.

As mediocre as the TNG films were, at least Paramount targeted them at Star Trek fans and budgeted accordingly, at about half what typical blockbusters cost at the time. They didn't give them budgets to compete with the yearly top blockbusters for general audiences.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth 'Star Trek 4' Future In Doubt as Talks Fall Through (Exclusive)

"The two actors were in negotiations to star in Star Trek 4 but sources say that talks between the two actors and the companies making the new installment, Paramount Pictures and Skydance Media, have fallen apart, with both sides walking away from the table.

Dealmaking with other returning castmembers — including Zoe Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and John Cho — was expected to follow.

The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Pine and Hemsworth, among Hollywood’s A-list when starring in DC or Marvel movies, are said to be asking the studios to stick to existing deals. Paramount, according to insiders, contends that Trek is not like a Marvel or Star Wars movie and is trying to hold the line on a budget."

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth 'Star Trek 4' Future In Doubt as Talks Fall Through (Exclusive)

"The two actors were in negotiations to star in Star Trek 4 but sources say that talks between the two actors and the companies making the new installment, Paramount Pictures and Skydance Media, have fallen apart, with both sides walking away from the table.

Dealmaking with other returning castmembers — including Zoe Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and John Cho — was expected to follow.

The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Pine and Hemsworth, among Hollywood’s A-list when starring in DC or Marvel movies, are said to be asking the studios to stick to existing deals. Paramount, according to insiders, contends that Trek is not like a Marvel or Star Wars movie and is trying to hold the line on a budget."
Hopefully they just scrap that entire line of movies and do something original.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hopefully they just scrap that entire line of movies and do something original.

If they want to go for something not seen in tv or movie but in other Star Trek media, go for the Iconians. A major opponent in the Star Trek Online game.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

could be interesting. The last two movies did not make as much money as hoped and they may just recast-and that is when the fun begins

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I always felt that with Chekov no longer in the movies (really sad) it would be a good idea to bring in a young Ilia, an an Ensign because you know, she is a navigator and TMP is only supposed to be a few years after TOS ends. I know Troi was kind of a reinterpretation of her, but always felt like Deltans were only used as background characters in Treks II-VI and were never really brought up much in TNG+.

I'm not a huge fan of this reboot, but it would be a shame because I'd like to see what this version of the Enterprise-A would look like.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I have mixed feelings about whether or not I want to see these Kelvinverse films continue.

While I haven't enjoyed most of what we've seen so far, I do like that the cast is getting older which makes them more believable as senior bridge officers. (The were too young before IMO). By now they should have good chemistry as well.

What they need is a good script and a good director. Less pew-pew and less explosions. Get a director that will tell Simon Pegg to act normal and stop saying lassie every other word. Tell Zach Quinto to stop acting smug and preachy. Spock is supposed to be stoic with a very subtle dry sense of humor that doesn't break the character. It's a fine line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->