Star players that you never liked

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Didn't think of Avery, probably because I don't think of him as a star, but I still don't like him much. Heard him on the radio being interviewed, liked him even less.....

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Jeff Carter
Ilya Kovalchuk
Mark Messier
Alex Tanguay
Martin Brodeur (liked him as a kid)
Brendan Shanahan
Thomas Chabot
Erik Karlsson
Chris Chelios
Ed Belfour
Chris Pronger
Scott Stevens
Tom Barrasso

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He injured a Soviet in the 1987 Canada Cup victory for Canada. He cried when he won the cup. He spoke of family and commitment and country and desire for the cup through teary eyes. He gave it his all in the biggest games in Montreal, New Jersey, Colorado and for Team Canada. **** Draper. The Wings-Avs rivalry was a war and he epitomized it with the spark he ignited. (Shut up Cherry. You did enough to disrespect Howe and Gretzky with your Orr pimping over the years - not to mention your ridicule of Roy's name until your sidekick called you out on it in '95).

Lemieux, Tikkanen, Messier, Howe, Lindsay, Shore, Cleghorn, Lalonde...

All EXHIBIT the all-out determination to succeed, Lady Byng be damned.

Hence, I've come to appreciate Gary Suter, Pat Verbeek, Chris Pronger.
The guys you listed here didn't roll around on the ice, faking injuries, on a weekly basis.

Saint PeterTheGreat

Apr 1, 2018
Hated Alfredsson. Aside from the fact that I'm a Leafs fan and I was just a kid when he came to the league, he did a lot of things I couldn't stand. Some dirty hits, the shot at Niedermayer in the playoffs, just came across as a bit of a rat to me.

Personally i hate he's Dirty rat bastard brother efter the cheap shot on Forsberg in the World Championship final 2004.

Don't like Pronger or Crosby either. Damn good players though.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Lindros, the man needed to shutup at the draft and go to Quebec City. Reminds me of Eli Manning whining about the Chargers.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Theo Fleury
Was always a hot dog, and an agitator who'd flee the scene after stirring up trouble. A loud mouth, who's demons eventually got the better of him.
He is treated differently in retrospect, due to the rough upbringing. But I disliked him long before that history became public knowledge.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Team Canada so scared of Forsberg's skills they have to deliberately injure him. Pathetic. :laugh:

By the way, people can be paralyzed by such hits. But alas, it will always impress the "all-out determination to succeed" crowd. (Lance Armstrong and other cheaters had that mentality too, the "all-out determination to succeed")

Reactions: Saint PeterTheGreat

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Team Canada so scared of Forsberg's skills they have to deliberately injure him. Pathetic. :laugh:

By the way, people can be paralyzed by such hits. But alas, it will always impress the "all-out determination to succeed" crowd. (Lance Armstrong and other cheaters had that mentality too, the "all-out determination to succeed")

Yeah because team Canada didn't have half their team equal or greater then Forsberg.

Refs probably thought he was diving again.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I always hated Jacques “Captain Combover” Lemaire.

Messier, I hated too. Then he signed with the Canucks and I thought “yay, finally he’ll be our bastard”, but he was just a shadow of his s.o.b. self. And I hated him more.

edit: "signed with" not "traded to"

Last edited:

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I always hated Jacques “Captain Combover” Lemaire.

Messier, I hated too. Then he got traded to the Canucks and I thought “yay, finally he’ll be our bastard”, but he was just a shadow of his s.o.b. self. And I hated him more.

As a coach I get it but Lemaire seems random to hate as a player.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
As a coach I get it but Lemaire seems random to hate as a player.
In fairness, that comb-over is pretty sad:
140037-9259563Fr.jpg

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Crosby: A whining pretty boy.

To be honest this is pretty much what I thought when he entered the league. It felt wrong when he had even C given. Well now he is in the talks of being greatest capteins in NHL (or atleast there was thread of this kind in the main board while ago). I wouldn´t go that far, but he is example that you can grow leaders.

Shanahan´s stint in Whalers (and Coffeys) left bit of bad taste of those players. It is slightly strange because I never had problems with what Lindros did in his draft year...

I guess I still was more of Sharks fan when Belfour visited there. Don´t remember that fondly.

The older you get the less passionate you are disliking players. :) (though there is Jarkko Ruutu, but he is hardly a star player :laugh:)

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Crosby is not pretty by any reasonble standards. Very average looking individual with a slight nerd aura.
Prettier than Ovechkin, Malkin, McDavid etc. It is something about his aura this is really annoying and irritating. :) Although he is a fantastic hockey player I really hope McDavid will surpass his career achievements. Some players you just dislike even tough there is no good rational reasons to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->