Star Citizen

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Weird there is no thread about the game. It's great btw despite whatever bad press and trolls say, but I'm about its single part right now, Squadron 42. The developers announce the game is feature complete so they start to polish it. It's gonna be an epic game.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I tried Star Citizen when they had a free trial a few months ago and performance was unplayably bad on my pc (5900x and 3080 at the time). The game itself seems awesome though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was gonna say. Felt like I heard about it ages ago.

The Wing Commander series (1,2,3,4,Privateer) were some of my favourite early PC games which Chris Roberts had helmed.

That was Origin at the time who had also done the Ultima series.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I tried Star Citizen when they had a free trial a few months ago and performance was unplayably bad on my pc (5900x and 3080 at the time). The game itself seems awesome though.
No wonder you sold everything to afford a 4090. I have a 3070, so I guess that I shouldn't get excited... not that I would, anyways, since it's probably still a long ways away.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I hope the game reviews well and is a good game. But I feel like a lot of reviews are going to boil down to, 'We waited a decade for this?'.

They should have just started with a modern remake of Wing Commander and go from there. Instead they went crazy ambitious when they didn't even have a studio yet. For a game that needs several studios to make.

Now you gotta hope they hit a home run if you're a space sim fan. I say this as someone who has missed the genre and want it to come back. But I fear it'll be mocked and blows up on the launchpad.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I got Star Citizen and Starfield confused. I thought SF was the one that was in development hell for more than a decade.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It looks impressive technically, whether or not it will make for a fun game I'm not so sure yet.

I do have a lot more faith in this game eventually delivering something, than I do for Star Citizen. But, the way they talked about the state of the game, made it sound like it could easily be a couple years away still.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It looks impressive technically, whether or not it will make for a fun game I'm not so sure yet.

I do have a lot more faith in this game eventually delivering something, than I do for Star Citizen. But, the way they talked about the state of the game, made it sound like it could easily be a couple years away still.
I'm thinking it'll be another year or two. It'll make the online mode fun though, they basically play test everything in the PTU before putting it into the squadron 42 mode. It's been awhile since I hopped on but I know right around when I stopped playing they were getting ready to test online persistence in the universe.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
With that opening homage, Chris Roberts knows how to get the attention of old gamers like me who played his Wing Commander games over 30 years ago.

The fact that the video is an engine demo and titled "the future of gaming" makes me wonder if they're going to license the engine to other developers and this was to sell studios on it, as well as investors.

I like that it's promising to deliver two of the things that I was disappointed that Starfield didn't: seamless space-to-planet transitions and no loading screens, in general.

It's certainly impressive for vaporware. If it ever comes out, I'll totally buy the RTX 7090 to play it.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I was going to post in this thread earlier, but now with the new video up that's even better. Star Citizen is basically the modern day Duke Nukem Forever, take a heavy dose of skepticism over whatever they put out and I really wouldn't give them your money.

Back when kickstarter was just starting to take off, PC gaming had rebounded in a big way and now you had crowd funding to revive old discarded genres, Chris Roberts of the old Wing Commander games came out with a pitch video for a 'Space sim like they used to make them' pitch and had a highly successful kickstarter campaign.

Double checking wikipedia to get numbers correct, that was way back in 2012. A full 11 years later, and over $500M crowdfunded, they have yet to release a commercial product. 'Squadron 42' is basically what was promised back then and they easily could have delivered way back, instead Chris Roberts shifted to this big persistent universe MMO and with pre-production starting in 2011 I think it's matched Duke Nukem Forever in development time. In the meantime, there's been plenty of space sim games of all varieties developed and launched to fill that empty niche Star Citizen was going for.

I'm not mad as a prior backer, back in the day it was a good way to get old genres back in development but backing a kickstarter is no guarantee of anything and if you do it you're bound to lose out on something. I just think it's rich seeing them release a video again 11 years later calling it "The future of gaming".

Back when the pandemic shut downs and I had the afternoon to myself I actually decided to give the game an honest go. It was terrible. The locations featured in that video (I just watched a bit of it) were there, at a glance what I can tell they've just added some environmental effect, but of course in game the game looked like crap, the place was pretty much dead yet still laggy, and the most exciting thing I did in the few hours I played was ride the train as when I finally got to the hangar I hit the button to enter the cockpit of the crappy starter vessel my character climbed in and immediately popped out the other side. Took me a good 10 minutes to find just the right angle to actually get in the damn thing without popping right out or clipping through the roof or whatever. Then finally getting to leave the hangar the experience wasn't any better.

I think the point to take away from my anecdote here is that was after 8+ years of 'development' and 3 and a half years later it's still just more tech demo's. If they ever do actually release something commercially I'm skeptical it will be any better than Duke Nukem Forever ended up being.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched a good overview of the development, where the game is at and what's to come. It's informative for those of us who aren't kickstarters or following the game closely.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad