Staples Breaks Down Why Leon + Lucic Doesn't Work

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Really good watch, the numbers on Lucic + Drai together are not good. They got outscored by about 30 (goals for)-70 (goals against) in the big picture (not just one hot stretch in the Ducks series). They are terrible together, worse than McDavid + Lucic.

Also Staples is dead on, giving it to Todd for fixating on getting Lucic going and wasting almost two years before trying McDavid + RNH, McDavid's scoring rate rises big time when paired with a speedy winger. And he's also spot on, this coach needs to focus more on getting Puljujarvi going instead of Lucic.

RNH McDavid Rattie
Reider Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Lucic Strome Caggiula or Yamamoto

Should be our lines. I would also suggest trying

RNH McDavid Kassian

I think that would work with Kassian playing a Tom Wilson role, but Kassian can keep up with speed and provide some toughness.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
To me one of the single biggest headscatchers has always been why did TM waste so much time before putting McD with a speedy winger.

I really think

Nuge-McD-Yamo

will be the first line for years. I think Yamo will get a shot and excel, he is such a smart player. He will fit in perfectly. Lucic can play on the 4th line or in the AHL for all I care, he is dead weight.

Reactions: ThomasG and frag2

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
there is a compelling case to have Lucic on the third line.

I think most every fan as well as the GM wants Puljujarvi to get a real push. I'd even say that if you gave him the kind of leash that Lucic got last season, it would probably give some losses, but would pay off big and end up being worth it. You got to think that JP's success is critical factor to the success of our team in the future. Well, maybe Yama panning out could be good insurance there, but it seems like JP is question that needs to be answered soon while Yama could have to develop more away from the NHL for a while.

I also like the idea of having JP with Draisaitl.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Absolutely this. Allows for four very solid lines.

Nuge-McDavid-Yamamoto
Rieder-Drai-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Rattie/Aberg

These lines could be pretty solid. I especially like Strome getting some beef (Luc) and puck recovery (Cags) to work with. He's not a scoring-off-the-rush kind of center, so having a line that can help him cycle (since he's so soft...) might get the most out of him.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
3rd line likely would be the best spot for Lucic. Not because he no longer a top 6'er, but because it's the only spot where you can build a line around him.

He doesn't work well with speedy guys like McDavid or Draisaitl, but Strome likes to slow the play down. Eberle, Puljujarvi, Caggiula, Cammy, Yamamoto, and most any other RW they've tried in the top 6 over the last 2 years don't/can't play a cycle game; but you have Kassian and Khaira in the bottom 6 who can excel at taking the game to the corners.

RNH-McDavid-*Reward spot*
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Aberg

Top line RW goes to who earns it. Rattie, Caggiula, Yamamoto likely being the frontrunners.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
3rd line likely would be the best spot for Lucic. Not because he no longer a top 6'er, but because it's the only spot where you can build a line around him.

He doesn't work well with speedy guys like McDavid or Draisaitl, but Strome likes to slow the play down. Eberle, Puljujarvi, Caggiula, Cammy, Yamamoto, and most any other RW they've tried in the top 6 over the last 2 years don't/can't play a cycle game; but you have Kassian and Khaira in the bottom 6 who can excel at taking the game to the corners.

RNH-McDavid-*Reward spot*
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Aberg

Top line RW goes to who earns it. Rattie, Caggiula, Yamamoto likely being the frontrunners.

I am probably going a little too far saying he is a 4th liner, but I really don't think he is a top 6'er any more. Maybe he will get his game back, but I doubt it. I think he is just dead weight in the top 6 at this point.

ps. I totally agree that the RW spot with Nuge and McD is the reward spot. I think you try different guys and see who gels. Rattie will get a shot, Cags, Puljujarvi, and Yamo. Possible some others as well.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Interesting since their were alot of people saying Lucic and Draisaitl would work together. Lucic just isnt a top 6 player, so no matter who hes with, that combo wont work. Lucic on the 3rd line would work probably, but to pay 6mil to a 3rd liner is even more reason to get rid of him asap

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting since their were alot of people saying Lucic and Draisaitl would work together. Lucic just isnt a top 6 player, so no matter who hes with, that combo wont work. Lucic on the 3rd line would work probably, but to pay 6mil to a 3rd liner is even more reason to get rid of him asap

Why were people saying that? Drai is an elite puck possession player, one touch passer who works best with give and go's and people can handle and move the puck. Lucic would be least qualified for that.

I Wish Yama was bigger because he has the mitts to work with Drai. Slepy did too. Drai needs players that can think the game quickly. If Yama can withstand the punishment he can work, and we know Rieder can work with Drai but if we have both Rieder and Yama the wingers are too small. If we insert Pulju we lack some of the deft quick passing plays and puck possession.

I fear we see a lot more experiments and line recombinations.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Why were people saying that? Drai is an elite puck possession player, one touch passer who works best with give and go's and people can handle and move the puck. Lucic would be least qualified for that.

I Wish Yama was bigger because he has the mitts to work with Drai. Slepy did too. Drai needs players that can think the game quickly. If Yama can withstand the punishment he can work, and we know Rieder can work with Drai but if we have both Rieder and Yama the wingers are too small. If we insert Pulju we lack some of the deft quick passing plays and puck possession.

Not that I disagree but how do we know that Rieder will work with Drai?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

We should glue JP to Draisaitl next year as I think that line would work. Id toss Reider on that line as well because he seems like hed fit as well. You surround Draisaitl with skill and support

My top line would be RNH-McDavid-Yamamoto. Big promotion for Yamamoto, but really, all he has to do is survive. RNH and McDavid would do all the heavy lifting. Id also wager Yamamoto would look pretty good given other skilled linemates. That line is mostly skill and speed, the 2nd line is more 2 way and puck possession.

Reactions: McNuge

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Lucic should be with Strome all year. I think they actually make a decent pairing. Lucic is just way too slow for McDavid, by the time he gets in position for McDavid the D are already swarming McDavid. Same with Drai, Lucic is just too slow to be effective to be with either one. Strome is much slower than both and still has enough skill to make plays with his wingers. Lucic needs to get back to his cycle game which made him so effective in Boston. He has shyed away from any type of physicality for what ever reason. That is my biggest issue with him at the moment. If he was playing physical and creating space for his line mates I don't think people would complain about him nearly as much as they do. Common Looooch

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
We should glue JP to Draisaitl next year as I think that line would work. Id toss Reider on that line as well because he seems like hed fit as well. You surround Draisaitl with skill and support

My top line would be RNH-McDavid-Yamamoto. Big promotion for Yamamoto, but really, all he has to do is survive. RNH and McDavid would do all the heavy lifting. Id also wager Yamamoto would look pretty good given other skilled linemates. That line is mostly skill and speed, the 2nd line is more 2 way and puck possession.

Agreed, JP with Drai and Rieder should work really well in theory. JP and Drai did connect for some pretty nice plays last year. But, in order for this to work Drai needs to really take control as the primary driver on his line. He has the skill to do it with out question, but he needs to be more consistent in his effort.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not that I disagree but how do we know that Rieder will work with Drai?

Because he has anytime with Germany and also that Rieder can play NHL topsix and support offense provided he is playing with capable players. Rieder also has some speed and is good for challenging for dump pucks on the boards. he doesn't necessarily win them but he can contest puck until help arrives. This being useful for the Oilers typical PP as well. Rieder typically can challenge for a puck until Drai comes in and owns. Germany relies on this as well. Rieder also reasonably pesky in NZ and can turn some pucks over which Leon would jump on.

Pretty sure it would work.

Reactions: Pointteen

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Nuge-McDavid-Yamamoto
Rieder-Drai-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Rattie/Aberg

I dunno if solid is the word I would use when 1/3 of your top 6 spots are being filled by relatively untested teenagers but needs must. I'd swap Caggiula out for Khaira or Kassian, but that's as probably as good as it gets.

Reactions: Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can staples or Willis break down what will work? They seem to post negative special stats blogs all the time.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Because he has anytime with Germany and also that Rieder can play NHL topsix and support offense provided he is playing with capable players. Rieder also has some speed and is good for challenging for dump pucks on the boards. he doesn't necessarily win them but he can contest puck until help arrives. This being useful for the Oilers typical PP as well. Rieder typically can challenge for a puck until Drai comes in and owns. Germany relies on this as well. Rieder also reasonably pesky in NZ and can turn some pucks over which Leon would jump on.

Pretty sure it would work.

Good breakdown. I’m excited to see the two of them in action. Happy to have Rieder back. I just hope they can keep it up against an NHL team on an NHL ice surface.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Nuge-McDavid-Yamamoto
Rieder-Drai-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Rattie/Aberg

That second line could be really, really good. Dominate the competition good. Lots of speed and zone control as well.

I’m continually struck by the thought that our lineup would likely be better right now without Lucic in it.

Khaira and Strome should be together - I forget where I saw it but their numbers are better with each other than they are with anyone else.

I also liked the chemistry that Caggiula and Kassian were forming at the end of last year, I remember a few nice plays that led to goals.

RNH-McDavid-Yamo
Rieder-Drai-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Aberg
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian
Rattie-Currie/Malone

I hope Lucic bounces back, I really do, but I honestly think our lineup might be better with him in the press box.

Reactions: nabob

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
they dun work cuz they slow!

Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi should be given a long look. Pulju would get to carry the puck a lot more.

Reactions: Lord Quas

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
To me one of the single biggest headscatchers has always been why did TM waste so much time before putting McD with a speedy winger.

I really think

Nuge-McD-Yamo

will be the first line for years.

Seems a bit soft...who's going to stand up for McDavid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->